Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 glued together!!! Ahhh!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjayf, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Ok so I am trying to pull apart a T5 that someone had rebuilt at some point.
    When they reassembled it they glued that darn thing back together using silicone. I cannot get it apart. I have used heat and a hammer..nothing, pulled and pryed , nothing...
    anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pe...............

3. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

nous defons

4. Solvent like gasoline will dissolve Slicione/Silastic....give it a go...

Rat

5. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

yeah, I'm looking up good silicone solvents currently...I'll try it tomarrow...thanks guys

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In every sense.

[​IMG]

Doc.

7. stick a knife in the seam and work your way around???just an idea

8. moter

moter

Razor blade...tap it in with a small hammer

9. I bought a '79 Camaro years ago for the trans (a just rebuilt TH350) ... the clowns glued the trans to the engine :eek: (I had never come across that before or since) ... ended up breaking a large chunk off of the trans case while trying to separate the two :mad:.

May your luck be better than mine :).

10. Deuces

Deuces

Glueing the engine to the trans.. That a good one! :rolleyes:

11. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

thats exactly what I am trying to avoid, there is no room to get anything between the tail and main case not even a razor, and I am really trying to aviod chipping marring and cracking the aluminum.
    I spread paint thinner around the seams last night...no luck
    am I going to destroy anything by filling the trans with solvent and letting it soke?

12. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, there are plastic parts in there. The solvent will probably melt them.

Are you sure you've got all the bolts out? Is the speedo stuff out? Is all the shifter stuff removed to the tail can slide off?

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Any silicone type sealers will not bond that tight. I think you will find that type of sealer was used when the trans was made. I have split numerious M/C case and trans etc. using the knife blade taped into the joint . Do it at a bolt lug in several places. A bit of common sense helps also.

14. Panama Red

Panama Red

Must be more than silicone holding it together. That's exactly what the rebuild manuals say to use - there are no gaskets. I've had mine apart after my rebuild and had no trouble popping off the tail housing. Mine is from an S10 and I was able to place a large screwdriver between the shifter mount and the top cover of the trans. Gentle prying separated the cases enough to slide a putty knife around the remaining surfaces. If you're using a different model T5 with the shifter mount to the rear, my method wouldn't work of course.

15. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

ok, no solvent into the cases.
    I will try get a razor in there.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Must be some seriously strong silicone.

17. I would suggest that you NOT assume the sealer used is silicone based ... common sense would "suggest" that it is (or at least what it SHOULD be) BUT you really have no idea what product they happened to have sitting around the shop that got used that day.

As mentioned before, I destroyed a TH350 by using too much force to separate the trans from the engine ... every mechanical fastener was removed from between the engine and trans and I know for a fact that the "glue" they used was not a rubbery silicone product. (in my case, I have no idea why someone would glue the two together).

18. I just pulled the bearing retainer off a T5, I used a paint scraper that I introduced to my belt sander a while back..... :rolleyes: I sanded a scraper as thin as I could get it on the edge. That and my plastic mallet made short work of the silicone. As someone else pointed out, it IS what the manual says to use.

19. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

" A bit of common sense helps also."

what are you suggesting!?

by the way all the bolts are out and the shifter is out as well as the pin that connects the shift mech to the rest of the it.

the stuff is rubbery so at least its not some kind of hard epoxy or something but it feels like the trans is still bolted together..... and its not ive checked over and over again.

20. you could tie a strap with a ratchet to each end and tie the other ends to a parked truck and/or a pillar and slowly tight both straps.
    That should pull it apart.

21. I thinking I'd be trying some heat from a propane torch (not too much heat) and the razor blade idea.

I am not a chemist (meaning I don't know what solvents react with glue) and sense isn't very common around my parts but that's what I would try.

22. cakes

cakes

a very large rubber mallet with a wood block as a hitting surface. Shit its only a T5, if you fuck up the tail shaft housing just go to your local trans shop. I can almost guarantee they have at least one core there.

23. Like this? :eek:

[​IMG]

24. F@ck yeah like that:D:D
    You could use 2 horses and do it medieval style too

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

26. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Or two Hot Rods... :cool:

27. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

ok, I got it apart. there was NO room for a box cutter or anything at all. I used a "come along" a torch and a hammer and after alot of heat hammering and more tension than I would have liked using, they started coming apart.
    now I need find that mini reverse shifter fork thats not broken...how I broke a steel shifter fork i have no idea...

28. Glad you got it apart!

29. Good job

30. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

ok, after some welding, reassembly went just fine, and she is back together with permatex!!!!
    and yes the manual does say to use silicone.