Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Carpet...NOT HAPPY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sconnors, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Hi guys
    Just finished putting carpet in my 1950 Buick yesterday. I ordered it from Kanter, spoke to a guy on the phone, gave him ALL the information on the car. Got the carpeting and am not happy.

First of all, the seam on the back is gray and the seam on the front is black. Secondly, the carpet is WAY too small for the car. I let it sit out in the sun as suggested for about two hours and it's about two inches too short on each side. I've attached some pictures.

The thing that bugs me is their catalog says all carpet sets are 'custom made to fit your vehicle' well my car has an under the seat heater where obviously there should be no carpet but there was and I had to cut it. I had the old stuff out, the seats out, and the use of a garage for one day so I had no choice but to put the carpeting in.

I emailed Kanter yesterday, haven't heard a thing and doubt I will. Just a heads up if anyone else is ordering...be careful.

Attached Files:

2. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

So how did you order? You just tell them what year/make/model you have? Do they ask about custom stuff like your heater?

I wouldn't black ball 'em just yet. It's been one day. Let's see how their customer service is before we go grab the pitch forks.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Looks like the stuff they sell at wally mart

4. Gerrys

Gerrys

Are they mats or full carpet?

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kanter's good people. Give them the chance to make it right. Don't just post up a bad experience. I order shit all the time and more often than I like it comes through wrong color, cut short, poor quality, and I don't mean ALL Kanter. It happens from all of these "source" companies. Give them the opportunity to make it right. If you get a "Fuck off", well then tell us about it.

6. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

I gave them everything. Year, make, model, four door, wheelbase. Told it was a 1950 Buick Special Deluxe Tourback Sedan Model 41D. Four door, Dynaflow automatic transmission, 121.5 in wheelbase.

7. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Full carpets.

8. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Well it was a lot of work to pull the seats, pull the old carpet etc. only to find out it's the wrong stuff. Even IF they make it right, I'll have to do it all over again

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't wanna rag on ya, but if it was too short why continue? In similar instances we simply don't use it and get the right stuff. If they sent me yellow paint and I asked for orange I wouldn't go ahead and paint it and then complain. Ok, maybe that's extreme, but wouldn't you have been better off driving it w/out carpet until the right gig was sent out?

10. 8inarow

8inarow
    from Virginia

Had the exact same issue with carpets for my 51 Special from another carpet supplier. They made it right. I thinks the patterns they use are for a chevy.

11. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Yes, but I only had the garage for a day. And like I said I had everything out of the car. You're right I should have waited but I had to cut the carpet anyway to see if it fit, and once you cut it you can't return it. So once I started I figured I might as well use what they sent me. Lesson learned I guess.

12. el shad

el shad

I agree. We all screw up. I understand the frustration but you should give them a chance to make it right.

13. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

The guy said he was unhappy. I didn't see a FU there. Only had one day to complete the job. I understand his fustration as well as his dismay at their product being cut for his particular vehicle incorrectly. I'm sure most of you guys wouldn't be happy doing the same job over again, regardless if he left the ill fitting carpet in or not.

14. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Just got off the phone with James at Kanter. Sent him the pics and he says they'll make it right. I'll keep you posted.

15. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Don't get me wrong, surely it sucks. Nobody wants to do anything like that twice if they don't have to. But he did say,
    So again... IT'S BEEN ONE DAY! Just like I said originally.

16. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Good to hear!

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I wouldnt be happy either ,I would not care if they made it right ,Should of been right to begin with,Sure its fine to make it right ,But now he has to line up a garage and do it again,Buisnesses should not sell a defective product ,Bottom line.........

18. You might just have to eat crow and print a retraction,,Kanter is a good company to deal with and I will almost guarantee 99% of the other company's out there would not make it right after you had cut the product.

Keep us posted.

BTW,,Crow ain't bad once you have developed a taste for it!.:D HRP

19. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

It looks like they may have sent you 2 different carpets, front and rear from different models. Good to hear it's getting cleared up.

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are lucky they are going to make it right after cutting it up. I have to agree you wouldn"t be here bitching if you had taken the time to make sure of the measurements before trying to install it. Good luck.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The heater isn't custom. :rolleyes: It's factory.

22. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Well you got me there. He said he had to cut out carpet for it so I just assumed.......................... :eek:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The heater was one of the reasons he didn't think it was "custom " made for that model, they have heaters under the seat, the manufacturer should have known.

24. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

why do you need a garage to install carpet? not being a wise ass, just wondering?

25. Cub8556

Cub8556

Glad Kanter made it right... they have always been a pleasure to deal with for me.

26. Not sure what you do for a living, but it must be nice knowing that a mistake is NEVER made at your job :rolleyes:

Wasn't the "Venti Heater" introduced in 50 as an option? If so, they probably wouldn't be pre cut.

I have to wonder why when you saw the two different bindings and no hole for the heater why you wouldn't stop there and contact them. I realize you had one day lined up, but shit happens and you could have saved a lot of grief and work by stopping at that point.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

remember when Wendys hamburgers were new on the market? the burger was way larger then the bun..

now in todays economy they made th bun smaller, but the burger is still smaller

welcome to todays marketing:rolleyes:

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Kanter has been a good company for me to deal with. But I understand your frustration. Almost nothing I order from ANY source ever just fits right on or bolts right up any more. I've just learnerd to expect that and be glad that I can get a part that at least looks right. Something like carpet or a headliner that is wrong really is tougher to deal with. Good luck, I bet they take care of you.

29. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

mmmmmm.....burgers.......

30. badshifter

badshifter

Don't work on old stuff much do you? Perhaps you should stick with working on cars that you can get parts from the dealerships. I'm pretty sure Kanter didn't get where they are with a business plan that includes sticking it to the customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.