Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "the blue flame" bonneville car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Oct 15, 2008.

1. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

He probably had a car with a "Blue Flame" under the hood ! In that case , I drove it too, but mine was'nt quite that fast !

2. I think he has been the sun to long! Gary Gabelich dorve the "Blue Flame" and on October 23,1970 he set the FIA and USAC Unlimied World Speed Record at Bonneville Salt Flats. 622.407mph, and the flying mile at 630.388. The engine was not a jet engine, it was a Hybrid rocket engine with thrust of 22,000 pounds modified to 16,000 pounds maximum thrust for subsonic record attempt. Equivalent of 58,000 horsepower. He was the Rocket Man, on January 26,1984 was fatally injured riding his beloved Harley-Davison in San Pedro. Gary was a friend, but he remains the Rocketman to all his friends. We all mis him very much!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. cole

cole

sorry wasnt gary driving beach city vette the night it burned.

4. Sorry, he is wright, It was Ronnie Goodsell driving the Beach City Chevorlet at OCR. It's still a great story and ture. Ronnie was a good friend of the Rockeman.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That would have been Pete Farnsworth out of Milwaukee Wi. He had a FED that raced at Union Grove in the 60's. I believe he was the first car to break the 9 second barrier. At least that's what Bob Metzler said when he did it.

He is still around and I talked to him at his motor home on the spectator line at B'ville a few years ago. A friend of mine lives next door to him but I have never gone over to his place. I should though as we ain't getting any younger

And yes he did have a big hand in building the Blue Flame.

B:)B

6. Pete Farnsworth built dragster, 1960, black/white photo

Pete Farnsworth built dragster chassis and complete car, built for Mike Marinoff, gas dragster, color photo.

Attached Files:

7. Hell Yes! I did the exact same thing. The cool thing is that the Guiness pic has the Blue Flame at speed with a huge ass flame out the back. If I remember correctly, the back wheels came off the ground during the record run.

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Yeaaaaa sure he drove it and he also walked on the moon with Neal Armstrong to.... Yea that's the ticket.......

Grill him the next time you see him. Not nice to take credit for something you didn't do....

9. 296ardun

296ardun

Wasn't Gary badly hurt testing an experimental Vega panel funny car, 4-wheel drive, made cover of HRM? I recall that he was testing when the track (OCIR) was otherwise closed, and there was no ambulance there, so delayed him getting emergency care...anyone else remember this, or am I wrong?

10. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

A little more info: Gary was from LONG BEACH and was a hot rodder before racer he was a Member of the Cavaliers CC, he also did some work with the Apollo space missions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  11. atch

atch

last time i was at the S&I museum Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America was there (10 - 20 years ago). perhaps could have been confused. both are tricycles with tail fins. or at least tricycle-like.

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I knew you would chime in here with some more info and pictures.

B:)B

13. Your right, The Spirit of America is, or at least was in Chicago musiem of science and industry.

14. Found them on my Phone camera!!!:)

Attached Files:

15. dragster

dragster

Gary did died as you stated

16. That settles it for me. Cole's dad (RIP) built the car, which is still my all-time favorite Funny Car. I saw the recreation (?) at Bakersfield last October and I ran the batteries down in my camera taking pictures of it. The car is badass.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Gary and I went to high school together and remained friends until his untimely death. This thread could be called "mythbusters" for all the mis information it has. Gary was killed riding his motorcycle in San Pedro. He crashed his 4wd funny car at OCIR and suffered many injuries, including severing of his arm. His arm was reattached and when I went to see him in the hospital, shortly after after the accident, he was already starting to exercise his fingers. He was also friends with my Dad and worked with him a North American Rockwell. My daughter is friends with his widow, Rae and she is still active with Drag Racing and assists in the Bixby Knolls carshow held in July. Gary was a great guy and one of a kind, I still miss him.

18. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

i met gary gabelich in 1978 while i was sitting in the redhead streamliner, getting ready for my down-record run.

19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

A Blue Flame goin' "247"????:rolleyes:

That's what I love about this place, what started as a possible B.S. session turned into another great informative thread.

Scotty

20. Here's the aftermath of the shitbox that damn near killed him at OCIR,,,,we knew Gabelich for awhile when my dad was still racing at Lions...lets just say my mom enjoyed talking with him ;)
    Troy Cagle

21. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

here are some pic's that my dad took of gary @ marine stadium 1969-1970
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. THe actual Blue Flame Bonneville car is sitting front and centre in the Sinsheim Technical Museum in Sinsheim Germany. This Museum is unbelievable. There is a Hotel for the museum visitors just off site. You go by train from Heidelburg.The museum also has many cars, a Funny car, a few Dragsters and even an Austin Mini gasser. Not to mention cars of all makes representing everything since Gotlieb Daimer put an internal combustion engine on his wooden motorcycle. Many displays are interactive. I caught my wife playing with a big German Tank. Reving the motor, running the tracks and swinging the gun terret while a group of old Germans stood on watching. One ol lad came up to me and nudged me with his arm. "Gutes frau" he said with a big smile (Good Woman!) At least a Day is needed here but probably 2 would be better. Anyway The Blue Flame is right in the centre of the main room. I have a photo if anyone would like to see it.
    Don

23. rooman

rooman

What you probably saw there was Craig Breedlove's 3 wheel jet powered LSR car--the one that started the revolution as it were.

Roo

24. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Well yea, post it up!!

25. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

Here is a good film about the Blue Flame

Here is some great old film footage that appears to show the progress of the entire Blue Flame project. It starts with testing at drag strips using an early jet car chassis and eventually leading to the record attempt at Bonneville.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

But first he managed to tear himself up REAL good in a 4WD(!!) Vega funny car. You could kinda figure that probably wouldn't end well...Oops, i see I been beaten to the punch again...

27. As you wish.This museum is beyond North American understanding. It is exceptional.
    Don

Attached Files:

28. I think Pete is still wearing the same eye glasses he wore when they set the record!!!

Thanks for the videos!

29. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

It's 'possible' the old guy drove the Blue Flame during some sort of test run ....if he only went 247 maybe he was a crew member who was sorting out some details. Do I think it's BS? Yes, but just because he wasn't Gary Gabelich doesn't mean for sure he's lying.