Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

NO PIX ON THIS POST-PROBLEMS UPLOADING!
    THANX TO COLESY FOR THE ID ON 59 CHEVY FROM PACIFIC COAST.
    HI TO BOB PAGANO,CHUCK NORTON AND BUTCH S.ALWAYS GREAT TO SEE YOU ON THE WWW.
    SPOKE TO JOHN HOFFMAN LAST WEEK- HE FOUND ONE OF HIS SS/FA CARS-HE SOUNDS GOOD.HOPE TO HOOK UP WITH HIM SOON.
    WENT TO NUMIDIA LAST FRIDAY NIGHT-SHADES OF NEW YORK NATIONAL ON A FRIDAY NIGHT(W/O CORVETTE)!NO PRESSURE,GOOD RACING,ECT.WILL GET CORVETTE OUT NEXT WEEK-GOT TO PUT THE BELTS AND SEAT BACK IN:eek:AND FINISH DETATCH STEERING HUB:rolleyes:
    WILL POST PIX OF 273 CUDAS AND AN EARLY 442 CAR FROM RACING RESEARCH ASAP.
    TAKE TEXAS RD OFF OF 18....CUPS OR BUCKS!:cool:

2. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Maplegrove about 9 years ago with jerry-and jim morgan-maybe the dutch,cant remember.jerry chopping down the hanuka bush!-lol. It was the best;)

Attached Files:

3. rlpagan

rlpagan

Hay Lew, Yep that was the Dutch, last one I went to before moving. I talked to one of Johns sons a while back but John was out, they have a shop somewhere around Jimmy Carter. Get that Vette out ! You only live once.....your wasting time. Its one sweet ride.

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Doug Patterson's, 1965 Barracuda 273/235 HP,,,in F/SA.

Won F/SA class at the 1965 NHRA Springnationals at Bristol.
    And was Runner-Up in Stock Eliminator.

Another 1965 Barracuda.
    The Golden Commando's (Hamilton Motors, Detroit).
    'GOLDFISH'
    Won F/S Class at the 1965 NHRA Indy Nationals.
    Set AHRA F/S class record in 1965 with a 13.47 @ 103.68.

Supposedly had acid-dipped fenders, doors and thinner side glass,
    among other lightened components.
    Those Golden Commando's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tricky engineers.

pc

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. rlpagan

rlpagan

Nope, Not a before and after, this is after then it disappeared. The 63 he has now was another car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. John Mackey

John Mackey

Bob, this is the car Jerry bought new, Right... I'm surprised he ever got rid of it.......

7. agtw31

agtw31

here's some pics from Jack Fuche

[​IMG]

1962 summernationals running a 406 Galaxie

he won,but got disqualified because valve shims were .030 too thick

[​IMG]

8. rlpagan

rlpagan

Hay John how you doing ? Yes he bought the black car new, I had them both at my house in 73 while driving them as he was going through his first divorce at the time. Sometime in 74 he sold the 63 to Wes Coleman, sometime in 75 Wes sold it to Ben Lawson and he also sold it and it has not been seen since. Only god knows what became of it. I could not trace it down and Ben had no idea who he sold it to either. Talked to Jerry a couple of months back, says he is well and raising grand kids ! Better him than me !

9. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

In 1969 I was assigned to Ft. Riley, KS. The first car in the company parking lot that caught my eye was a 1963 1/2 Galaxy sporting 427 emblems. When I located the owner he told me that he was from Indiana and the car had been driven by Bob Glidden to an A/S class win at Bristol. If this is the same car, perhaps it was another year that he won.

The car had a 390 in it in 1969 and I helped rebuild the engine with a Speed-O-Motive engine kit. We took a trip to Kansas City one Saturday to visit Dick Harrell's shop and on the way back we stopped at Don's Speed Shop. I wrote a check to buy my friend a medium riser intake and carbs for $75. Wonder what they are worth today?

The photo was taken at Manhattan, KS in the summer of '69.

Attached Files:

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This is the same pic that someone sent to my brother Steve Dillman and said it was his old car. We live in the same county as Bob Glidden and he and Steve did alot of street racing in the early 60's. I wonder what gives here?

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Images courtesy of Ralph LaPlant)

Pete

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a Stocker but still cool...
    [​IMG]

Pete

14. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

My Army friend is named John Mattox and I still have occasional contact with him. I'll ask him about the history.

As for the photo, it is one that I took myself and have posted previously so whoever sent it to your brother downloaded it from somewhere. Since I started posting photos I have seen them in articles, blogs and videos so there is no telling where he got it.

15. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Hi Keith I also have a 57 Chevy Jrs Stocker with Stahl fenderwell headers that Jere made for me back in the late 80's or early 90's. I purchased my car in 1978 and the car already had the openings in the inner fenders for fenderwell headers. The car turned out to be Doc's Delivery. My Stahl headers fit perfectly in the openings as Doc was also running Stahls back in the 60's If you need a templet of my openings, I would be more than happy to supply.
    I also need some help with my 56 Sedan Delivery that I am building. I could use a templet for the fenderwell openings for this car. I am installing a set of 1-1/2" dia tube early Stahl fenderwell headers. It will be a single 4 barrell WCFB car. Low Jrs Stock class. I am also going to install the original type Hydro that I have all the parts for. Does anyone out there know how they mounted the GM truck bell housing to the car frame???? The bolt pattern on the truck bell housing does not match up to the 55-57 car stick shift mounts. Did the guys running the Hydro make their own mounts????? If so does anyone out there have info on mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting older and it is harder and harder to keep my projects going. Thanks very much Larry 973-592-6784 001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

In 1965 a friend and I bought a 427/425 out of a lightweight 63 1/2 complete with the RC bellhousing and the aluminum T-10 4 speed for $500 cash with a bill of sale. I ran it in my 57 and after getting out of the service we put it in his new 67 F100, never could blow it up. I did clean the input shaft off on the 4 speed once. Not a bad buy though for the day. He had the car title, the insurance co totaled it after he wrecked it so it wasnt stolen

17. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

P426,
    Just when there is a little bit of a lull in this thread......
    you come thru with some awesome picture's! ..... again.

Eddie

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Most guys just redrilled the stock trans mount for the single bolt hole truck bell housing on the Hydro, and ground down the pointed locating nub on the bellhousing. BUT, this places stress on the stock frame horns that the trans mounts bolt to; I've seen them torn away from the frame, and the frame repaired. One company (name unknown) made the adapter mounts, a 3 inch long plate with 4 holes in it designed to adapt the stock mounts to the truck bell housing. I had bought Kyle Marshalls' 57 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery, Hustlin' Hoosier, but then sold it to buy yet ANOTHER 56 Sedan Delivery; I sold it to Tim "Junior Stock" Pogue here on the HAMB, and he has the plates now. Maybe he could make you a template from the plates he now has. You will also have to fab up an access panel to adjust the Hydros bands, and to check the fluid level (IF you keep the actual truck hydro; some cars had dipsticks that went into the lower pan). This has also been a long standing dream of mine, to have a 56 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery "PSEUDO"-Junior Stocker, and I had many parts from years of collecting ( 5 Hydros, shifters, fenderwell and chassis outlet headers, intakes/carbs, etc). Now I've decided to make the cars "look the part", update the power train, make the engine look original, and use a more modern trans. I personally don't like to cut these cars up, even for fenderwell headers and floor shifters. AND, it's nice to see the NHRA has decided to allow the tri-fives back into stock; now if they'ld just do something about the 1000 ft fueler/funny car track length. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

JJ,

Bud 'Hemi Honker' Faubel
    Ran a 1963 Dodge 426 Max-Wedge in S/SA also.
    The 63' car has the big bug eye headlights.
    Parking lights are inside the grille, and off-set 45* down.
    The tail-lights are one piece thin horizontal.
    A single full-length body side molding (high on the fenders and doors) are on the car.

The 63' cars were lighter than the 64' cars.

63' engines
    426/415 HP (11.0 - 1 compression)
    426/425 HP (13.5 - 1 compression)

Liteweight components;
    * Aluminum fenders
    * Aluminum hood with air scoop
    * Lightweight front bumper and supports
    * Front bumper dust shield (below bumper splash pan)

Car weight;
    Model #330 (aluminum lightweight) #3233 lbs.
    Model #330 (steel body) #3357 lbs.

Note; Weight difference between aluminum and steel was 124 lbs.
    Note; Worth about 2/10's (.20) lower elapsed time (E.T.) in the 1/4 mile.

The Model #440's were also available with the same package. Not much of
    a weight difference. Only about 20 lbs. heavier.

Once the 1964 426 Hemis came out, the Max-Wedge cars then ran in AA/SA.
    Weight/bracket; 7.00 - 8.69 wt/hp.

pc

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  20. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I think the stock 1/2 ton truck hydro mount fit perfectly. I believe that is what i used on my 57 SD. Dont remember haveing to modify anythig to make it work??

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's what most guys did, and it does work, even though the "angles" are slightly off. That slight difference in the angle AND the additional weight of the Hydro puts stress on the stock trans mount frame horns. They're not completely welded in, just in several spots, and can tear out/off. In trucks they were mounted in a "saddle". Same sort of thing with the rear end spring perches, only 3 spot welds for each side of the pad. Ever seen a tri-five "spin" the rear end in the U-bolts? It's a pretty destructive situation when it takes the gas tank out in a Sedan Delivery or Wagon (except the 9 passenger models-different tank arrangement), so most guys fully welded the perches. Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

<IFRAME height=338 src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/20017992?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" frameBorder=0 width=600></IFRAME>

Be sure to click on the full-screen button--------------------------------^

Pete

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  23. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks, Eddie. I post 'em as I find 'em.

Regards,

Pete

24. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

^^^Thats one of the best clips I've seen. Not a Ford guy but man what a cool car must be very rare with dual quads and all. Editing was great too, just like going over to the neighbors house after you bug him forever to get that old Ford out the garage and take ya for a ride. Thanks for posting that up

25. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Good info i can "readjust" mine while the frame is out from underneath it.if it hasn't been already.

:cool:

26. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Funny the poop eating grin that fellow had on him driving that thing! Pure enjoyment.reminded me of digging rose out of my parents garage,only it was stuffed full AND covered with about 10 times the material that guy had on his!

great lil vid thanks!

:cool:

27. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Just sitting here thinking and I remember 1965 visiting my older brother at Boot camp at Fort Dix in South central New Jersey on a Sunday and see drag racing going on at McGuire Air Force Base which is right next to Fort Dix. I was a kid of 14 and thought it was the koolest thing I ever saw. I remember alot of stock bodied cars so I would think there were Jr Stockers or stockers racing there. I think it was call Strato drags. Anybody out there remember these drags and have any pictures or memories they can share. Thanks so much Larry

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Colesy & tommyd,

This afternoon I received a reply from John and this is what he had to say about the Galaxie

" I purchased my 63' from a fella named "Scott Dillman". Scott was 1 year younger than me and grew up in Greenwood Indiana. The next town south of us was Whiteland Indiana. I went to school there from 1st thru 4th grades. Bob Glidden went to school there and was in the 6th grade when I was in the 4th. I knew him pretty well as a young adult (16, 17, & 18 years of age). I used to street race with him too. I had a 62' 406/405 and so did Bob. Honestly, I actually beat him and have witnesses to prove it. I sold my 62' shortly before I went in the Army. I came back to Greenwood the summer of 68' and purchased the 63' from Scott. He had gotten it from his brother (Steve Dillman). I don't know if Bob ever drove my old car when Steve owned it but we were all pretty close."

29. John Mackey

John Mackey

That 57 is the old Jr Stocker of Carl Bennett, last time I talked to Ray about 10 years ago he still had it as a street car...

30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort