Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Chevy qns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Done a search but curious as to:

Will a 292 fit nicely into a 47 Chevy engine bay or are mods reqd to firewall, they look pretty close to the same in length ?

What would a 292 (+overbore, mild street cam, 9:1 CR. cleaned up head, O/S valves etc)
    make in HP/TQ?

Will a Clifford 2x2 with Stromberg WWs work well?...I assume they would do fine.
    I believe a TH350 will bolt up nicely; what starter, flywheels are used in the swap?

Any tips?

Curiosity is geetin the better of me!

Rat

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

About the bellhousing and flywheel
    question - The bellhousing pattern on
    the 292 is the same as the smaller
    194-230-250 six and small and big block
    Chevy V8s too. Ditto for the flywheels .
    You can use any 194-230-250 flywheel or
    flexplate and any standard 'two-piece rear
    main seal' small or big block flywheel or
    flexplate - (except the the *externally
    balanced* 400 and 454 flywheels) on the
    292. A Chevy 6 or V8 TH350 tranny
    is straight bolt on and even came on
    some some 292's.

Mart3406
    ========================

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

They are a little longer than the old 6 cylinder but whatever surgery you have to do to make the swap will be rewarded with more torque than you thought possible from a 6 cyl.

Frank

4. Thanx guys, Im liking what Im hearing.

Keep em coming fellas.....

Rat

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Frank. some changes are required.

A mate has/had one for sale out here some time ago.

I guess we should talk ..... tomorrow

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I put one in mine, but I also had a Camaro sub in it. The 292 is taller that the other sixes of the era (250's, not the earlier 216&235's), so combined with the slightly higher subframe, I had some firewall issues. I cut out the top of the depression in the firewall, and raised it up 2-3 in. to be sure the engine cleared, and i could remove the valve cover. Don't know if you will need to do that, but mock up the engine first, to see if it's necessary.
    I think the Strombergs will work well, I used a CLifford 2 x 4 intake, with adapters down to 2 bbls, with Holley Webers on it. They function on a single barrel, until you open it up, then the secondary kicks in. The only thing I am not crazy aobut the WW's is that the accelerator pump is not a positive action. They work by releasing the arm with the linkage, and letting a spring actually pull the rod down and work the pump. I had a bit of trouble with them on my Dodge that had one as factory equip.
    I have LPG pistons in mine, as well as a Stovebolt Eng. dual exhaust manifold. I was guess-timating mine to be 275 HP, but with a LOT of torque. Should runn well on the street (3.73 gears, adn T5 stick help in gearing)
    Good luck with yours, keep us updated!

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Concerning flywheels---I've had a few 292s, and all of them used larger bolts than the 230/250 engines.....I believe 1/2 inch thread, vs. 7/16 for the smaller sixes, so plan on some drilling out of holes.

8. I am assuming this is a '47 car. I put a 292 in my '41 truck no mods to the firewall at all just different motor mounts.

The turbo 350 is a bolt on as has been stated.

The engines are spunky I ran a single 4 on the one in my truck and headers. But I doubt that you will squeeze 1 HP per inch out of it. They do make good torque, GM even called them a High Torque 292 at one point. If I needed to keep an in-line in my Chebby that would be my engine of choice.

9. Yah thanx all...SB we'll chat !

Chopolds, from the research Ive done, gettin 220cfm from the head is easy, coupled with the bolt in tongues/lumps in the intake ports, 1.94 intake valves a even a nice mild juice cam these engines work well compared the the older Stovebolts. Never had nay issues with WWs even on blown engines !!

250HP /300TQ is stock. The increase in CR, proper head mods and better cam should make close to 300HP or am I nuts?

This is even with mild pump gas friendly specs with a real mild [email protected] cam. This allows a stock covertor too.

What do ya'all think?

Rat

10. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Rat, about a year and a half ago, a group of us Inliners did a very thorough dyno test session with a 292. After testing many different head, cam, intake/carb and exhaust mods(all off the shelf, readily available items) 300HP was achieved as was 330 FT.lbs. of torque. A total of 120 dyno pulls were made on our test mule, and the torque was always over 300 Ft.lbs, even with the bone stock baseline combo. 300 HP is very easily done with a 292, all tests were also done with pump gas compression also. We also debunked several "urban legends" that have long been associated with these engines, and proved and disproved several myths as well regarding them. Your going to hurt a lot of V8 guys feelings down under. Have fun....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I keep on reading about these test that u guys did but haven't herd what parts actually achieved the most hp or I'm I missing something .

12. CNC yah I stumbled on those test results on the net.

Im pretty conversant will all the mods undertaken on the head. But Im not sure as to which cam (and install setup) was run, the actual CR (9.5:1?) and what intake/carbs/jetting/timing the engine liked to achieve that.

This would be in a 47 car with a T350 and 3.5:1 gears.

Or shuld I just stab in a nice 4x2 carbed, early 283 dressed appropriately lol?

C'mon talk me out of it !!

Rat

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

You know my answer - keep 'em inline ;)

14. amoryhiel

amoryhiel
    from brisbane

Yeah I think, goodluck with that. :)

15. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In addition to drilling the flexplate you also remove 2 of the locating studs in the flange on the crank . Keep in mind the offset motor mounts as well . Ive got a clifford dual weber carb intake and 2 piece headers , and big cam in mine . Should be running soon , let you know how it goes .

16. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CNC Dude, I had a half- hearted look around the Inliners sight and couldn't find this. Could you please post a link? I'm a former Inliners member (lapsed, gotta re- up), am building a '40 Chev coupe with a 292, have Leo Santucci's book, would really like to read about this test. Thanks.

17. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Halfdozen, many of the critical data and combos weren't publically broadcast. It was a collective effort involving 75 or so of the Inliner members who helped with parts and or donations to help this testing come to completion. You can see bits and pieces of it on Inliners in two seperate areas, 1) Do a search for 292 Dyno, and then 2)also do a search for 250 Dyno. We also did a thorough 250 dyno flogging about 6 months after the 292 tests. You can also email Tom Lowe at www.12bolt.com for more detailed specs if you choose to. Hope that helps, but with a little over 120 dyno pulls on the 292 by itself, its just a lot of data to sort thru and I think Tom can better field many of your questions. Thanks