Register now to get rid of these ads!

63RATS free 63 Merc Meteor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63rat, May 8, 2011.

1. 63rat

63rat
    from warren Or

[​IMG][/url][/IMG][​IMG][/url][/IMG]We want to thank The monster and his family for the oppertunity to bring this car back to life. They are Great people! This is the first and hopefully not the last time that I have seen such a generous offer thrown out to the car community. This car will bring many hours of quality time spent out in the garage to our family. We will post pics as we move along with the project. Thanks also to every one that has commented and offered support for the build.

Up date: Today we got into the brakes. Removed the master cylinder, flexable lines, and drums. Making a shopping list of parts that we will need. Have all of the front bearings ready to clean, the drums ready to have re surfaced. Got to the rear, and found out why there has been a spot of gear lube on the floor. The passenger axle tube has been welded at the center section, and that is where the leak is. Thinking of just finding another complete rear end. Found a couple of possibilities on craigs list, just waiting to hear back.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Go getem' Tiger! Congrats. Cant wait to check this thread from time to time and see what's new.

3. Spooky

Spooky

Hot damn, Joe! Let me know what I can do to help!

4. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Bump from a night owl. Grats again to you, and a salute to Monster and everyone else that offered help/parts. I've seen this place and it's members work miracles, and if you have a minute, read the HambANDY threads to give you another perspective on how powerful this place is. Good luck on your progress!

5. 'Mo

'Mo

Very Cool! :cool:
    Good luck, and please, up-date often.

6. The_Monster

The_Monster

Let the fun begin! Keep us posted!

7. Good luck, and keep us informed!

8. sir_ely

sir_ely

Congrats and good luck! Can't wait to see the updates.

9. skoh73

skoh73

Subscribed!

10. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

HUGE congrats. Love it, live it, build it!

11. nali

nali

Also suscribed . Now , you know you have to make a great thing , uh ? :p

12. skoh73

skoh73

From the pics, it looks like a pretty clean car.

13. 54RAT

54RAT

The car is pretty clean. Only real cancer is just a bit on both front floorboards, and a couple of dings on the body. Awsome start, we can't wait to make progress. This will be a weekend thing, as 63RAT is in High School and keeping school as # 1!!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. Spooky

Spooky

Well done Dennis-
    63Rat has a great dad folks!

15. Good to hear, education is key in todays world!

16. 54RAT

54RAT

Thanks Spooky!!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  17. coffeegirl

coffeegirl

Very glad your famaily has this attitude !!! :D

Good job so far, keep the posts coming. :)

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans, I didn't follow Monster's find a home for the car thread too close but it looks like the car found it's self someone who will really appreciate it.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome have fun and enjoy the ride

20. 54RAT

54RAT

We didn't get too much done this week end, but we got the rear end out and pressure washed, got the brake drums cleaned and painted, ready to be re surfaced, dis mounted the tires and began the clean up on the original wheels, spent some time just looking under the car planning the tear down.

Attached Files:

21. The_Monster

The_Monster

man, you guys are really going for it! great progress so far! I really like seeing Joe working on the car! Dont forget safety glasses when using power tools tho man, those tiny flying wires can pierce eyeballs when they break loose! ouch! just lookin out for ya!

22. skoh73

skoh73

Good to see progress. I can't wait to see what gets done once school is out.

23. 54RAT

54RAT

thanks for the advice monster. Our saftey glasses were too far gone to use. We do have a new pair now. drums are now surfaced, parts list from napa with part numbers is done, just shopping around a bit for the best deals.
    hopefully after school is out, we can make a little faster progress, but dad still has to go to work.
    thanks for watching!!

24. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

One day I was using a wire wheel to clean somthing off. Had the safety gear on too.

Later that night I ran my hand through my hair and was shocked to find a wire, not only in my hair but stuck in my head. I never felt it. Now I try to wear a stocking hat or welding hat when I'm in the garage.

Looks like some great progress. I was suprised to see the rear axle issue. I wonder what the story with that was. What can cause a rear axle to break like that??? Puzzling.

25. Spooky

Spooky

Yeah, from what 54RAt told me, the third member was possibly not the original, too.

26. 54RAT

54RAT

Made a bit of progress today. Thanks to Friend and fellow Hamber Marty Strode, the rear axle housing is now ready to put back into the Merc. Marty was VERY generous in helping out 63RAT. He donated his time to this project. Thanks again Marty!!
    While joe was in school, I took the clean bare housing over to Marty's shop. He prepped the housing, put it in his jig, jacked it straight, and re-welded the tube to the center section. The affected axle tube was quite a ways off from being straight and true. Marty was able to bring it back to where it needed to be. He has a pretty cool set up for doing this. He has a jig, a dummy center section, a straight bar, a jack, and some machined cups and is able to true up a housing in short order.
    Now it just needs to be painted and re assembled.

Attached Files:

27. Cool! Looks like it will be a fun project.

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dennis and Joe, I was happy to help out. Keep me posted on your project.

29. coffeegirl

coffeegirl

Great weather to get some good things done. Keep us in the loop, enjoy the photos & information.

30. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Good stuff...hope you guys are on the road again soon.