Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Found an old Gasser 47 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.F., Jun 10, 2011.

1. S.F.

S.F.

Well, been trying to get my hands on this thing for a few years. Its a 47 Ford coupe with a 55 nash ambassador grill in it. From the information I have gathered it was raced in the early to mid 60's in Gas Class, wheel wells radiused and a push bar is still on it. It was put on the street in the mid 70's. Then sometime in the early 80's it had a small dash fire. Been sitting ever since. It has had alot of engine swaps but currently sitting between the fenders is a 1966 mustang 289 that is locked up with an automatic. Thought you guys might enjoy some pictures of it. Anyone ever seen this thing before???? Is my history correct?????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. S.F.

S.F.

Im not going to change the grill, or the paint. Please try and keep from making this a drama thread over if you like the grill, thank you.

3. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Really cool find, sorry about your grille.

4. S.F.

S.F.

thanks, dont be sorry about it, I kind of like the grill.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice little Coupe, but the grille looks like it's mad at you.
    (or it ate something that tasted like Chevy!)
    Sorry...

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The engine that is going back in it is the question that's on my mind. Nice score dude.

Nobody would give two shits whether they liked the grille or not if there was a blown Olds and some american 5 spokes on there hint hint. :D

7. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Cant really go wrong with an old gasser!!

8. S.F.

S.F.

:D you read my mind dude.....Im seriously thinken a algon injected olds with a lasalle top loader with 12 spoke spindle mounts

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well then I have nothing more to say. I will just sit back and drooooool.

What about a side shift LaSalle. JeremyJames (Iron Lord) just picked up this bitchin KING SHIFT adapter for the 38 and up LaSalles and that thing would be so rad in this car!!! I think he's got the lead on the original owner or something and might have some more. I heard somewhere that sideshift trannys shift faster too...any truth to that? Dude....I am really stoked just thinking about all this!!!

10. S.F.

S.F.

I have no problem with a side shift either, I here they are just as good. The cogs are alot bigger than the Ford top loaders. Not sure if they shift faster though. Im thinken a Isky cam, magneto, dimpled valve covers, and injection....with some fenderwell headers....it has to be loud and sound pissed. With the front raked up alot higher.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well that goes without saying....:D

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How about a Hydro, it would be period correct for the sixtys.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any find is great, especially one with some history. one thing about putting a heavy engine in it is that they steer like a truck and drum brakes. running a small block Ford/Chevy with dual quads, fender well headers, four speed would get the point across that it is not to be messed with. any more pics to post? have fun

14. S.F.

S.F.

Marty, a built hydro stick would be rad, but Ive always had a Lasalle fetish that needs fullfilled.

Jalopy, dont care how it rides hahaha, as long as its fast and terrifying. (and deeply period correct)

15. Hmm....I have an Algon for a 394" that just might be available if you're interested. Good score!

16. S.F.

S.F.

Oh and most importantly, there WILL be no hood.

17. S.F.

S.F.

Thanks, unfortunatly Ill have to pass on buying a mill for her right now. need to save my pennys for a couple years before I start building this one. Its going to be REAL expensive for the parts I want to put on it.

18. Understood. I'm running a 371" and can't use this unit so it will just sit on the shelf unless I find a buyer for it.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice find!!
    Good for you..
    Cheers.......

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If anyone ever saw it they would definitely never forget it,unless they saw it from the back maybe:rolleyes:.....................What?:eek: What did I say? :eek:
    Its definitely got character;)

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I like it, and I've always had a "thing" for those '55 Ambassador grilles w/hdlights. I know that you know that you're headed in the right direction on your plans for this car. Keep us posted as you make progress

dj

22. Dave K

Dave K

Cool

Love the grill!!!

23. jroberts

jroberts

I too like the grill. So different that it is really cool. Your plans sound great. Great find. Congratulations!

24. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

That's pretty mean looking. The grill makes it look almost British.

25. trifiveshawn

trifiveshawn
    from Ohio

Cool man... thats the one that was setting in the lot in kettering isnt it? :D lol We got a 55 buick from them for the nailhead. Had some cool stuff 49/50 ford drop tops.. lots of cool stuff. I like the grille too. Congrats:)

26. S.F.

S.F.

It was sitting in that lot, but they lost the lot. Then the car disapeared for a couple of months, thought I'd never see it again. They stonewalled me for years on trying to buy it. But I just happened to randomly stumble across it way out in the middle of no where last saturday, under new ownership...the guy luckily sold it too me.

27. trifiveshawn

trifiveshawn
    from Ohio

Awsome man. They were kinda hard to deal with one some stuff, which i guess we all kinda are lol. Im glad you got it after all this time:)

28. S.F.

S.F.

Thanks, yeah they are known for being like that...I try not to deal with them anymore. But Im glad I got it too, its going to spend some needed storage INside.

29. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Well when you put a HOT Mill in it it will all make sense:)

Ugly cars make bad ass race cars.

And it could use some HURST tires as well.

Nice score!

HOTRODRUBBER

30. S.F.

S.F.

probably a full set