Register now to get rid of these ads!

single exhaust with crossover on y block?thermastat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I plan on keeping the single exhaust with crossover on my f100 until I can afford the rams horns manifolds. I bought all new gaskets and what not but I noticed the passenger side manifold has a heat riser. I noticed the heat risor doesnt open up much. How much is it supposed to open up? Is there a way I can ditch the riser? If so what can I use and where could I get it?

For the thermastat what brand and what type should I get? It doesnt get too cold here in cali so I dont need anything crazy.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just cut the butterfly out but leave the shaft. You'll end up with a rod through the center but no leaks.

The butterfly should open until it is in line with the exhaust flow but if it is working correctly it will have to be up to operating temp for that to happen.

We always eliminated them. Often the spring breaks and it rattles and clanks like hell. If the unit is a separate piece with gaskets on both ends you still will need to use it as a spacer or the pipe won't fit correctly unless you make a new down pipe.

Unless you are commuting in traffic in 20 degree weather they are not needed.

3. R Pope

R Pope

I just torch the shaft and remove the whole works and put a long bolt back in.

4. Ole don

Ole don

A thermostate may not be needed, but they should be in there to make the motor heat up. A warm motor will last longer and get better fuel mileage, and it will keep the oil cleaner.

5. Thanks guys, I will just cut the butterfly out and leave the shaft. What about the thermastat? I know it needs to build up some pressure.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's not for pressure it's there to insure that the engine gets up to a good operating temp. I was raised on using 180 degree stats. on the engines from the 50s-60s. I always use one. I like to keep my engines between 180-200.

There are a lot of wives tails about thermostats. The newer smog engines run 195 stats for emissions purposes with coolant recovery systems. I'll stick to my 180 stat.

7. Tommy, would a 180 stat be good in the california weather?

8. DrJ

DrJ

If thermostats weren't "needed" car mfgrs wouldn't spend millions of dollars putting them in cars in the first place. Your car will run more efficiently with a 180 or higher thermostat.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's supposed to be 100 degrees here today.

I drove my 36 Ford with a 283 using a 180 stat to the Nats at Memphis Tenn. in 1980 running an original 36 radiator and a non pressurized cap. It was over 100 degrees for the whole week. Not a problem.

180 stats were always the norm. All the cars came with 180 stats then. I'm sure yours had one when it was new.

10. Thanks again tommy, you are alot of help. Do you prefer a certain brand?

11. do yourself a favor and buy a 180 deg. stat and a 160 deg. stat and try them both out.. You have to remember that a Y has two exhaust valves right next to each other with no coolant flowing between them (unless they have been modified) so it tends to make a hot spot..

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not really.

13. Ok cool. I will go ahead and get a stat today. I just painted the intake and thermastat housing with duplicolor die cast paint. Came out real good....better then I thought it would. I just dont know what color to paint everything else.

14. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I had a rebuilt Y-block with a 195 thermostat. It never ever went over 200 degrees, even on 90+ degree days in stop & go traffic. Typical summer operating temperature was 180. All winter it stayed right at 160.

15. Skankin, I think I will start with a 180 and go from there.