Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it wrong to make profit from a friend??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, May 18, 2011.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

I can understand some of this original posters question.
    In the past I have had some good and bad experiences.
    I had a decent old running 67 chevy pu with only 76K miles. I sold it to my friend. He didn't pay me for several months, drove it around. He calls me says he has the money and needs the title. He had it sold for $500 more and rode me for it. Pissed me off. I know to watch if he's low balling me for something he wants cause he has it resold already

Another guy in town who was taken advantage of had a 454 that he traded for something that was junk, can't remember the details. I had a suburban I parted that had a 454 with a rod knocking. I gave him the motor knowing he might or might not build it. I don't think he did think he sold it but it was his to do with.

Another friend of mine has inherited some cars. I told him he didn't need to pay me for helping him get rid of them. They are insisting. I said I'd like a few parts. Their own family member was going to charge them 25%. WTH? There might be a car I am interested in so I'll get it, parts and some gas money and we'll all be happy

Just sold a car I got a few parts from to another guy and I making a little coin he seems to want to build it. I could've sold it for more but I don't care if he sells it and makes a profit.
    Its all about the intentions

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

This. If you guys agreed on a price you were both happy with, and you sell it to someone else at a price you are both happy with, it's a win-win.

3. Sell it,figure out what you have in it and split the profit with your buddy.

4. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

Dont ya just love the guys who post here that cant make up their own mind. "Oh help help I need a fellow hamber to make up my mind!"

5. 1320/150

1320/150

^^^ I dont see anything wrong. He is asking for advice. I thought that is what we did here? If you don't like it, don't bump it to the top.

6. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

sounds like hes a better friend than you are.obviously he knows your a car guy so he looked out for you.don't take advantage of his lack of knowledge of the cars value.karma has a way of coming back to you.sounds like you bought it to make a profit.why not fix it up offer it back for the money you put in it.make him a car guy

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Now I remember why I've been on hamb hiatus. I just spent 30 mins reading replies instead of working on my damn car! I get sucked in. I know, nobody helv a gun to my head and made me read it. :)

People are *really* funny about money. After I did a longtime friend a favor and he didn't repay the debt for years, we're no longer friends. I re-evaluated our ffriendship without the rose tinted glasses and realized with friends like this, who needs enemies.

I *hate* buying/selling from friends. I think it can easily cause hard feelings that may or may not be acknowledged.

I've bought stuff for asking price from a pal, I don't dicker. I also paid top dollar, but I didn't lose a friend in the process and it was how I repaid him for help he'd given to me.

I don't want any bargains from friends. I don't want them to feel chiseled, and I don't want to feel obliged to them.

Ivd bought and sold cars from friends. Never again. Too many emotions get worked up over this stuff.

Good friends are *really* hard to find. I've found most like to take more than they give.

In the OP my question is why didn't you help him put on a starter? That's what friends/car guys do, IMHO. Seriously, when I ask myself what would my creator have me do? And pray for guidance or wisdom, then the answer is usually clear.
    For the record I often fall short of the mark, I'm no saint.

Good luck and keep us posted with progress reports! I, like some others, am kinda shocked that car could get that much fixed up. Markets are local though and its supply and demand. The kids today don't care as much about 4dr vs 2dr as we did.

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Johnny has a point, but we have not seen a series of PHOTOS of this fab car yet. Leaves us arguing about an unknown quantity, I honesty believe. Also, I'd like to ask the poster if he knew the (supposed) market value of the Chrysler when he made the offer. That, IMO, would be a PERSONAL and MORAL issue. Only he can speak to that.

9. There are guys in our area that have similar attitudes as some of the sellfish opinions I have read on here and when the word gets out most times they get the door shut in their face when they come to buy a car. These same people in our area will hit a guy when he is down, squeezing the guy when he is in dire straights then returning to tell him how much he made off the deal. Low blows, bad business, no integrity, zeros in life, worms. As for Hambers I have made friends with, there are some true Men on here guys who have given me parts and asked for nothing except to pass it on. a salute to the Good guys, let us not forget that helping is one of the greatest rewards.:cool:

10. As long as you don`t have to sneak up on the mirror in the morning to look yourself in the face, you should be okay. I really doubt your gonna make the kind of money that you think you will. With all the time your gonna put into this heap,you`ll only make pennies on the dollar like every one else.If you are in doubt and this person is a real friend, go talk to him and tell him your concerns.Telling the truth is much easier to remember. So ends the lesson on morality, please return to our regularly scheduled HAMB .

11. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Unless that friend specifies their conditions you buy it at the price agreed and sell it for the price you want.. friend or not a mans agreement is between them... It is his decision to come up with a price.. as a buyer we all try to get it for as less as we can.. its a business deal not a friend deal.. when money exchanges hands thats it.. now if you loose money will your friend reimburse you? probally not..deals are deals

12. If yer friends fix the turd and sell it - split profit and be less doushey

Poverty leaves an impression

13. rustymetal

rustymetal

you are all winners then , no come back.
    best yet mazooma

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by [U
    rustynewyorker[/U];6570487]Lot of people still suffering the effects of the brainwashing the educational system doles out, apparently. Profit is bad, spreading the wealth is good. Which is bullshit.

How about this? Once I own it, what I do with it is none of your damn business, if I can't use it and I sell it for good money, so what? If that makes me a prick, it makes you an even bigger prick. I mean do you also go to the grocery store, the discount store, the auto parts store and bitch at them because they didn't sell you something for the same price they paid the wholesaler for it? Try it and see how long before they throw you out on your ass. Without profit, they go out of business. Without profit, I don't progress on my car, hell maybe I don't eat this week. WTF -

Some of this stuff is right up there with the assholes who email me and bitch about the price on something and tell me I'm trying to rip someone off, even though I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything and every price is an asking price.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Sorry, but in my state, you make a deal with a man, and a handshake is a legal contract.:cool: I am with Storm King and RustyNewYorker. I don't want to start World War III, but I get tired of guys griping about how much an old junk man wants for a '30s/'40s car, THEN gripe when they see a car sitting outside rusting away -- AND say things like, "I'd like to punch these people in the the throat" (actual quote).

Now, somebody got a Chrysler (probably) for a song, sold it to another HAMBer who got a guilt trip? Did you have a deal or didn't you? Did you "weedle" the Chrysler out from under him, or was it in his way, not fitting his (or the wife's) plans and wishes?

I'm sorry, but we can't have a perfect world. I guess that's why a handshake means a bargain where I live. If somebody came back on me, I'd say, fine. YOU pay the title-transfer costs, plus my time and materials in starting to fix the car, and YOU come with a trailer and load the car up. "Friendship" isn't even the question in this matter. But when friends make a bargain. Friends STICK by their word, just as in ANY business deal. I wouldn't be "friends" with a reneging double-dealer anyway.

Now, the whole thread has been hypothetical, IMO. And we STILL haven't seen any photos of this lovely Chrysler. Somebody convince me I am wrong. Where are the photos?

15. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

fix it sell it and split the profits. good friends are more important

16. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

ahh man up and do the right thing ,after u sell the car take his wife out to dinner.

17. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

bahahaaa!!!!!! Had to read it twice cuz i thought i had read it wrong!

18. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

being a welder by trade i have done untold amounts of welding for friends both old and new. my policy is if a friend asks me to weld something for them and it is for them only the policy is if i have everything on hand it is free or there is a small trade like lunch or something to drink in the shop. now if i do something for a friend and i am lead to believe it is for them and i find out they turned around and sell it to someone else with the other person lead to believe my friend did the project for them, let me tell you the shit hits the fan i had someone do that to me and not only was he removed from my xmas card list but i personally put the word out what a shit head he is and what he did...........

19. find buy drive fix keep sell
    gosh its not like your selling his wifes favors on the side
    its property once bought sold the ties are severed

buy it flip it keep it don't buy it regret the loss

a friend sold me his wifes77 lebaron that he spent lots of $ to keep running but was not successful so for 50 bucks he limped it to my house ..i paid him
    i took a wrench removed a dist. out of a running car in my yard ...swapped em without having to swap the cap .. turned the key ran like a champ drove him home in it with the cold a/c on almost full tank of gas..he was happy i was not stuck with a lemon...
    gosh later that month my wife at the time even left it running for a 12 hour work shift one rainy day ....when she forgot it was running while getting a load of work stuff out of the trunk did not run as good after that but a year later sold to a guy doing demo derby $1500.

20. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Making a profit off your buddy is dead wrong. IF your a REAL friend, explain to him that he's cutting his throat and help him sell it for what its worth. Don't be a douche... cars and money fail in compairison to friendship.

21. S.F.

S.F.

no its not...its called capitolism. A little thing known as America was built on thatconcept. If you make money off me, Im glad for you because I made up the price, and it was my decision to sell it. After it leaves my ownership, do whatever you want with it. If you think that making money off cars or parts is wrong, then you are not my friend. Something Ive started to do a while ago is tell buddies that Im buying it to make a profit before I give them money. Then let them decide if they still want to sell it to me. If they are a TRUE friend I will tell them its real value before buying it for less, and see if they want to sell it to me for its real value or the original price that they came up with.

but...
    If I am using it for my car, I will try to get it for as cheeply as possible no matter who owns it. And if Im selling a part to a TRUE friend who is going to use it for his car, I will sometimes just give it to them and tell them to give it back if they sell the car.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  22. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

A really good friend of my dads years ago gave me a OT car that he didn't want anymore. I drove it for a while, got a nicer car and sold the car I got for free. I ordered the guy a set of axle shafts for his jeep he really wanted and took them over to his house once I got them. He was amazed I got enough out of the car for the axles! I told him I kept a little for myself and all was good. He is the kind of guy that wouldn't have cared if I did sell it and not give him anything. But I figured he did me a favor, and all I was doing was repaying that favor. The $400 I spent on the shafts were worth every penny of the grin on his face.

Something to think about...

23. "is it wrong to profit from a friend"??

Actually yes, in the eyes of the law at least ... look up the word "pimp".

24. SixFive

SixFive

Seeing as this is still going...

You are not making a profit off your friend, you are making it of the next guy you sell it to.

And you say you are considering selling it after you have fixed a few things on it and improved it. Is this friend going to chip in for parts?

It's not like you bought it for $800 and are selling it for huge profit the next day. You are just hoping to get a return on your investment of the work that you will be doing to it.

A lot of people say you should split the money if you make a profit, but if you can't is the friend expected to then cover half of the loss??? Didn't think so.

25. how much are you investing ,the supremes,flake paint etc,etc ???