Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hopeless head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Manche, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Manche

Manche

2. while that certainly is a challenge , i'm sure with the right equipment , procedures and talent it could be fixed. probably not cheap

i look forward to part 2

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

You can save anything if you are willing to spend the time and money, I think I would be looking for another head.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The bad news is that the "other" head, if it's correct for a '35 Airflow, may be worse and is very unlikely to be much better. You want a 100 point restoration. Fix it.

5. if its aluminum and you have a tig welder and lots of time, i think you could fix it rather cheaply, bore those holes out and get some aluminum plugs, and a block of aluminum. i don't think it would be that hard, but it would take a ton of time...

6. Manche

Manche

Thanks, I wanted to know if it was like giving medication to a dead guy or not.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Well , they sure arnt making them anylonger, so any attempt at getting it back to being useable is worth it in my book

8. Jagman

Jagman

The head on my old Jag was as bad as that on 3 different cylinders, my machine shop welded it all up and it came out looking like new - so yes, I think it's do-able and since it's such a rare piece, well worth the effort.

9. threeston

threeston

it can be done, if you see what the harley guys do with grenaded cases putting those jig saw puzzles back together. clean, clean clean, preheat, and jig fixture the new bolt bores etc. cant stress though the clean part enough. the aluminum seems to soak up the oil and (hydrocarbons) and then when welding it leaves a nasty black deposit, but other than that. what do you got to lose?

10. Manche

Manche

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I used to do some big alum nose cone [jet engine] molds at work that were way worse than that head, especially when contaminated with resin...Big Tig, patience and eventually experience; and being paid by the hour....

12. Not to hard to fix, have done a bunch of alloy heads and manifolds over the years for cars where finding a replacement would be like finding hens teeth. Just repaired a couple of sections on an alloy manifold of a 1918 Packard the other day, Hardest part to deal with is the corrosion on the insides of the water galleries as it makes it a prick to weld.