Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Miller migs cheap at Graingers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by painkiller, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

10 % off at Graingers is sort of like a date with your sister.:rolleyes:

2. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I ordered last night and this morning talked to a lady at Grainger. "Gee, I don't see your order........."

3. snelson57

snelson57

Just got the call from Grainger...

We will not be honoring your order. No further information other than there is a stop sale on those two welders.

They offered to do nothing - not even a 10% discount.

She asked what she could do - I said get me a comparable welder for that price. I placed the order and paid via my card, I would expect grainger to honor that.

Oh well...

4. smmvpi

smmvpi

snelson57....same with me. I placed an order, got a confirmation #, called to confirm and they told me they couldn't honor it because my state (SC) would not allow it. That sounds fishy to me. What's up?

5. I got to the thread late enough to see that it was most likely an error on the site! Damn!

I will be getting a welder soon... I swear I was twitching to buy the 180!

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

They obviously screwed up.

That price was probably below cost.

Oh, well.

Rich

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Was surprised to see a "good deal" coming from Grainger's, have dealt with them for years, but never to get a buy on anything. Just paid like $900 for a small Miller mig and would have hated it to see 'em going for half price, but when things are too good to be true, they usually are.

8. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I ordered one too, look at what they are saying. I asked for proof of this "so called" restriction.

Yesterday, you ordered one of #1tkc5 MIG welder to be picked up at our Madison branch. Unfortunately, the state has restricted the sale of these in the state of WI. Due to the restriction, we are unable to sell this welder WI. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best Regards,

W.W. Grainger

9. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there will be a Miller TIG sale?

Bruce/CT

10. Berky

Berky

Did you bother reading this thread?:rolleyes:

11. There will be. Right along with the free beer TOMORROW :D

12. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Well that sucks.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll be surprised if anyone anywhere in the US gets one of these welders. What a bunch of BS.

They should be held accountable to sell at least a few at that price.

I was told my order was cancelled because they could not sell to Canada. There is Acklands -Grainger here in Canada and I got an e-mail offering to sell me the same 180 amp -220 volt welder for $1050.00 Canadian.

I told them to go get stuffed, that the whole thing is BS.

I can buy all sorts of things in the US and have them shipped up. Do it all the time.

Not this time :mad:

If anyone actually gets a machine at that price post it here. Doubt that will happen.

14. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I'll be sending this to Grainger and if nothing happens I'll be asking the "Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection" to do some work for those taxes I pay:

Wisconsin Consumer Protection Laws

Advertising & Sales Claims

Bait and Switch

Wisconsin Statutes section 100.18 prohibits deceptive advertising and sales practices,
    including “bait and switch” practices. In a typical “bait and switch” scheme, a seller
    offers an attractive bargain on an advertised item. But when the customer responds to the
    advertisement, the seller disparages the advertised item or states that it has “sold out.”
    The seller then attempts to sell a substitute item at a higher price.

Wisconsin Statutes section 100.18(9) prohibits “bait and switch” schemes in which a
    seller advertises an item as part of a plan or scheme to sell something different (not the
    advertised item). A seller who runs out of an advertised item is not necessary guilty of
    “bait and switch” unless the seller is using the advertisement as part of a plan or scheme
    to sell something other than the advertised item. Low sales of advertised items compared
    to substitute items may suggest, but do not necessarily prove, that the seller is engaged in
    “bait and switch” tactics. For more information, see Fraudulent Representations.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

It was clearly a pricing screw up, pretty much saw that right away. But happens. However, they should just come out and say it.

Seems low class to be coming up with this can't sell in your state BS. Never heard of any shit like that for stuff like welders, wine maybe, but not welders. That is total BS and probably illegal in some way or another.

16. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I ordered the smaller guy within the first two hours so far they have taken my money and I have an order conformation paper but thats it have yet to get a return or another email??? Hesitant to call because I have a good Idea what they are going to tell me. If I to do not get the welder I will be contacting my local government to see about "bait switch" laws here if they wont take one for their mistakes I'll give it to them one way or another.

Edited Note I found this for any other Californian http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=17001-18000&file=17500-17509

17. They deleted my order without any contact. It never happened. Ha ha ha

Too damn bad. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

18. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Grainger, what's really funny about erasing the history of my order is this: the order is no longer listed on the history page, but if I choose to download my order history as a txt or xml file - there it is! I guess you need a better web monkey.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

20. SecretAgent

SecretAgent

geez guys, really? this isn't even close to a "bait and switch" scheme. they aren't attempting to sell you anything in exchange. it was a simple automated pricing error. they have no obligation to honor it. if you read the terms and conditions of ANY online retailer you will see clauses in all of them that get them out of having to honor any pricing errors online.

they made a mistake, you tried to pounce on a price that was too good to be true, they fixed it, reversed your order, refunded your money, and then you're gonna sick some legal dogs on them to give you the welder anyways?? wow. seeing as you own an online business, what if you had pricing for an item listed at less than half retail and the web found out about it, flooding you with 100's if not 1000's of orders for a product you will lose hundreds of dollars on for every one you sell. would you honor those orders? or would you apologize, and cancel the orders?

21. snelson57

snelson57

I agree with you up to the point that they are making up stories about "state X" restricting the sale of this product in the state. Of all places, Miller welders are built in WI.

If you cant fess up with a consistent story, than you deserve to be held accountable.

22. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I have honored pricing errors, as do many, many retailers. I know for a fact Home Depot will honor any miss-priced item. (At least around here). The real scumy thing is that they tried to lie and make up a law instead of just saying "we're sorry that price was a typo and we can't honor it".

23. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I don't understand why there's so many different excuses for them screwing up and listing the welder at the wrong price. Just tell the truth, say you're sorry, and cancel the order. Then deal with irate customers on an individual basis. Sheesh.

24. the-rodster

the-rodster

Exactly!

Rich

25. AllenK

AllenK

Atwoods has pretty decent prices on Hobart welders from time to time if you have one near you. My Dad picked up one from there a few years ago.

www.atwoods.com

26. Tugmaster said "Handjob"

27. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

If it was illegal to lie, every politician would be in jail right now. :)

28. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

just checking to see if anybody lucked out yet

29. rgaller

rgaller

Wow, you must be new to buying online....