Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans install gone wrong??? help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onetruth1130, Jun 4, 2011.

1. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

ok so i installed a saginaw on my 1950 chevy pickup with a 235. managed to get it in and bolted down, buuuut now the clutch fork has waay too much movement, like its free floating in the pivot ball. there is zero pressure on the pressure plate...nothing. when i press down the clutch pedal it stays on the floor. im in need of some serious help. im really hoping i dont have to take the trans back out since it wasnt too fun putting it in. but i hate not being able to drive my truck. please i need help!

2. rajcam79

rajcam79
    from S.E. MI

Did you follow Patrick's install tips?

3. squirrel

squirrel

there are two different heights of throwout bearing, each one fits a certain style of pressure plate. If you have a flat diaphram type clutch and the short bearing, it will act like you're experiencing. Sorry you gotta pull it out to fix it.

Or you could just have the linkage all messed up...

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Maybe he forgot the throwout bearing.

5. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

well, thing is, it originally had a saginaw and it blew. so i bought another saginaw so im using all the clutch parts that were there originally. so im not using any new parts, just all the existing parts. and i didnt follow patricks tips, dont know what that is! that fork is just jingling around. it was fine before takin the old trans out, so i def did something wrong.

6. F&J

F&J

Since you say the clutch, tob, and bell is the same as with the old saginaw......did you knock the fork off the ball clip? Does the fork have a lot of up/down movement?

7. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

yes it does. found the clip. but why would that affect pressure on the pressure plate?

8. F&J

F&J

I was trying to say that maybe the fork is not sitting on the pivot ball anymore..

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Is there any chance you could get a picture of the clutch from the bottom showing the throwout arm & trans input shaft??

10. budd

budd

i say the fork is not on the ball as has been said

11. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

sounds like clutch fork or possibly throw out bearing is backward?????if possible

12. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

the throw out bearing has the larger side toward the pressure plate, correct?

13. badshifter

badshifter

If you "found the clip" that's the problem. The clip is (was) riveted on to the fork. If it's no longer attached to the fork, the fork won't stay on the pivot ball.
    [​IMG]