Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hayward Car Show......1961

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, Jun 7, 2011.

1. @R&C RON and @RodP - Wow! ... great stuff! ... Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. R&C RON

R&C RON

Great eye Rik....you are correct on the Plymouth...and to the left is the great Cunningham 40' Ford , with Dave Cunningham standing at the drivers door.

3. Rikster

Rikster

I love this version of the car with the white scallops/flames...

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And is that Ivo's bucket behind the white 27 roadster. If not who's? Maybe DeBenidictus's

5. RodP

RodP

That is Eddie Johnson's 57 Plymouth. He was from Petaluma. It had extended fins rolled pans and Joe Wilhelm had just finished painting it in shades of Pearl white and Orange. It was a late entry and there is no other information in the program. I don't have Andy's book in front of me but I think Gordy Stefan's Plymouth was a '55 or '56.

6. Rikster

Rikster

Correct.. I just checked... and the book is wrong... well sort of mixed up. The caption says 55 Plymouth, but the photo shows this 57 Plymouth.

7. RodP

RodP

Yeah, my pal Andy kind'a slipped up on that one.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. R&C RON

R&C RON

Neither one.....It was a local guy, Don Brusseau from San Lorenzo.

[​IMG]
    Hot Rod Magazine July 1960

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great car. I need to buy the book. I already have Customs of the 50s, what am I waiting for? :D

Here's another I have of the same car with a different paint job.

[​IMG]

10. Rik (@Rikster) -

Nope ... I'm thinkin' that Andy Southard Jr. (@AndySS) just goofed up the caption for his '61 GNRS photo of Cushenberry's "El Matador" displayed next to a '57 Plymouth hardtop:

To the right is Gordon Stefans's 1955 Plymouth hardtop. The front is highly customized with a floating bar grille, the bottom bumper grille from a '57 Dodge, and tubular grilles. The 1958 Buick parking lights are cupped in '55 Buick bumper tips. The interior and trunk are upholstered in white-and-orange Naugahyde, and the exterior paint is pearl white with orange sherbet, trimmed in gold. Western Wheel and Rim Company did the chromed reverse wheels.

Gordon Stefans was a pinstriper & sign painter from my hometown of Fremont, CA ... I remember going over to his house in the '70s / '80s and seeing pics of his '55 Plymouth hardtop Custom on his garage wall.

Sondre (@SuperFleye) has some pics of Gordon's re-styled '55 Plymouth on his Kustomrama site ... just click HERE.

EDIT: D'oh! :eek: ... You guys are too fast! ... or maybe I just type too slow :eek:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  11. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Awesome! thanks!

12. chip chipman

chip chipman

Rod, Here is a picture I took a few years back of Joe Ortiz along with his autograph. Chip.

Attached Files:

13. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

R&C Ron
    Thanks so much for sharing these great pictures! I see several cars, besides the ones already mentioned, that I recognize from old R&C magazines that I have.

14. thanks Ron.
    I love the history lesson. Great shots from the archives.

15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for another great thread Ron!