Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel torres, Mar 27, 2009.

1. joel torres

joel torres

got half way thru and ran out of welding wire doh!!!
    [​IMG]

placed it back on the car look how much clearance i got now woo hoo
    the hooks are for the headlight harness
    [​IMG]

since i tilted the factory radiator the two bottom holes dont line up, no problom add a little metal and get the holes back in order
    [​IMG]

passenger side allready done
    [​IMG]

2. csclassics

csclassics

Nice work Joel!!!

3. joel torres

joel torres

thanks i fix it yesterday and got new knobs i owe you a hotdog :D

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

fuck it! cant see pics anymore.....damn internet filters, i really wanna see where you at w/ this.

5. joel torres

joel torres

6. n847

n847

Nice work Joel thats good thinking I like the stock look it will give it I bet you will be supprised howmany people aren't even gonna know how much work you did to put that body on that frame! Some of my inner fender wells are a little rotted so I'm gonna have to fab up some new ones down the road! Keep up the good work!

7. joel torres

joel torres

took the nose off after a long day at work
    i have some fabricationa and fixing to do in the area where the fenders touch the firewall once thats done i have to drill out the studs that broke when i orig removed the nose thennnnnnnnn some very minor knick knacks to fix theennnnnnnnnnnnnn maybe some body patching and body work

8. joel torres

joel torres

feel like i hit a brick wall i have to patch some areas and no matter what i just stare at it like duh!!!!!! but other spots like the fender i can see myself doing im officially stuck :cry:

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone once posted on my thread, "The hardest part is getting started." I think that's true. There have been problem areas that I dreaded and studied and procrastinated on. However, once I got started, it was not nearly as difficult as I had feared it to be.

Dive in, Joel!

10. cripes Joel, after keeping an eye on this whole thread and seeing what you can and have done, just put your head down and go. There is no doubt you can do it.

11. n847

n847

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets like that. But everybodys right getting started is the hardest part! Just picture how sweet it will be when your rollin around town in it! If you need a little motivation just go back and look at some the the work you have already posted on the build and realize how close you are now.

12. bobjob55

bobjob55

get it up and drivable ,,,,, up and down the street ,,, a trip to a SMALL carshow ,,,, and you will be revved up and ready to finish it up ...

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Suck it up, Bro. Just go outside and start working without even thinking about it.

14. joel torres

joel torres

i have been studying koolkemps pic's and slowly working up the thoughts i think i need a metal break if im going to start patching i already scored a flanging tool which gives me an edge to work with
    in koolkemps pics you can see how he does one small spot at a time i have to THINK that way and not how can i make this huge fitted patch once i break out of this mind set i think i can do it you guys are building up my confidence its hard cause i haven't been doing much for a while and to think this whole project started because i needed to patch the body and now im almost there and still stuck :)

15. n847

n847

yeah right man...you got nothing to worry about! Just give err hell!

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do a lot with a vise, two C-clamps and two pieces of angle iron, if you think about it. Think about it.

17. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I got a pretty cheap brake at Harbor Freight. It is 18" and works fine for small patches. Pretty cheap too.

18. joel torres

joel torres

thats what i just borrowed i know i could make one if i wanted to copy it now to get to work

19. joel torres

joel torres

had a couple of hours to myself today so i made this quick patch this will never be seen as its behind the fender im happy with the cowl patch but not happy with the part that extends downward i truly wanted to pour gas on the car and torch it :D did i mention i don't think i like patching
    its so frustrating seeing the patch in your head but not having the skills to produce it but i should get better next time hey there is always the other side :mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. joel torres

joel torres

repaired another section then a huge long horned beetle landed on my shoulder and asked what i was doing:eek: so i kinda called it for the night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  21. joel torres

joel torres

did another patch i even formed it to match the body shape this was fun but i have come to terms that i will never get a smooth surface after welding the patches on i not that skilled yet so i guess i will have to skim coat it with filler but i will talk with my friend whos a body man first maybe i could do some lead:cool:
    patched part of the firewall
    [​IMG]
    really bad area i decided to cut out the bad part and make a new skin thanks to kool kemps photos i had the balls to try it
    [​IMG]
    front view
    [​IMG]
    template to size it up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this guy landed on my shoulder while i was welding i kindly put him down and called it a night:eek: he is as big as my thumb the picture doesn't show it
    [​IMG]
    the section i cut out
    [​IMG]
    the new section i made
    [​IMG]
    marking the areas with the greese pen to flange and trim
    [​IMG]
    not the prettiest but it will do for now
    [​IMG]

22. n847

n847

Nice work man I was just looking at my trunk and rear body mounts and cringing yesterday! I'm hopping to get some body work started by the end of the summer...by that point I'll be watching your thread for motivation on my patch panels

23. bobjob55

bobjob55

what kind of welder are you using ??
    that rust in the door ,, might be a little tricky ..

24. joel torres

joel torres

lincoln weld pack 100 and im replacing the doors with more solid ones
    the doors on the car are to far gone even the inside structure is rotten the donor car was better condition

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  25. joel torres

joel torres

after purchasing these about 9 years ago i finally put them on for the first time just to see how it would look with chrome bumpers and guards can't wait to re-chrome them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Hi Joel - The patches look great and that front bumper guard is a real score. That is exactly the guard that was used back in the day on these cars. There was also a version for the rear that did not come up as high so that you could still open the trunk. Anyway, nice work as always and I hope you are enoying the summer some. John

27. joel torres

joel torres

now that you mention it the front guard has to sets of holes you could mount it lower it must be the same now i want to get one for the back lol it is a simple pipe with two 90 degree bends at the corners and a 30 degree (im guessing ) in the middle we could probably make this with a hydraulic bender

28. n847

n847

Harbour Freight is our friend!

29. joel torres

joel torres

i got the rocker skins bent up im now in this heat with a fan blowing on me trying to transfer my templates onto the new rocker and trim to fit :)
    pictures coming soon