Register now to get rid of these ads!

62' 327/300 proper operating temps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

prior to the a/c install i was running 185-195deg on the freeway depending on the outside temps. sitting in traffic i ran 195-200 typically.

After the a/c install. i run 195 deg with the a/c off on the freeway. so i take it that the a/c condensor is restricting the airflow and raising my temps by 10 degs. this causes me to hit the 210 deg mark in stop and go traffic. Is this to high? what is safe operating temps. if i stop the car and wait 5 mins or so when i come back the temp range is in the 220-230 for a few mins untill im moving again. What is acceptable? is overheating temp at 230?

i have noticed that as i approach the 210 mark it wants to die out. almost like the idle is set to low. is this normal?<!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->

Would a supplemental electric fan w/ the stock fan and shroud help this problem out. im trying to avoid buying a new 4 core radiator.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Add a fan shroud and a 7 blade clutch fan... You can also switch to a 180 degree thermostat... That should cool things off a bit..

3. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

210 is pushing it. The higher temps are from heat soak, after the water quits moving. The dying out could probably be a couple things, not really considered normal..well normal for that high of temps, but not good.

Even with your a/c running, I would really try to get the temps down around 200ish in traffic.

What condition is your cooling system in now? Just as an example, I'm driving an older off topic truck, with no fan shroud, and a 2 core radiator, and a big block. I expected it to overheat this summer, but even in traffic in these 100+ degree days, I havent really seen over 190. My a/c isnt running, but there is a condenser in front.

The radiator is new though, and I'm pretty sure thats whats helping, maybe yours isnt flowing too well?

I definitely think I'd splurge for a new 4 core, or something along those lines, rather then cook the motor like that daily. Its only gonna get worse, when you do run the a/c.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

You need a shroud.Are you running an auto tranny?If so you can install a tranny cooler and get that heat away from the radiator. Some cars that are still running the thin 2-row radiators after adding A.C are running an extra electric fan that just comes on when A.C. is turned on. After getting it cooled down some if you still have the stumbling at idle just adjust it up a little.

5. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Install an idle sol that increases the idle when the AC is on, I believe a lot of the old Chevys in the late 60's had them I'd be happy if the temp was 200 also but 220 is my top limit!

6. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

so heres the current set up. stock fan and clutch w/ shroud and 3 core radiator 4speed no other options. before the a/c install it ran in the 175-185 range with a max of 200. so it was up to snuff before the a/c is the only change. would a 7 blade flex fan be better than the stock fan and clutch

7. squirrel

squirrel

Clutch fan is better IF the clutch is in good condition. They wear out. If it spins after you shut the motor off, it's tired and not doing it's job.

New cars run at 210 all the time. 180-200 would be better for your car though.

If you haven't had the radiator worked on in the past several years, you might want to have it checked/cleaned.

8. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Check your fan clutch, to make sure it's working properly, flush the system, new 180 degree thermostat and coolant, and a 5 or 7 bladed fan should do you just fine.

9. Deuces

Deuces

DO NOT buy a cheezy flex fan!!!! I'd horror stories about those things... If anything, switch to a 180 degree thermostat... Do not pull the new out of the package just in case you already have 180 degree stat on your motor... Your could exchange the 180 for a 160 degree stat..

10. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

well here is alittle more info after my drive tonight.
    it starts out good warming up to 180-185 and hold this temp for a good 30 mins of spirited driving w a/c it was mostly back roads so there were 3 or 4 stops but mostly 50+. (outside temp 100+deg)

once i got into town i stoped by the bank and sat in the drive thru the temps rose to the 200-210 mark as i started to move again the droped a little but stayed constant at 200+. this was in stop and go traffic w/ the a/c on, few lights no more that 30 mph. but the temp didnt increase while driving.

stoped and ran into day care and picked the kiddo up came out and the car was in the 220-230 range right after start up. i hoped on the freeway 50+ and came home and the temp never went below 220.with a/c off or on it didnt matter. it seems like the car can keep a constant temp while driving or minor sitting but dosent have the ability to bring the temp down when it increases.

would it be a good idea to try to flush the radiator and block? can this be done at home (this is a daily driver so no droping it off at the shop)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  11. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

update:

well im not going to jinx it by saying problem solved, but after replacing the el-cheapo- flex fan with a 7 blade fan the same trip i took last friday where i ended up with 220+ temps i ran today and ended up with 190-195 deg.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The idea behind flex fans looks good in the ads, but I've never seen one that performed as advertised.

13. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

how about those coolant additives do they help?dont think different temp thermostat would help since problem happens after system already hot.fan shroud helped me with a good fan clutch