Register now to get rid of these ads!

old guys with cool crap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von birch, Jun 8, 2011.

1. von birch

von birch

welli only put him in the old fart category cause he has a reputation in the area. no age...just a mindset that puts you there! i respect old guys more than anyone...no better place to learn that sittin down and talkin to the old guys, even i know that.

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Vonbirch You said no age on the oldfart deal.You used the word old three times in one sentence so could you tell us what the younger guys classify as old these days.

3. von birch

von birch

well the important thing is to realize that i don't by any means use "old" as a bad thing. i don't use the word "old" to imply used up or useless or not worth the time of day. i use it just as everyone has been refering to me as a "young" guy (with more distain than i ever intended). When I describe and older person, it's just an observation of their age, not some terrible, derrogatory word. if anything I generally try to use it in a respectful way. perhaps "old fart" isn't too respectful or the proper term to use, but then again, not EVERYONE is offended by it. In this case, it was meant merely to serve as a touch of humor in my thread. i meant no disrespect to the gentleman who i'm refering to in the thread here, but as i'm met with some animocity, i apologize to anyone who my wording offended. i have to admit except for a some helpful answers, im sorry i posted...

4. I don't think anyone here was offended by your use of words ... they are simply suggesting that your choice of words "suggests" that you already have made up your mind as to what type of person this old gentleman is.

Problem with the internet is people don't really know for sure how you meant what you said. You said something in "jest" and people read it different. Hard to convey "tone of voice" or facial expressions when typng something so because of that some people will take what you said the way you meant it and others will not.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

There you go man,your attitude has already changed from your 1st post. Good luck with your adventure.The only true way to learn is to ask questions.

6. as said before if you want to profit from the guy, well,that aint cool.
    if he has something that you could use or a car that you will actually restore then yeah,befriend him and good luck.
    I have an old friend,he has family that dont visit him or help him and he has "friends" that only want his stuff to profit from.
    I have told him that if he sells it tome I will take care of it like he does.
    too bad as soon as we lose him his crackhead family will be out here to take everything and scrap it.guaranteed.
    another old guy had a coe that wouldnt sell because he thought that I was going to let it rot like he did or I was going to sell it.
    He finally figured that if he didnt sell it,people would eventually steal it for scrap.
    The 2nd week I had it,it was clean and the major dents fixed,He was so happy that he told me to use any donor car he had for this project.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  7. metalshapes

metalshapes

If you want to be his friend, be his friend.

Dont be "friendly" to try and finagle him out of his stuff.

If he is sitting on a stash of cool old stuff you wont be the first that tried that, and its the sort of thing that turns us into jaded old bastards....

8. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I,m an old fart, and I have sold stuff that I wasnt using, and too many times I have found that I need those parts later on. Back when there was a lot of stuff available it wasnt so bad but now many parts are unobtainable. I have some extra fenders etc and misc stuff stashed as spares as it is bound to happen that I will need them as soon as they are gone.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Metalshapes I am an OldFart but the Jaded old bastard title sure sounds better.Have to use that in the future.

10. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

It's all in the approach. As stated earlier in this thread ask , whats the story on this or that. The more you can make him talk and the less you talk is an extreme positive. These old guys are just like us "young" guys they want to tell their story to someone who will listen and act like they give a dam. It's amazing how many good friends you meet one time in life.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm another one that a lot of guys might feel is one of those "old guys" and I have to say read what OldWolf wrote in post # 14. Your attitude and how you present yourself when you show up on someone's doorstep has as much to do with how they are going to react to you and if you are going to sell to them no matter what your age is. I've had guys pull in the yard thinking that I owed it to them just because I live out in the country on a farm and have a bunch of stuff sitting around.
    And what was said about who you take with you and what you drive up in might have a lot to do too.

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

I'm an old guy (75) with some cool crap. how about this 1957 Y Block 312 with a factory super charger? It is coming out for a renew.

Attached Files:

13. von birch

von birch

thats pretty sick there man, hope this old fella has one of those lyin around...

14. drpepperdude

drpepperdude
    from newark DE

Where the heck is this place in Delaware? I guess because I live in Newark (not rural) everything is kept inside because I rarely see places like that. I've just gotten over the fact that when I need some old part I have to drive to New York to get it.

15. von birch

von birch

hey man i feel ya...ive been living in kansas, nice people and WAAAAAAAAAY more cars. i think the last few junk yards i knew of closed up before i came back, sold there stuff to be crushed. this particular place is like between lewes and georgetown. but yeah...theres almost nothing before 1960 in the whole state]

16. jamn47

jamn47

Walk up late at night, and tell him you're his son from the Girl he nailed while fighting the German's in France. Works everytime!

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I gave my friend an "Old Fart" once.

He parked his Dodge Dart Swinger at our local burger joint. His windows were rolled up and his weatherstripping was nice and tight.

He went inside to go order some food. I opened the door, sat down in it, and I cut the biggest tear jerkin', rotten egg fart I could. I got out, closed the door.

Later, when he went to get in the car, I could see by his expession that the "old fart" was still lingering around in there.

My other buddies and I had a good laugh.

Don't know why I felt like sharing that. Just seemed appropriate, I guess. :)

18. I just want to add that you don't have to be a "old fart" to have desirable stuff that you do not wish to sell. This one guy keeps trying to buy my blazer. First time I told him $100,000. "It's not worth that" he said. THEN IT"S NOT FOR SALE! .... He's sent his son, brother, cousin, whatever......EVERYTIME... IT"S NOT FOR SALE. I've even seen him sitting in the car they drove to my house in. I actually started to get pissed about it. I have no trespassing signs posted. Meaning..... DO NOT SET FOOT ON MY PROPERTY without permission......Last time they showed up I told him he better be wearing a bulletproof vest next time he steps on my land. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. sorry rant over....

19. jamn47

jamn47

Leave a starving PitBull chained to the blazer.

20. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

do you have to want something from him to make a friend. geez im glad i am an old fart

21. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple more suggestions that might help. Dont go snooping around his property, thats pretty much a guarantee you will get chased off. Go directly to the front door, or approach the gentleman if you happen to see him outside.

Bring him a problem to help solve - most folks will at least listen to you if they think you are not out after their stuff. I have made friends in the past when I asked about how they built something, or how they made those welds, etc.

If you do make contact, and he starts telling you stories about how he chased off so-and-so who only wanted to buy stuff - take a hint! Dont be in a rush. Clearly hes had these cars and parts for a long time. Unless he kicks the bucket, its likely he will continue to have is collection for awhile.

If (and when) you feel it would be appropriate to ask if he would sell something, pay his asking price - dont haggle. Thats called the price of admission. Most folks (young or old) know what it would take to replace a sold item, so you will likely just piss him off with low ball offers. If you didnt bring the cash, say so and ask if you could come back next week after you earn the rest. (Use the word *earn* here).

And its worth repeating, if he see you flipping his stuff for profit, no more good guy deals for you. So make sure you know what you want, and why you want it before you approach him.

You might be surprised if you find out a new friendship is worth more than the stuff itself...

Good luck!

22. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Be sure to call him an "Old Fart" when you meet him. That'll really help.

23. old farts are in all of us we just don't know it til someone says it about ya
    i know i'm on the fence...

oh ya bring him something he might be willing trade for..

24. dlotraf

dlotraf

Now I'm not really an Old Fart yet, but feel like one. And am called a cranky old man so I'll tell you what I think. First most of this thread reads like 101 ways to con an old man out of his cool stuff. If what you are interested in is buying his 41 whatist, then knock on his door, be polite, tell him your interested in 41 whatist's and was wondering if he might be interested in sell one, or has some parts he might considering parting with. To me the idea of go make friends with him so he will sell to you or give stuff to you, well it just pisses me off. Now in the process you might make a friend or an enemy. But be honest. If your looking for a friend, that great. But don't go there with some plan to befriend him so you can steal his hoard. That reason and some of the others mentioned is exactly why some guys won't sell anything. Someone got pissed he wouldn't sell somthing, or wanted what they thought was too much, or was just an ass, so now when someone comes to the door they don't want to be bothered. After all it is their cool stuff. It ain't Wal-Mart. So to the OP, just be direct, polite, and honest about your intentions. I know I don't need some clown pretending to be my friend just to get his hands on MY stuff..............JMHO.

25. von birch

von birch

Walk up late at night, and tell him you're his son from the Girl he nailed while fighting the German's in France. Works everytime!

the last few guys i loved theri posts bu8t yours is EASILY the best hahahaha. thats the best ive ever heard!

26. jamn47

jamn47

Thanks man! Us guys guys from Jersey are sick from drinking all the Mercury in the water when we were kids....It's all fun! I watched an angry old man down the street from me when I was a kid let a Model A coupe turn to dust. he refused to do anything except load it with newspapers till you couldn't see the car anymore...

27. skoh73

skoh73

If you can make friends with an older gent (or gal for that matter) you will be richer for having them impart their knowledge and stories- that is priceless.

28. ravedodger

ravedodger

Back to the old fart thing. At 39, somehow, I don't know any old farts anymore. When I hang out with my step father (age 64), we're peers. Am I an old fart now?

My take? Don't become a friend just to use the man. Using a person to get at his treasures, I believe, is not the definition of the word "friend"--maybe drop the r and become a fiend.

29. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Like said before show up in a cool car and don't rev your engine ,turn OFF your cell phone ( it's rude to be talking to some one and your phone rings,then you answer it) Don't take pictures of his stuff with your cel phone either,it pisses them off. It is violating his space. Be polite and offer your name and a hand shake. It shows respect.

30. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

classy