Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Paul Cepeda's 1959 Chevrolet El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheFrenZ, Apr 29, 2010.

1. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

[​IMG]

2. Cymro

Cymro

THIS ONE'S GETTING TO ME!

How do you chop a car / truck with such a complex top??

I assume that the top must be cut or quartered, but what happens with the windshield glass, this must be one of the most complex shapes manufactured ever! If anybody here has pictures of the procedure I'm sure we would all like to view.

3. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

damn, I really liked this car/truck but now the chop looks too much.

on another note, anyone ever welded the tailgate closed and put on impala lights?

4. Cymro

Cymro

<TABLE id=post1653628 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>
    [​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_1653628 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Chopping a Bubble Top: Hypothosis
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yeah I think he mentioned all those windsheild attempts in his eBay auction. Notice the lack of wing windows.... i suspect this car does not have side-glass that rolls up, unless he has made a channel in the A pillar so it could come straight up. Something else to consider for anyone who has an El Camino or Wagon... since these and the Sedans all had a roof that was taller than the hard-top and convertibles, you could chop the car by whataver that amount is (inch or 2?) and use a stock hard-top windshield. This would be subtle, yet bichen! Plus now that the rear glass is reproduced for the '59-60 El Caminos, which is no doubt regular laminate glass, not tempered like original so you could cut it.

DS
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Dave Stromberger
    1959 El Camino - 1960 Impala
    www.60impala.com/blog

www.xframechevy.com
    <!-- / sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Could this be the answer I've been looking for ( or at least part of it)found on another thread.
    "Chopping a bubble top- hypothsis"

5. hemifarris

hemifarris

Every picture on this thread shows vent windows, with both chops. I don't see any without......So the chopped door glass would roll up as a stock unit would.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Ask and ye shall receive.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460531&highlight=severe+bondo+abuse

7. silverfalcon

silverfalcon
    from california

8. 65Riviera

65Riviera

9. Jay71

Jay71

Saw Paul recently n he showed me some pics of some changes he's made to it.... Hopefully it'll be ready for Santa Maria.

10. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Those people are all being attacked by giant caterpillars and they're just standing there!!! Help them!

Hi Tom, how are ya?!

11. lorodz

lorodz

wow that car is incredible...just love it

12. Kinda liked the first chop better.

Why the hell doesn't Detroit build cars like this now. I know I would be in line to buy one!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

I about cried when I heard it was re-chopped.... It was just so perfect before.

14. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I like it either way and can really appreciate the balls and talent it would take to chop that roof...but I think the first chop lends itself better to the overall proportions of the car. Oh well, too late now :) The '53 grill is a nice detail.

15. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Yeah i love it,here's mine

Attached Files:

Moriarity and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

sooooo coooool!

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Man, its hammered down good..i think its too much...love the trunk lid tho.

18. Retroline

Retroline

Have to agree, it was a nice as they come before, everything worked.

19. Toner283

Toner283

I'm not sure I like the new version personally. To me, it looks like an Impala with a short roof. I too liked it best with the first chop, it was a custom but fairly subtle other than the chop. Now, it has kind of lost the essence of what makes an Elcamino an Elcamino IMO.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yup on all counts, I appreciate the work but it's lost its essence.

21. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I had a friend who managed to pull it off with his 58 and then with his 60 impalas. It took two windshields but it was worth it. He didn't have to quarter the roof but the windshield had to be leaned back and then over two weeks he gently massaged the fit with air sanders and his glass sander. He then took the fitted windshield (the original) and laid out the trimming on the new glass. BIG KEY: TAKE LOTS OF TIME AND MAINTAIN YOUR COOL!!

22. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I think this is the same one.

Attached Files:

23. That's a really stupid question. Anyone with half a brain would take ANY free car.

It wouldn't keep some of us from wishing he had tossed us the keys before the latest tramsformation got underway though.

JH

24. low49

low49
    from 209and408

I just got of the phone with Paul Cepada and he said he would like to see what all you shit talkers are doing in your backyards. He is gonna have a NEW BIG Surprise for all of you next year. I personally saw the car in person this year and the pics do not do it justice, you need to see it in person. When you can do the crazy stuff with cars that Paul does at home in the comfort of his backyard, with no paint booth or fancy tools! All glass work and metal work all in his backyard. When you are able to do that.....then voice your opinion! Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's not shit talking, version one was the most perfect custom I've ever seen, version three has gone too far, just my opinion.
    He's an incredible builder I'm in awe of his skills.

26. hemifarris

hemifarris

I think you're taking this too personally. Every car posted on HAMB is looked at with everyone's own personal interpretation of the car. I agree with NADS and Toner283, it was nice the first time it was done. It has since morphed into something totally different style wise. Personally, I could care less whether he built in in a MEGA-SHOP, or in his back yard blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back. In MY opinion, read MY opinion, he's taken it waaay too far, although his metal working ability is outstanding. ...........Mike

27. hemifarris

hemifarris

By the way 'low49', your black convertible is beautiful! I'm partial to black cars.....Also, you know in your heart that you'd never ruin that beautiful black convertible with a haircut as drastic as Paul's El Camino currently has.....Mike

28. no55mad

no55mad

Here's a kudo for Paul - he put on an extension of the weekend show on Monday at the Nipomo Swap. He even went so far as to make some cool one of a kind unique trophies to give out for different classes.

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Just because I'd still take it doesn't mean it wasn't better before. Just saying. :cool:

30. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

Are you kidding me......