Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick, Got the shirt - looks great, thanks
    Don

2. Will you have any of these great looking t-shirts at Father's Day in LA? I know my brother just loves that car and he and I would probably pick up one. Do you have a couple of XL's left? I just might mail you the cash so I can wear it at the show if there is time.

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

To Dreamweaver: yes, we are restoring the original chassis and are putting another body on it.
    To Curbspeed: Yes we have some left and will probably have some on Father's Day. It usually takes 3 days for packages to get to Tucson. (I've had two children attend U of A)
    To HOTRODDON: You're close to Pomona. Hope to see you there.

4. I will have a space in the Swap selling junk and this car on Friday/Saturday [​IMG]

In fact if you guys aren't going to have a space, drop some shirts off and we'll sell em for ya

Be in the Roadster section on Sunday with this
    [​IMG]

Stop by and say HI. It will be good to see Pete as well.

By the way I noticed you live in Bradbury - I grew up in Duarte, dad was the first Vice Mayor!

5. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Beautiful Roadster Pick-up. I'll look for you out there. If you want to throw politics out there, here's a good laugh for you. 18 year councilman and 5 time Mayor. I guess it proves anyone can get elected...even a car guy.

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Finally, Here are the pictures of the chassis as we got it. If you look closely, you will see remnants of the Hugger Orange paint I shot. On the second frame picture you can see between the crossmember tubes where Pete replaced part of the frame from the previously mentioned accident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rick I PM'ed you about the t-shirts. Get ahold of me when you get a chance. Thanks Dale

8. Thanks Rick ! got my shirts ! best regards Rob

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for the photos! I am watching this one all the way. See you at Fathers Day.
    Lynn

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pete and I will be at the Los Angeles Roadster Show. I'm not quite sure where yet, so here is my cell phone number. 626-622-4488. Do me a favor, if you call and I don't pick up, leave a message. I will be wandering around part of the time also.
    We will have the shirts there.
    Thanks,
    Rick

11. NorthBayArea

NorthBayArea
    from Smyrna, DE

Awesomely Awesome!!!!! Can't wait to watch this car go together!

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I too cannot say enough how much that car influenced and excited me. I was still in high school and did not know ONE PERSON my age that knew what a Model A or '32 Ford was. All I wanted was a '29 Tudor- and BAM, that car was on the cover of hot rod it all made sense! I hated the current "street rods" of the day- but that stripped down hot rod hit me square in the heart!
    I got my Tudor on my 18th birthday at the Pomona swap Meet in 1984- all these guys were my heroes- Eastwood, Barakat, Chapouris, Jacobs, Vaughn, Krutz and "Fat Jack" Robinson. I would meet and make friends with all of them except Barakat- but you showing up here gives me hope I can meet you as well.
    And I mentioned Krutz- that's the name on the artwork for the t-shirt. History Lesson- Dale Krutz was an original 1950's SO-CAL hot rodder- his T Roadster pickup was on the cover of Car Craft in 1957 and he had many nice cars after. He was also a fireman and talented artist. I got to know him as the first "hot rodder" I ever met- he was my dad's training officer with the Redondo Beach Fire Department. He was just the ultimate in cool to a little kid in the early '70s who wished he had lived in the 1950s- a "real" Fonzie, not a TV character. He was also making hot rod T-Shirts when I was a kid and I was so happy when my dad would get us new shirts with Dale's art on them. I remember how the new ink felt and smelled. He even made special shirts for the different groups of Firemen that went to the River water skiing together- those shirts were the BEST- and I was the only one to get them in a kid size. Dale was also the cartoonist for Street Rodder and Rod Action- I would look forward to his art every month growing up.
    Dale's son was also a hot rodder. Young Mark Krutz loved hot rods- especially the ones built by the Early Times car club. He would start with a '32 Five window in high school, but switched to a '29 Tudor before graduating. He built that car into one of the most beautiful rides ever in that club when he also became the youngest member to ever join. I saw that Tudor when I was about 9 and I was HOOKED for life!
    Through Mark, his father Dale would draw the shirts for the Early Times events and Dale even drew the iconic cartoon that Fat Jack used for years of himself.
    Sadly Dale passed away a couple months ago after a very long battle with MS symptoms. Some call it the "Fireman's Disease" because many from era have suffered the same way due to the fact they used to bravely fight fires with no breathing apparatus and take in a myriad of toxic chemicals that were yet unknown to be so harmful.
    Seeing this artwork with Dale's name on it brings back a HUGE piece of my happy childhood and the memories Dale & Mark Krutz made in it as well as all the hot rodders like Eastwood and Barakat. Thank you SO MUCH for making this shirt available! I will CHERISH two of them in size 2x- hopefully they are still available. I won't be making it to the L.A. Roadster Show this year for the first time in many years since moving to Texas a month ago. I can arrange for my dad to pick up the shirts for me if you will have them. Thanks for EVERYTHING- I really mean it! Jim Aust

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Jim: You, your memories and others like you are the reason Pete and I are doing the sedan. We think there are a lot of people that remember this car as a defining time in their automotive lives(we do). It makes us feel good to hear these stories that help put the historical background together. For every story we hear, we are sure there are 10 others we don't know about but would like to. The H.A.M.B. has been a great forum for us and we know of no other like it as far as reaching real car guys. Real car guys aren't interested in how much you can spend, but how much can you do! Pete and I look forward to hearing more stories from people. I had many people private message me with stories instead of posting them. I wish they had posted them instead for all to enjoy. Have you dad call me at 626-622-4488 and I will be happy to meet with him. You may be surprised to know that your father may have known my father. I'll fill you in after I've spoken to your father.
    Regards,
    Rick

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Very cool Rick! I couldn't wait- I think I know where our Dad's know each other from. Look forward to getting the shirt and people sharing more stories. Remembered today that Dale Krutz also did the cartoon used for years in Magoo's advertising. I feel very lucky that I don't think hot rodding started when they threw together the first rat rod- the 70s and 80s were actually pretty good. ;)

15. Great write up Jim....

16. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

AAAAAaa-min to that, brotha!

17. Wish I could make it over too, that car was the one you looked too for what was cool when it came out...........now about finding one of those T-shirts

18. See ya at the show 1 xl please.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jim,
    We are not only of the same mind, but right at the same age too! I laughed when I read about being the only person in high school who knew what a model A or '32 was... Same here! My '35 sat in the back parking lot at my high school waiting to take me home after the bell rang... the seventies and eighties weren't that bad in my opinion either!
    What Eastwood and Barakat's tudor did for me was say "Look, it's cool if it's not finished... Just have fun with it)!!! Hard to believe that it's been almost thirty years ago.

20. SimonSez

SimonSez

Add me to the list of people who were influenced by this car, and would love to see it back again!

I was 19 when your car was on the cover of Hot Rod, and it definitely left an impression :)

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Got my shirts today thanks Rick!
    All the best to you and P-Wood with the project.....

22. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Just got home from the L.A. Roadster Show. If you ever have the opportunity to go, you have to do it. I met a lot of fellow hambers and swapped many stories. I met 2 young hambers from Washington that bought a 34 5 window sight unseen and are driving it home starting tomorrow morning. Pretty cool thing for a 19 and 21 year old to do. I found the perfect pair of 46-48 spindles for the sedan thanks to another fellow hamber. Pete also found the exact same rear tires we ran on the car and bought those. The puzzle is finally going together. We just need a few more little things and I might be asking you guys for some help in locating them. Oh, Jake showed up with the twisted and bent 4-bar from Pete's escapade. Till tomorrow!

23. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Ran into Pete today in the swap meet and asked about the T-shirts. Seems we're not set up too far from you guys. I'll look you up tomorrow, we're the guys from Texas with the Happy Hooker 57 T-Bird gasser.

24. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I saw your car yesterday and look forward to meeting you today. Your car has a great profile.

25. Great news Rick. Enjoying following this!

26. 5w32

5w32

email sent for 3 shirts.... wish i could have made it to the lars this year. the sedan had a huge influence on me! cant wait to see #2 come together. are you going to be at the bakersfield hot rod reunion in october?

27. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I recieved my shirt.Very good quality.I hope i have as much fun with my car as you will with the new one.

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Another good day at LARS. First of all the number of HAMB guys I met was huge. Not only that but fun to visit with and swap stories. The day flew by. I found the correct Mallory coil for the sedan. The list is shrinking. Hope to find some original door latches today.

29. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Anybody heard from the 2 guys from Washington yet??? No luck on the latches, just have to keep looking. Anyone out there have them? Yesterday was another great day for meeting fellow hambers. Australia, Virginia, Maryland, Maine, Arizona, Missouri, New Jersey, Florida and Georgia were well represented as well as California. Thanks for making this a memorable day with all the stories! Look forward to seeing everyone again.

30. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I was one of the guys that wasted your time in the swap meet. The t-shirt is bitch'n, and it was a pleasure to meet you and hang out for a bit.