Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 f100 short bed custom cab w/big window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 23, 2011.

1. Bloodyknucklehill, thanks alot! I will shoot you a pm.

2. Well I cant afford the rams horns right now so I dont need the big heat shieds. So I am going to stick with the stock single exhaust for now. I had purchased 4 of these shields a while back and just wondered if I should use them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Hey thanks jonathan. By the way my name is jonathan and we have similar trucks. Haha I couldnt resist.

5. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ha! Cool, I dig it.

6. So how far along is your truck? Do you have any pics?

7. papaford60

papaford60
    from illinois

nice start, if it's the 223 keep it, I put a 289, then a 351c wish I had the 223 back, can't afford to drive it check this out
    [email protected]

8. Its actually a 292 y block. My old 58 had a 223 and I miss that damn truck haha. I joined the facebook f100 group yesterday.

9. Thanks a bunch mctim!!! I would switch out the crossover but I just cant afford the rams horns or tube headers. Money is super tight.

10. WOW, my name is Jonathan to and I have a 59!!

11. That is too funny! How is the truck coming along?

12. My thoughts exactly. and it's at a halt right now.

13. Yeah I hear ya, I have put my fairlane on hold to build this truck so I can drive it to save gas. My llifted f250 is burning too much gas.

14. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I guess that means we have enough people to start our own social club. How cute. :D

I bought mine without an engine/trans in Oct. 08. Hopefully will have it on the road before the three year mark! I somehow seem to get motivated to work on it in the summer, which is no fun here in Phoenix. . . oh well.

Here is a current picture.

[​IMG]

15. Haha social club. Hey the truck looks pretty solid

16. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

It's got some rust in the usual lower areas and it was definitely used as a truck. At one point it was used for a tow pig/push truck for a sprint car team. I'm trying to get the owner's son to dig out some pictures from it's heyday to share.

17. Yeah it would be cool to see some of the pics

18. Well I have been collecting all the parts for this truck so I should be working on it vert soon. Im not sure if I want ti pull the motor and trans so I can clean,assemble and paint everything.

19. So should I just pull the motor and trans so that I can do all the gaskets and paint everything? The motor ran and seemed to have enough power. Just smoked alittle it was black smoke and smelled like pure gad. So i had the carb rebuilt. Also does anyone else have any pics of y blocks? Im still trying to decideon paint combos and dress up.

20. If you can do a thread search there was a pretty long thread called "Y blocks in hot rods" that had some sweet lookers in it.. (BTW i am still working on the shipping quote and I'll have it for you soon.. I sent you a PM about the parts)

21. And did the carb work stop the smoking? If not try the PCV valve..

22. Wel I found out the motor had no way to breathe and the carb was soo messed up. So after putting all new gaskets, carb and pcv system on it should run awesome!

You had just the valve covers right?

23. No I've got more parts than that.. I have about enough factory engine parts to build 3 Y's, then a stash of stuff I'm saving to build a decent Y block for my 59, plus a 58 parts truck.. Needless to say my shop is full :)

24. Well what are we waiting for? Lets make a deal!! Haha

25. Well I ended up painting the intake with the cast iron color paint. Came out really good. I still cant decide on a color for the vlock,heads,valley pan and valve covers.
    [​IMG]

26. mj40's

mj40's

I feel the same and it seems it takes days before any new posts.

27. Yeah tell me about it

28. Well I through in the towel last night alittle after 12:00 am. I pulled the radiator,fan and what not out so I can pull the motor and get to work. Like I said in previous posts my truck has the stock single exhaust with crossover pipe with the heat riser on the passenger side. The heat rise has been closed and I dont think its been working. I was told just to cut the flap out of the middle. I was wondering if anyone makes a spacer I can throw in there instead of using the heat riser? Just until I can get the rams horns.

29. Well i ended up having a neighber at work make me a spacer out of plate. So now i will use that till I get my rams horns. Still thinking about pulling the motor and trans so that I can completely clean,paint and new gaskets on everything. What do you guys suggest as for what to use to clean and paint the motor and trans with?