Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Plym build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking good! Wet sanding sucks. It sucks more without the appropriate music and drinking!

2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

that it does my friend, that it does. although we are both non-drinkers....i feel wet sanding drives us to drink hahaha. we have a good radio in the garage so thats a plus.

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Good Morning fellow HAMBers-

I'm coming back to update this thread this morning because we are ALMOST DONE! The car should be ready for the road by this weekend!

We worked all weekend (except for a small family cookout last night) on the car trying to get her there. All pannels are back on, door handles are now on, hood trim, headlights, tail-lights, etc. We are going to have the grill back on tonight and we shall start putting more trim back on tonight also. Coker is sending out her new sneakers today. Putting the rear window trim back on has turned into a fiasco. it's being a total PITA because the window rubber is no longer pliable like it once was. In general; putting trim back on the car is frustrating and nerve-wracking.

anyways. here are some photos of BETTY!!! How exciting!

253849_224619744215012_100000009648694_953380_5428009_n.jpg

image[1]9.jpg

image[1]6.jpg

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

YAY!!! Looking good!
    Maybe soak that rubber in really hot water to soften it up

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

good idea on the hot water. we trie silicone to help it slip on but it wouldn't budge.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, not just hot but really hot. And let it sit in there awhile to really soften up good.

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

will do! thanks!

8. skoh73

skoh73

Looks great! Good job!

9. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

You picked the best suitable color for that car. It looks classy, real nice!

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thank you very much. Who would've thought that the original color would get so much attention? It looks like a dark navy blue in the shade and in the sun it changes to a lighter "seal blue". its pretty neat.

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here is one more crappy cell phone pic from 11:30pm last night.We busted ass on it last night. I finished polishing all the trim (Im so glad i'm done with that :) ). The grill and all the lights are back on it and are in working order. Hood trim is on. Door handles, door locks, trunk lid trim, and we re-assembled the visor and put that back on the car. It's all coming together now. We're hoping the new sneakers arrive tomorrow. We need to finish putting the trim back on (we're on the hunt for all the trim clips we mis-placed somewhere in the garage:mad:. I insisted we bag everything and label it but that only went so far...we know how men work ;):D.

The interior is back together and once again smelling like mouse piss (I cant wait to re-do the interior next winter). We still need to sandblast the wheels and decide on a color for the wheels. we are thinking black? maybe? For now they are going to stay as-is and we'll just run the hubcaps until we decide what we want to do with the wheels. We have 3 inch lower blocks to install in the rear too. We're just hoping that 3 inches isn't too much. we dont want her dragging ass on the ground. haha.

There is a small car show at Columbia Ford, up the road from us, tonight. If it isn't raining maybe we'll bring Betty to her first show this year....unfinished. I just hope we get good reactions from people.

its very rewarding to see people like the car and itsvery rewarding to see it all come together. If we get the tires and all the kinx worked out; she's going for a drive back to the guy we bought her from. I only wish her original owner was still around :(

anyways heres the cell phone pic of her in the streetlights

0531112259[1].JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  12. csimonds

csimonds

Lookin Good! Maybe I should get off my ass and get the Buick done like ASAP lol
    Chuck

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

yes siree! Cars II is goingto be opening up at the drive in in Mansfield at the end of June. We need to get a bunch of oldies to go and see it! We'd make those little kid's nights!

14. csimonds

csimonds

LOL i am ashamed to say I have never seen Cars I, oh well we were just talking about hitting the drive-In this summer, Alright already I get outside and start working on the car after work Jeez LOL
    Chuck

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

ahhh Cars is the best. We didnt get to go t the drive-in last summer so we're going to make it a point to at least go for Cars this time around.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Hey farmergal, in July, just up the road from you in St, Johnsbury Vt the Walter P Chrysler Club is having its summer meet. Several of us from the P15 D24 forum are planning to attend. July 13-16. Touring and show and probably a swap meet for MOPAR stuff. Might be a target if you can get away and are satisfied with the dependability. We will be travelling through the Albany NY area probably on the 12th.

http://www.chryslerclub.org/PDF files/2011_National_Meet_Info.pdf

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thanks for the heads-up Plym 46! that sounds like a great time and Vermont is sucha beautiful place to cruise around. Unfortunately I'm bringing a bunch of dairy cattle to a show that weekend for a local farm so we won't be able to go this time around. maybe next year! Thanks again everyone. You're satisfaction with the car is a breath of fresh air :)

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

We've been busting our knuckles all weekend and I'm happy to say that Betty will be back on the road as of this evening. Bittersweet :)

20. oldodge

oldodge

Great! Real happy for you. Been following along and really like what you have done.

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thank you :)

She is all back together with the exception of lowering blocks and some small things here and there. she looks great and we're really excited. First show will be Middletown Main Street Cruise on the 15th.

We've decided that she needs a nice new set of bumpers (the chrome is flaking off on the ones we have). Anyone know what will look nice?

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Say hi to my brother Ian at the 100%Kulture booth (if they are there, just had a kid).

The bumpers on that are about the nicest design I've seen. I'd look for better ones, or re-chrome.

23. skoh73

skoh73

If you can't afford to re-chrome (that stuff is expensive!), maybe painting a cool metallic silver would work. I have seen a couple of cars done this way lately, and I have to say that it is the next best thing in my opinion. Or you could paint the bumpers the body color. Either way, do what YOU want to do.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks. The boyfriend thinks the bumpers are too big and take away from the look and front-end appearance of the car. I think he's nuts :) :) . the rear bumper is pretty rough looking. the front bumper isn't so bad.

We talked to one person about re-chrome and i think my head almost hit the floor at the pricetag! whew!

For now i think we're just going to run it and save our pennies for a new interior next winter and possibly a re-chrome on the bumpers. I think this car will probably always remain a slight work in progress for awhile.

On a lighter note we took her ut for a 2 hour drive this evening. felt great!

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

How about a pic of the old girl in all her glory?

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i was so busy just enjoying the car yesterday I didn't get any super nice photos. We still need to finish buffing out the passenger side door (looks like crap in the sun) and we're going to throw in the blocks this week. As the avid photographer that i am; i'm so tempted to set her up somewhere nice to get some nice shots, but i'm going to refrain until she's done.

My dad saw her for the first time last night and he was beyond impressed. My dad has high standards when it comes to fixing up a car and doing things the way they should be done. He literally stood in the driveway for 20 minutes last night just staring at it. Everyone who knows us, knew what the car used to look like, and no one believes us that its the same car.

I do have 2 crappy cell pics from inside the car and while sitting in the driveway. Ill upload them right now so you can see. By the end of the week I'll get some pro shots so you can get a feel for how proud we are.

I have this overwhelming urge to post signs on the car that read "yes, the two of us did ALL, and i mean ALL, of the work on this car"

On a more angry note we took her to dinner on the drive home and parked her far away from everyone else. Apparently while we were eating, someone helped themselves to the front seat of the car...and proceeded to leave the passenger door open after doing so. some people just erk me :/

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here she is in all her glory...and her new Coker Classics. For some reason my computer uploads pics small in my post but if you click on them they become much larger :)

bettydrive.JPG

bettydrive2.jpg

bettydrive3.jpg

28. csimonds

csimonds

CONGRATS!!! I have a bumper for a 50 Dodge Coronet, if you want it, it is yours! Needs to be cleaned up, but no rust thru on it. I just painted some bits and pieces this weekend with the chrome paint and it came out good, I will post a pic for you.
    Talk to you soon,
    Chuck

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thanks! yea we'd love to see what the chrome paint looks like. It might save us a lot of money and you can touch it up whenever we want! Seems like a good option! we might take you up on that bumper!

30. csimonds

csimonds

Here is the chrome paint, It looks much better if you body hit it with a nice filler primer, sand it, fill and issues with spot putty, sand, primer, sand, shoot it lol. Sounds like a lot but it doesn't take long. I am thinking hitting the teeth with clear might make it look and last longer.
    Chuck

Attached Files: