Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-3 Tornado Damage in Mass (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jun 3, 2011.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Hello Everyone-

I'm sure you are well-aware of the tornados that started in the city of Springfield, Mass and travelled east about 20-30 miles through rural towns, etc across southern Massachusettes. While I understand most everyone's attention is on the Jolpin scene right now (and understandably so), I please ask that you take a moment to view these photos and consider donating to the Massachusettes Red Cross to help people affected by these nasty tornados'. i know there are several HAMBers here who were directly affected or have family members who are directly affected.

These photos are from the Wales/Monson/Brimfield Area of Massachussetts where the tornado turned to an F-3, and could potentially be ranked HIGHER by the national weather service, and was about 3/4 of a mile wide. One person was killed in Brimfield, 4 killed in total.

My brother took these photos yesterday when he got the call to bring chain saws to help rescue crews get to houses and barns that where 1000 feet off the road.

The Tornado ripped through entire forests chopping them down like a lawn mower vs. grass. The sights are literally breathtaking and saddening. Entire houses are gone, barns are wiped off the map, cars are crushed liek matchboxes, roofs have collapsed. etc. A co-workers friend who lived across the street ran to hide in the basement. Her entire house disappeared above her and she woke up laying in the street. She is fine with bumps and bruises.

While this isn;t the F5 that hit Joplin this is devastating to this area as we rarely get tornados if this magnitude. We have no sirens, or alerts other than what we see on tv and hear on radio is its amazing that more people were not killed. All are thankful for that; but the devastation is mind boggling.

Stay with me as i have many photos to share

To donate please follow these instructions:

The MA Red Cross asks people to donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief by clicking, texting or calling:
    • Click on REDCROSS.org to make any size donation,
    • Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10,
    • Call 1800 RED CROSS to make any size donation.
    tornado 009.JPG

tornado 013.JPG

tornado 014.JPG

tornado 015.JPG

tornado 019.JPG

tornado 024.JPG

2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

for soem reason i keep getting an ERROR back from the HAMB regarding uploading photos so you will have to bear with me.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

6. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this was definitely a wake up call for massachusetts! luckily it never came closer than a mile or two from my house and as far as i know all of my friends and family escaped with only minor damage and no injuries.

this is a picture taken across the street from where I work, with the tornado behind our building. luckily it stayed about 1 mile away. cbs 3 out of springfield has some amazing footage of the tornado crossing the river, going over the memorial bridge and flipping a tractor trailer truck.

[​IMG]

10. These events are something nobody can prepare for no ryme or reason dont make any sense. So far 2011 has been the worst year for tornado deaths since 1953. We have already had over 1000 tornados this year. add to that the world wide record breaking flooding, earthquakes & volcano eruptions. In my opinion mind you just my opinion and I could be wrong. you dont have to be a nut wearing a tinfoil hat to believe something is up with the earth. I am of the opinion that as we get closer to the planetery alighnment that is supposed to occur on 12-21-2012 the clatyclasmic events will increase in magnitude& frequency. After that alighnment they will very slowly decrease. I really hope im wrong but I think not.:eek: OldWolf

11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this is the tornado that started in westfield ma, and headed east through springfield and monson.

my uncle was ON the bridge when it went over and ended up getting on the highway and driving through it TWICE....

12. This year has proven that no place is immune to catastrophic weather conditions. No matter where you live, have compassion for your fellow man that suffers because it can strike anyone anywhere. If we all help each other through the tough times we will all pull through and be better people for it.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thank you all. A person facebook posted a picture of the tornado approachign him in his car and then hitting him in his car. he was stuck on the bridge with nowhere to go. i cant figure out how to share it with all the non-facebookers here though. it was the most intense thing ive seen so far. his car was anialated

14. Post a link to the photo and i'll see if i cant get it loaded on here for everyone else.

15. the lights

the lights

Wow! I had no idea it was that severe, thank you for sharing as I do not have a tv.

16. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Has anyone heard from Dennis and Sue O'Brien? Hope they are OK

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the Tornado started in Springfield and then went straight east towards Wales/Monson/Brimfield. If they were in that path they probably experienced something. After the first round went through, a 2nd tornado producing round came through...and then a third. It didnt quit up there

Right now the National weather service is saying an F-3 Tornado with the hardest hit areas possibly going higher on the scale.

18. kroozn1

kroozn1

I contacted Skip Reado right after the twister because I couldn't find out if Ayer was hit too. He said Dennis was in York.

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I pm'ed Dennis. They are in York, and they got word from home that all was okay there.

Thanks farmergal for posting this.

My sister and her husbands entire family(over 50 relatives) live in Monson. Everyone is okay and losses were minimal for them, mostly livestock. But alot of their friends lost everything.

I know there are a couple hamb'ers from Monson and nearby towns there. Hopefully all is well with them.

20. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The news was talking with a guy that sayed his mother was staying with him, because her house was wrecked in jolpin and now his house was destroyed. foxnews

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

These darn things are terrible...
    I have been around/thru them for many years up here the mid west..
    Never a good outcome, no matter how small....
    Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved in this one too.

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

23. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

A mother died while shielding her 15 year old daughter from the tornado

24. that is scary!!

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Good Morning Everyone

Here is a link to the Aerial Photos of the damage just north of me. It really was THAT bad. Please consider donating to help these poor people. No donation is too small

If the main photos dont upload on the link click "thumbnails" and you can click on the photo and scroll through

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/gallery/2011tornado_aerials/#/16

26. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Came through my town. I was lucky enough to be about a mile east of the path. After it passed us it went on to Monson. My wifes brother lives in one of the hardest hit neighborhoods. I went up on the roof thursday morning to cover up the damage and i took these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

My heart goes out to all of these people who have had to endure these storms this year..

anyone watching Arizona burning? if it aint one dam thing its another