Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History of Super Stock Drag Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MXrider13, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

I have been googling and asking around for info on the History of Super Stock racing with no luck. I figured I ask here at the HAMB. So far all I found on here is event coverage of Nostalgia Super Stock races, nothing about the history of it. Can someone help me find a cited source with History of Super Stock racing?

2. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

There is a Good book available, B&N, Borders, from Cartech I think, "Super Stock - Drag Racing the Family Sedan" try it out!

3. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Alright I guess that is the only source, Ill have to find a used one though I don't know if I can spare $30 right now.

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have done research on this subject and have come to the conclusion that the first Super Stock class was contested in 1956 at Cordova Ill. That is not a declaration but my opinion. Arnie Beswick raced a '56 Dodge D500 there. He did not win but another D500 did.

5. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Do you have a cited source though?

6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Great Book !!

7. S/S was great (IMO) as it allowed some modification(s) that would make it street neat but disqualify it for Stock or push it into MP. It still allowed all cars to be within the same playing field.

Attached Files:

8. Check used books on Amazon. If you know what you are looking for you can usually get used books from there at a good price.

I know a little about Super stock racing because I was around when it happened but I doubt that I could give you much that is historically correct. Most things from back then I have logged by the approximate year that I was in school. That really screws up the dates for things.

Anyway Amazon is your best bet for used books.

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was the first to create nostalgia Super Stock racing with the Super Stock Reunions in 1985. Over the last 25 years there have been a couple hundred former racers attend and that has created a lot of bench racing as to when the class started. I have over a thousand car magazines I used for research trying to pin down the birth and I could find nothing earlier than the 1956 race. Like I said, I am not declaring that to be the birth but it is the earliest I found a major race offered the class.

10. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

11. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

Thank you anyway

12. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

For cheap older books, try Abebooks.com

13. colesy

colesy

This thread here on the HAMB is probably the best history of Super/Stock racing I've ever read about. The fellow who started the thread sure seems to know a great deal about the subject. Check it out.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089&highlight=hayden