Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Thank you, my friend!

2. Toner283

Toner283

Do you have any extra's of these Jay? These are one of the parts I have yet to track down for my Elky.

3. So I came outside this morning, only to be mugged! Gato the kat, needed some attention. Gato, short for Gotta Go..

[​IMG]

So the parcel tray is 'ret-to-go'..

[​IMG]

Metal prepped and ready. Then after a little everglass and some more SsshhHH- SsshhHH.. it's a done deal for real!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chevy59409

chevy59409

looking good going to take alot of work but will be worth it in the long run.
    mine was in about the same shape plus the frame had holes rusted in it too
    but came out ok.keep with it
    Richard

5. I like your avatar! I finally got to look at a stock 59 Impalas, body lines in the rear qtrs. There's always more to do, always!

6. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

This is a great thread , keep up that good work.

7. I do thank you, for the nice words. I am going over everything I still have to do, in my head right now..

The rockers need more attention, an like I mentioned to 51 Mercules I feel like I'm chasing my tail. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, cos nobody else does. It's just that I am aware that they need work. If I let it go, that would be a problem. Attention to detail is blessing and a curse, all at the same time. I've learned a lot, that's for sure!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Man I hat stripping those cowl panel vents by hand!!! Beating dents out of em is even more fun!! Good stuff man, its gettin all that tedious shit done that kills most projects and your dedication is motivating!

9. flat top austin

flat top austin

Hey man its really cool to see you doing all this work to a 59 elky! Im only 17 but ive been around 59-60 gm cars my hole life my dads had about 60 59 elcaminos he has a 59 elcamino right now and 2 59 kingswood 9 passenger wagons i have a 60 impala 4dr hard top and 59 pontiac bonnieville 4dr hardtop. keep up the good work! cant wait to see it done

10. I had to take the wknd off.. I'll be at it again, though! I hope to motivate, cos it doesn't get done unless you do it!

He's owned sixty 59's Elcos? I guess it would take that many to find one that isn't rotted. You guys have any 59 Elco parts?!

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

He's had sixty '59 El Caminos? Impressive......Any pics?

12. I am going to relocate the battery, behind the psngr rr wheel well. I need to think of something relatively accessible. I don't want to dread maintaining the battery.

Running out of room to hide things, too. I've started collecting(bargain hunting) 'air-bag' parts, an I need to find room for the 5 gallon air tank. I don't want to put anything in the 'smugglers box', under the one pc bedfloor. Once on the road, I wouldn't have easy access to it, if something did need attention. I am going to go with a digital controller, (effortless to hide) cos the manual paddles and gauges absolutely ruin the overall look of the interior. This will be my first vehicle, to have a glove box. So putting it all in there, is not an option.

Going to use a 460 compressor
    4way valve body
    Accuair controller
    Slam Specialties Bags 2500 frt
    Do I need 2600's, for the rear? I am not aware of the differences, between the two.

Tomorrow I am going to a local shop, to see what all they have to offer.

13. I'm not sure if this would affect the integrity of the cab, but could you put an access door into the "smugglers box" from the interior to allow access to the air ride setup components????

14. I would have to make an air tank, to fit the low profile shape of the space back there. So I'm not too sure I wanna go that route. Plus the farther away I can keep the compressor, the happier I wiould be. One thing after another!

15. yeah, I understand what you are saying. I have a '57 Ranchero with that smugglers box and I've wondered how to use that "wasted" space.

I agree with you on putting the compressors far away. Use lots of sound damping material. haha

16. I need to check the height, to see if I can fit the battery, in the 'smuggler'. So far the heat, isn't agreeing with my Dad, today.

17. I'm using the motor & 4spd(yes, 4spd!) out of this little POS. I need a Elmir/Bonneville cruiser!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To build a smaller, 24" rim version. Orig were 26".. of this!

[​IMG]

Something like this (but I can't remember where I got these pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. hemifarris

hemifarris

Jay, "povertyflats" here on HAMB builds board track bikes with motors. I was going to buy one from him last year when a buddy offered me his Simplex. My Simplex buddy couldn't find 1/2 of the parts after 30 years so I didn't buy it. I ended up buying the fuel injection for my El Camino. I'm not certain if povertyflats still builds them but his were neat and he's a good guy.........Mike

19. hemifarris

hemifarris

P.S..........You'd look good on the first bike you bought. You just need some west coast pegs to straighten your legs out......:D

20. Thanks, that made me laugh! Damn, I'm still laughing!

21. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I hate those electric compressors! It seems no matter where you put em they are noisy and the vibration just resonates that annoing hummmmmmmm! But it is what it is, I've used em in every bag job Ive ever done just cause they work, and work well if you can eliminate all the leaks. One of my bosses had an o/t duelly that used the old 60's style a/c compressors as the air pump. That was cool and worked really well, quietly. But he had a lot of engine compartment room.

I'm running bags on the back of my uni, but just as helper bags for when I need to haul stuff. Its hard to load it down with old springs, minus a few, and an 8 inch drop. I've got 2600's. If I were just running bags Id go to 28's only for more capacity. But Im want my truck to tow if I need to. If your never towing anything 26's will be fine and still let you load the bed down if you need to.
    Ive got lots of friends big into the bags, one who ownes a shop only doing bags. If you have any questions pm me. If I cant give you an answer he can. And sorry bout the winded reply,there's lots of info on bag systems and its hard to shorten up!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  22. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

like the mini easy rider by the way! hahaha

23. niceguyede, thanks for the info on the Air Bags. I am going to look into whether or not, I need to use a higher pressure shut off switch, with the 2600s. I think the bigger the bag, it does more with less pressure. IDK!!

Got my brackets today.. I am making patterns off these, never will I buy these again!

[​IMG]

Then I had to rob Peter, to pay Paul.. but they're both brothers, from the same fuckin' family.. so it doesn't really matter! The stock press in rocker studs, held me up from wanting to continue, on my 55. Plus the splines on the clutch pedal are giving me troubles.(so I bought a hydraulic system I've never been exposed to.. so the TKO600 and clutch parts sit, waiting!) The T10 4spd in it, is definiitely coming out!! I need OD. Well, ANYWAYS..

My camel hump 461's 1.94/1.6, the pair was mfg April 29 1965.. perfect for my STD 1964 327!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

squirted a little marvel mystery oil on the piston, this thing has sat a while. B(

[​IMG]

I've owned my dream car since I was 17yrs old.. It used to be a gasser w/ cut qtrs, that ran at the Colton drags. I HATE GASSERS WITH A FUCKIN PASSION! Blairs speed shop 55 is the only one I like to look at.(or tolerate) The qtrs weren't cut, that's prolly why!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Halibrands, are going to end up on my 55. One thing leads to another, with me. ADD is a bitch! I need to buy heads for this thing now.. Aluminum for sure, cracks are easily welded compared to cast iron. Even tho' I could squeeze a little more out of some hi-perf, cast iron pcs.

24. It's O/T here.. so all the updates will be in my profile pics, under its own folder! I'm stoked, to be building it.. should be fun!

25. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

you can fit two 5 gal. tanks and 2 compressors under the bed toward the back..i'll post a pic of my set-up later...

26. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

The pressure switch is just for tank pressure. The solenoids control bag pressure, so the switch you have will be fine. In my experience every car has a "good ride" pressure that you will just have to play with the switches and drive to find. No two cars are ever the same, even on the same model car! Its all driver prefference. I always just try to set the bags up to be at manufacturer suggested expansioin level, then mount the brackets at that level at ride height. If that makes any sence!?! As far as brackets go, most of the ones sold are usually crap, so I make my own most of the time.

Sucks about the heads. Ive got some 461 double humpers Im about to send out and hopefully theyre good. They were a gift from the boss so if they arent im only out the cost of havin em checked. If theyre not Im just gonna have to run the ugly center bolts until I can scrape up some cash.

27. I would appreciate that, thanks!

28. Thanks for the info.. I will make it a point to meet up at ElMir if I see the 62 Uni! Actually, I already have some new AFR heads 2.05/1.6; So it looks like I'm going that route, for right now! Win-win.. The 55 gets what it needs & my 59 gets what I want.. Oh-yeah!

29. Note to self, 'Don't grow old.. It hurts! Amazing how much pain follows that little 'twinge' you get, when you fuck up your back (again)! Not even BBC heads, the SB Chevs, took me out. With soo much to do, there's no time for this. Putting everything away before I could go lay down, made it soo much worse..

[​IMG]

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That sucks, I know the pain all to well.
    Sex with Fat chicks is my problem :eek::D.
    With that said give a quote, we mite be on the same page.