Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Ford Victoria Question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drthrasher, Jun 6, 2011.

1. drthrasher

drthrasher
    from PELZER,SC

Just bought a 56 Victoria basket case with a front cross member needing replaced. Anyone have any thoughts and/or ideas about putting the body on a newer (2003ish) Crown Vic chassis ? Will it work ?

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You could just replace the crossmember or you could always put a straight axle under it.;)

3. Hambone64

Hambone64

There are several threads on the updating of 54-56 Ford chassis/ front ends; especially the 56's.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Crossmembers are the first entity to rust in the '54-'56. The front suspension is superior, so replacement of the member is advisable. I have replaced them with 1.75" tubes, but it's some work, as the front of the control arms hinge from there.
    I have seen N.O.S. front crossmembers on the Bay, and have installed dropped tubes in place of the stock one when converting to an axle, as LowBudget suggested.

Forget the 2003 Crown Vic chassis. With the aluminum front crossmember and all the frills it is too wide. (61")
    I would love one more '56 Vicky, but I'm in the middle of a '54 Ford Coupe.
    Please use restraint when deciding what to do...those Vickies are 'precious'!

5. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

the cross member is an easy change

6. I just replaced the front crossmember in my '55 Ford, new repro ones are being made now, not difficult to replace if you've got the front sheet metal off. The '54-'56 Ford chassis in good condition handles really well, with the added advantage that it fits the body like it was made for it--because it was.

7. drthrasher

drthrasher
    from PELZER,SC

Thanks to all that have replied. I am excited about this project ,and appreciate the responce.

8. LostHope

LostHope

replaced my crossmember on my 54 easy to do..sometimes you find them on ebay
    and try this guy Goodell Fabrications 11986 S 267th E Avenue Coweta OK 74429 918-636-7071

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  9. I vote replace the cross-member. Double no to chassis swap. Most of these attempts wind up either looking like crap or getting hauled off of the bone yard in pieces.
    As stated, '56 Ford front ends are more than adequate as long as they are in good condition, and with the addition of a decent sway bar and radial tires you will be more than happy with it.

10. LostHope

LostHope

also wanted to suggest if you replace the crossmember drill drain holes,under where each of the a arms bolt up to prevent getting another rusty one ...something ford over looked!

11. Join the group, lots of good stuff for these Fords. Front x-member is an almost "gotta-do" for these cars. I think it would be a lot easier than swapping the entire undercarriage/frame. All parts are still available for the original chassis/suspension.

The x-member on mine was virtually non-existant 'cept for a bunch of rust; it was one of the first things replaced when restoration started.

Got some pix?

Ron

12. just out of curiosity what does a front x member for a 55-56 cost?

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Theres one on ebay now,new for 329.00 buy it now,so fairly pricey but you may find one cheaper.

14. Ole don

Ole don

I would cut it out, lay it on the floor and make one like it. Its not that big a job.