Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need wheel expert information on 1935 wires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowphat53, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Hey knowledgable HAMBers, I have a question. When running 1935 ford wires, which way is the wheel plate supposed to go? Does the lip go out towards the wheel or is it suppose to go inside the hub ring of the drum/adaptor toward the car? Please help... Here are photos for reference.
    [​IMG]
    This is lip out toward wheel...
    [​IMG]
    This is lip in, toward the car... So which is it?

2. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

How's it look when the ring is in the back of the rim?

3. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

The lip doesn't sit inside the ring of the wheel if that is what you are asking... The lip on the wheel plate is bigger than the opening in the center of the wheel!

4. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

not sure what purpose it would serve if facing the axel..it's supposed to support the center ring on the wheel...perhaps you have the wrong plates...???

5. 64gal

64gal

I believe the lip goes out towards the wheel, that would make your later model flat drum look like an earlier model drum with the projection. You should be able to tell when you try to seat the wheel on the drum, which way feels correct. Also lay the spacer on the inside of the wheel to see where the the lip contacts the wheel. Good luck.

6. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

do your wheels look like this:

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
  7. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Yes choppedtudor, they do look like that. It would make sense that the lip on the plate goes toward the wheel but as I mentioned above the ring/lip on the plate doesn't fit inside the wheel.

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

are the spokes on your wheels welded to the rims? maybe not 35 fords....

9. F&J

F&J

It's not supposed to go inside the big hole in the 35 wheel.

That extended ring is supposed to support the edge of the big hole on the wheel.

If that ring was not there, and as you tighten the lugs, then the unsupported area around the big hole will bend.

I may not be clear enough..so I hope you got it

10. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Looking at it a bit closer, I see exactly what F&J is saying. The plate seems to support the edge as you suggested. These wheels are being replaced soon, but as I was cleaning some stuff up, I took off the plates and when I went to put them back on, I wasn't sure which way was correct. Thanks for the clarification and help.

11. F&J

F&J

You got it.

Just spotted something in your first pic to help others understand the rings:

See the un-rusted spots just outside of each lug hole on the ring? Now look at the edge of the raised ring, and see it has no rust?

Those unrusted spots are what is supporting your 35 wheel correctly. You should be able to visualize how the wheel inner face would bend when tightening the lugs, "if" that raised ring was not there. In other words, the face of the wheel would only touch the 5 spots on the outer edge of each lughole.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder who was the first guy to figure out the rings were needed? [​IMG]