Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "the blue flame" bonneville car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Oct 15, 2008.

1. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

talkin with an old fellow last night who claims he drove "THE BLUE FLAME"
    jet car, wasnt sure of the year or even the era but he did remember going 247 mph in it. He said it was jet powered that ran on natural gas? Any pics or history on the car would be cool. thanks, lance

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

3. The Blue Flame, driven by Gary Gabelich, was propelled by a Liquid Natural Gas rocket engine which reached an average speed of 622.407 mph (998.341 km/h) on October 23, 1970:

[​IMG]

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

5. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

247mph....622mph.... If I didn't have a speedo in front of me I wouldn't be able to tell either.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And later in life, if i'm not mistaken, Gary was killed in a motorcycle accident in the San Pedro area. (?)-------------Don

7. 5window

5window

Apparently the car wasn't the only thing shooting hot gases out the rear end. The referred article says he died in a car accident in 1984.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I remember being a 4th grader and looking up "world's fastest car" in an old copy of the Guiness Book of World Records - and seeing THAT. Still cool as hell to me!

9. FADED ... IMHO, non-wheel driven LSR cars are kinda O/T for the H.A.M.B. ... that stated, the Blue Flame is a significant part of Dry Lakes Racing history ... so here's a few more pics culled from the internet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the 2007 Goodwood Festival Of Speed:
    [​IMG]

10. The car itself is in a museum in Germany, not so far from me. Couldn´t believe my eyes when I saw it there.

11. Sadly, near the end, Ronald Reagan didn't remember being president...but it sounds like b.s. to me

12. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

yeah yeah, wutever, the old guy was cool to talk to, and i knew i could go to my brother hambers for info, so thanks for the info. Next time i go in there i will grill him for more info

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. And somehow I ended up with an autographed B&W promotional photo of the car around the same time. My Dad gave it to me – it's long gone now though.

14. Tantara

Tantara
    from Minnesota

I stood in line with my Dad to see the Blue Flame at the Minnesota state fair in the seventies. Dad sure was patient. I am sure he wasn't interested but I still remember how cool that car was.

Brad

15. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

My dad and Gary were friends dad was a photographer at lion,orange co. and irwindale... when I first meet him ( I was Just a kid) he was driving the beach city Chev. corvette funny car until it burnt to the ground Gary got class in his eyes from his goggles breaking from the heat. he also drove drag boats and of course the blue flame I believe he was killed on the traffic circle in long beach on his harley davidson. his mom Had premonition's about him dying in an accident... he was a great guy as a kid I remember his helmet with those purple feathers sticking out of it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I met a guy at a carousel convention. It was boring as hell, but I was talking this guy at dinner and he said he built cars..... " What kind of cars? "
    " Ever hear of the Blue Flame? "
    "Hell yes!" I was talking to one of the builders.. a guy named Farnsworth

17. alsancle

alsancle

As a kid growing up in the 70s I had the picture of the Blue Flame from the Guinness's book of world records. I built a "gig" that was a pretty good likeness (for a 10 year old). I painted it blue and called it the "Blue Flame", of course. I don't think I ever lost a race with that one.

18. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i think i saw that car in the Museum of Science and industry in Chicago once? i was really little, i could be wrong

19. Frank

Frank

I guess my question would be, maybe this old man drove it another time, not necessarily the record breaking run that was recorded. Who knows. Might not even be the same car he was talking about.

20. roddinron

roddinron

21. surfn37

surfn37
    from California

I met Gary a few times, He did get into a Motorcycle accident, but he spent a few days in the hospital but was ok.. he later died in a car accident..
    I have lots of pictures of the Blue Flame in storage..

22. Ramblur

Ramblur

I sure remember it from when I was a kid. The name came back up when
    we were building my kids Jr. dragster. Either that or my kid and his buddies
    got caught trying to light farts.:eek: I'll never tell...

[​IMG]

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

24. Wow, that was an awesome read all the way to the end. Gabelich was one of my heroes as a kid. THANKS Kurtis.

25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I met Gary at OCIR the night he almost died. He was driving the Beach Cities Corvette Funnycar. Pat Foster built and drove the car originally. The car exploded about mid track right where I was standing. The car kept going and turned left at the end of the track. I saw the fire ball go through the field, up the embankment and onto the freeway. Only saw an orange glow until I got up the top of the enbankment. Gary was out of the car and was really shook up. The car burned to the ground on the freeway. The funny part was he got a ticket. No shit there are pictures of him getting a ticket from a motorcycle cop for littering the freeway and driving an unregsitered motor vehicle. It was in more than one of the magazines. The CHP later dropped the charges after it became an embarrassing situation. Like he had any control over where the car was going. He couldn't see a thing. Also published were pictures of the tracks the car made when it went off the track. They went right between the two three foot poles that held the OCIR sign that you saw from the freeway. If he had hit one of those poles at the speed he was going he wouldn't have raced again.

26. racemad55

racemad55

I don't care who you are that's funny stuff right there,Larry the cable guy

27. I had a poster out of HRM on my wall as a kid.

28. When I was in second grade back in the mid-'70s, I used to check out a book with land speed racers in it...all the time. I kept checking out the same book just to look at The Blue Flame and Spirit Of America. I wish I could find that book.

Twenty years later, I was a soldier serving in Germany. A German friend told me about a "blue rekord car" in a museum. Hmmmm...Europe. "Is it a Malcolm Campbell Bluebird?" "Yes". Imagine my surprise when I saw that rocket.

29. carsnbikes

carsnbikes

Could it have been a Blue Flame Chevy