Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your Dad teach you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 7, 2011.

1. guy1unico

guy1unico

Family comes first, bring your family along on trips so everyone takes it in.
    Women are all built the same so quit gaulking.
    Road trips are a better experience than flying.
    Business is not easy for anyone but play the game and try and win more than you loose.
    Cars are cool especially Jags but who needs more than one
    Politics theCapitalistic system works / liberals live in a fantasy world
    Yale - education is critical
    Sports -tennis golf swimming ...do something everyday
    Fault - did not tell his kids "I Love you" //his actions said it but I missed the words

2. Skyskier

Skyskier

how to build cars and boats, :D he built the 1/4 midget for me in 1956 :eek: 50 some years later, I built the '30 chevy for him , all the boats were built by us in between. He's 85 yrs. old now, he just bought a 1976 Sanger bubble deck flat bottom boat, BBC, 85 + mph boat :eek: had the transom painted with "My last fling...............MAYBE " :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DTs

DTs

There are better things to do than watch TV.
    Never take more than 1 drum brake apart at time.
    God didn't create all men equal, Sam Colt did.

To Artie - He is 'The Man', my hero, my friend, my Dad. - DT

4. heavy

heavy

My old man isn't a car guy really.
    He taught me how to work though.
    How to do things right. He's been a welder his whole life and I used to help him on side jobs as a kid and a teen. I learned quickly to pay attention to what's going on and know what needs to be done next. Not just stand there and wait to be told everything to do.
    Many guys my age and younger don't understand or care about a job well done. It's unfortunate too... Honesty and anything doing is worth doing right worth doing is worth doing right. The two most important things I've learned from my dad.

Lucky 13 Ft. Worth, Texas

5. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

How to ride a bike and motorbikes.
    How to drive a 3-on-the-tree.
    How to hunt and fish.
    How to box (this has come in handy over the years)
    To be respectful and say things like, "Yes, Sir" and "Yes, Maam."

Dad used to say to me, "Good things may come to those who wait, but only the crap that's left after those who hustled."

Taught me to never quit. Not for anything. He said, "Ask for help but never quit. Quitting is easy and nothing worth having is ever easy. Besides, you can't count on a quitter."

Dad said if you call in sick, you better so F'd up you can't walk. Dad ran a body shop for 35 years and only missed one day of work when he had pneumonia and Mom had to take him to the hospital. He once walked to work in 20 inches of snow. Nobody else showed up.

"There are two groups of people in this world son. Those that take credit for other's hard work and those who do all the hard work. You'll find the latter of the two has less competition."

I still have the paint guns he used to feed us all those years. Here's to you Dad. Thanks for all the sacrifices and all the lessons. Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there.

Andy from STL

6. mj40's

mj40's

I had a fuel drain-back problem on a Flathead I had back in the 60's. He taught me to blow on the gas filler to help getting fuel in the line. But what he failed to tell me is to first remove your dental bridge work before blowing. We had to fish his out with a coat hanger. :D

7. 48flyer

48flyer

8. bonesy

bonesy

It's what we do with our mistakes that matter.

(this works with building hot rods too)

9. Johnny99

Johnny99

My Dad passed in the early eighties, I was in my early twenties then so memories tend to fade a bit. Not much of a car guy, a little gruff at times but never heavy handed, always willing to teach. Here are a few of the things he taught me that are very useful.

* Treat others how you would like to be treated.
    * Not much tolerance or respect for folks who do not follow the above rule.
    * Change your oil AND filter every 2000 miles.
    * Get to work on time
    * Most homes are built on 16" and 24" centers, [I can find a stud!]
    * Enough about household electrics and plumbing to pull off most homeowner projects.
    * How to feed myself, you can't always count on someone to bring you a plate of food.

I am sure there are some more, the above has served me well for many years.

Have a happy Fathers Day all.

John

10. ranchomerced

ranchomerced

How to build this: www.w194.com

My dad was a high school art and industrial metal shop teacher so I learned almost every skill needed by the 5th grade..Thanks Dad!

11. More than there is room for on this forum.
    As one poster said way back in this thread, basically,
    "everything"

I miss you, Pa.

12. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

My dad has been gone for a while, now.
    There is not a day goes by that I do not use something that he taught me. from simple things like tying a fish line, organizing tool boxes, cleaning tools before to putting them away, how to mow the grass, to more complex things like changing engines, tuning them and how to care for machinery.
    The most valuable thing he taught me is that when things overwhelm you, step away, take a deep breath, and walk around the block or get a glass of tea and drink it.
    Then, everything fell into place. Sometimes you just have to get your mind cleared, and get a fresh start. Same thing when you are having a difficult time with some one you respect or love.
    The most difficult lesson in life to learn is Patience!

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

"You can never judge a truly successful man by the amount of money he has,..."

Dad was never a wealth man,... but still, one of the richest men I have ever known.

Dad passed away 20 years ago this year,... and words can't express how much I still miss him. Here he is in 1977 with one of my "lost causes, made good"

Attached Files:

• Dad2.jpg
      Dad2.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Everything I know today came from an example of my Dad. I can do anything and everything on my car because I knew my Dad had done it before, so I could do it now. I have a great work ethic today because me Dad has one now and always has. I have always spent time with my son whenever I can because I now know how important that will be later. I learned from Dad that if you aren't having fun at something, it's probably your own fault, smile for crissakes. Here's a shot my of my Dad (and Mom) and a shot he took of me and his car around '64.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And although it's not a HAMB-friendly car, here's a shot of me and my son taken about 8 years ago.

[​IMG]

15. How to grow up without him........

16. rallisracing

rallisracing

He let me have the privilege of sharing this great passion for hot rods with him. My dad's 82 years old, and I am still learning from him. .I dread the day when he stops teaching me...

Attached Files:

17. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

That making more than enough money was a good way to get toys without mom screaming. That anything with fuel in it was cool, regardless of what it was and that poking fun at stupid people was a God given right.

Miss you Dean Hull.

18. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

My dad taught me so many important things I don't know where to start. He was a living example to me and my brother. What a great guy. I sure miss him.

19. TxRat

TxRat

My Dad taught me everything...

He's probably the smartest man I know. He could hold conversations with some of the worlds thinkers if he had to.

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Probably the most important thing I learned from my father was; not to be an alcoholic.

21. my dad taught me how to be a dad....which includes a lot of life stuff and people stuff...but he also taught me how to love an inanimate object and to appreciate things gone by...like an old car. thank you to my dad. You left big shoes to fill...and I'm trying, with MY son.

22. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Lots, and still teaching...

-you don't need to slam a door on a Hudson
    -value what you own
    -anything that was decent to start with can be fixed, but junk is junk
    -family first

Next month we're going to get out his 27 Hudson super six and he'll teach me to drive a crash box :) I'm stoked actually. It never occurred to me to ask until today. I know I don't have forever, and wish I learned to appreciate him earlier.

My dad was bitter about how he was raised in some aspects, and it made him a better father to his kids. Reading some of these other posts has been sad, but enlightening as well.

Heres to all you dads :)

23. madhman

madhman

If you don't stop that you'll go blind.

24. Not a lot as far as this hobby. He basically told me I was stupid, a disgrace and the "blacksheep" of the family for getting dirt under my nails and working on what he called "junk". When I turned 20, my folks retired and moved to Florida. I stayed in Ohio and married a real fine gal. Our relationship,parents and me, is good at 1200 miles away...he don't bother me and although my wife of 29 years is not into cars, she supports my interests and never harps on me to get rid of stuff (although she should). When starting out working on cars (self taught) and showing some skill, dad would never let me touch or work on his stuff. Said he did not trust me or my work.

25. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

My Dad taught me to drink a pint of Milk before I went out and got on the piss!

26. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

My Dad taught me everything... used to say if you know how to do anything dont tell anyone :)

27. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

My dad is 87 years old and I still get lessons as often as I can . You can't put a price on the education I gotten from him .

28. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

my dad taught me how to be a good father,to treat women with respect,how to work to get what i wanted ,the difference between a 32 ford and a 31 ford,that i could do anything if i put my heart into it and to never give up ,ever.i love my dad and im glad we got to spend fathers day together doin what we both love,bein around hotrods and good people.happy fathers day dad!!

29. Ricky B

Ricky B

One thing my Dad taught me is to commit random acts of coolness & to trust The Man upstairs. He is still kickin' at 74 & lives in the Lake of the Ozarks area in Missouri.

30. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

My Dad once told me right before I got married. this young lady is another mans daughter so you better man up take care of her keep a roof over her head love her till the day I die and I better never ask to move in with him or my In Laws. I am happy to say I love my wife with all my heart and we are still married going on 21yrs. Oh yea he also taught me about cars and how to kick ass