Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fkathead distrivutor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

My 1938 Ford flathead refused to start yesterday. Problem no spark. Upon researching I found that the little spring tit that goes from the coil to the points was melted. Now here is the problem. Sometime someone as installed a conversion to a regular type coil on it. There is a plate that bolts where the original coil was in the top of the distributor that resembles the bottom of a regular coil. Little spring tit with the condenser and secondary winding wire attached and the tower like rotor terminal where the high voltage wire from the coil attaches. I can find no reference to this type of conversion anywhere,. I'd like to replace the part if I can find it. Any one ever seen this type of coil conversion and where did it come from? Where can I buy replacement parts?:confused:

OK! now that I got the pictures posted. What caused the spring tit to melt. I do not see a ballast resistor anywhere nor do I know if the coil has a built in resistor.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Bob Drake sells them as well as Speedway motors

3. Contact GMC BUBBA he is the Dizzy Master....

4. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

"What caused the spring tit to melt. I do not see a ballast resistor anywhere nor do I know if the coil has a built in resistor."

Probably running 12V, too. That'll definitely melt your tits off.

You need 3-4 amps ... via a proper resistor. Use your ohm meter to measure the resistance across the +/- terminals of the coil. Divide that into the volts you're running. Add whatever resistor is needed to drop down to 3-4.

5. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Sent it off to Bubba yesterday. Lookin forward to it's return, to see if all the praise is for real.:)