Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. I think your mic is done, hehehe.....

2. Saxxon

Saxxon

You're a brave man Dave. First you drive yourself nuts trying to sort out the carbs on gas and now you want to go through twice the hell of sorting out the nitrous. Go slow and make small changes otherwise you'll mess up another engine.

I'm also starting to wonder if your suspension is starting to tell you something. More power always wakes up the suspension demons. Hopefully that hard right you had off the line was just a fluke.

Good luck with it man. This is by far my favorite thread to follow. Can't wait for the 9 second pass. Even more anxious to see Death's Door Step make a pass or 3

3. Great vid!! you might be a Littleman but half your weight must be made up by the size of your Balls Dave. To keep your foot in it that far out of the groove is awesome. You probably would have made a great dirt track driver!! Would imagine that the pucker power on the bike rider would have left a little dimple in the seat! Keep up the drive for the 9"s.

4. In awe....

The Littleman truck is one of my all time favorites. Too cool for school!

As stated earlier - Littleman = big balls.

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Well...The Truck is put away for the winter now in the front garage and up on jack stands, water drained and replaced w/ antifreeze.....That last pass was a fun way to end the season.....Time to tinker in the back garage now.........Running the Truck w/ the six-two's and chasin a number @ the strip takes me away from building and finishing DeathsDoorStep and other projects and working on the house and allot of other tasks as well..I really need to stop running it....it has taken me over...will think about the Trucks fate over the winter...

I would like to thank ''GOATROPER02'' Tony @ Ross Racing Engines in Niles Ohio for all the help @ the shop and getting me running again after I blew the last engine [not his] in early June of this year.........Thanks everyone, Littleman

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXPCyjI6OvY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXPCyjI6OvY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object

6. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but it looks like you are way left of the groove. That could explain the squirrley launch.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for the ride Dave !
    Glenn

8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

that was an awsome pass dave!!!i agree with shakey p.you were deff.out of the groove on the starting line.looks like you turned to fix it but the truck was still faceing the spectator side.i also cant believe how well you hooked up with all the sawing you were doing out of the groove.just think we only have to wait 5 more months for next season{MAN THAT SUCKS!!!!!}

9. So what has come to mind ?

10. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

What block is the new motor?

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Swade41, I need to change a few things around...but it will see the Track this year for a spin or two....Have no plans on hitting it hard like in years past. My free time will be spent building the new DragCar, gathering parts and still working allot of hours @ work so free time is hard to come by.

I just started machining [8] more 94 carbs, these will ultimately be for DDS. But I am trying to get these done for I want to try [6] of them on the Truck. The Trucks 94 DragCarbs I machined have a venturi size of .998'' which is larger than the stock spec..The [8] for DDS I have machined the venturi's larger than 1-1/16'' Dia..Not to mention I am doing a whole bunch of other mods on these as well.....I think the Truck will run faster if I can increase the cfm...well I need to try it or it will bother me I did not try it.

These pics are from today. The top part of the carb has really been opened up and I still need to blend the sharp angle @ the opening.....The two step venturi center section enlargement is complete as of today, still need to qualify all flat surfaces and polish from the narrow venturi area up and the out side of the carbs......Allot more hours will be needed.

SixFour, The block in the Truck is your average 4bolt 350 block, Thanks, Littleman

This pic is a side by side, stock untouched 94 next to my enlarged 94.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I had a rare two day's off in a row w/ yesterday and today.....Thompson Gasser meet is this coming weekend......I needed to get some work done on the Truck...I finally made up a crankcase ventilation system going from the valve covers down to the collectors, long over due...I am also in the middle of making an air shield of sorts that goes over the carbs in attempt to get the carbs in clean air.....Garlits and others used to run these and made them out of sheet metal incase of a fire from a backfire thru the carbs ect,I believe and to shield the tops of the carbs from the wind speed.....It's something I have wanted to try for awhile but need to finish it up..I also repositioned the nitrous bottle and had it filled and did some wiring.........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The most effective solution for the incoming air into teh carbs would be a big ass pro-stock style hood scoop.

But that would be uncool....

I ment to ask you...when you opened up the venturi holes in teh carbs, did you keep the same hour glass shape or did you change it to a more "modern" profile? There is alot of science in the exact shape of teh venturi tubes that your 97s could benefit from.

Google Venturi and Bernuli, there is some neat shit about the flow of air through shaped passages.

You gonna drive that rig to the HAMB Drags????

Good luck, -Abone.

14. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Flamedabone.......yes, this time I did change a few things up...once I understood the Bernoulli Equation and other info offered out their.....Its the only time I read anything...only when I am researching..I eve talked w/ some big time big named carb guy's...all of which told me I was wasting my time working on these antique carbs, their my new hero's, just like nitrous oxide systems when they hung up on me after I told them I wanted to apply nitrous to six 94 carbs..ha ha ha..Ya never know ...unless you try it !......Littleman

I will not make it to the Hamb Drags this year......nor could I afford the gas bill for that trip driving the Truck..ha ha ha...Dave

15. 51box

51box
    from MA

Looks really good, can't wait to see what she turns now with the modified carbs.

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Talking to a pro race carb guy about your 94s would be like telling someone...yea, I have these two sticks... I'm looking to rub them together in the best way possible to make a big bunch of fire.

Looking forward to some new video. -Abone.

17. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

[​IMG]

Looks great Dave, so the air to the carbs come in from the side? Hoping to make it out to Thompson the wife has given me the thumbs up and should know about work this Wednesday. I will try to catch up with you at somepoint.

Jon

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

It's OFFICIAL......I hit my 9.99 sec. goal............Today started out rough, it was the first time I have been to the DragStrip since last November...So it is like starting all over again w/ the six carbs tuneup wise..........First pass was a dismal 11.15 and had allot of fuel pressure problems, but managed to work my way thru them and had it running in the 10's after that......then I started to play w/ the nitrous............and ran 9.73 @ 135.32 mph and backed it up w/ a 9.80 @ 136.02 mph...........The Truck is retired now...before I get hurt in it....I have no video, but hope to find someone that caught it on tape...It was like a rocket....he he he Littleman

19. Congrats!!!

9.73 is hauling the mail!

Always loved the truck. What are the plans for it now that it's "retired"?

20. Fedman

Fedman

Congratulations, I appreciate the difficulty in running that quick, and you definetely deserve a big Attaboy!!!. A job well done again congrats!

21. D-man313

D-man313

Congrats!!! I can't image what that ride was like.

22. Tony

Tony

Congrats on meeting your goal!
    Thats an impressive number regardless, but running it with 6x2's is just plain badass.
    Nice!!

23. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

I hope someone shot some video of that. Awesome job, congrats!

24. RichB

RichB

Congratulations&#8217; on making your goal.
    I have been following your truck from the beginning. I have had the same problem with the &#8220;pros&#8221; that you have. They all say the same thing &#8220;get rid of the old carbs and just put on a new four barrel&#8221;. I could only imagine the looks on their face&#8217;s when you asked about putting nitrous on your set up.
    I&#8217;ve enjoyed following your progress, and now I&#8217;m sorry it&#8217;s retired. I really hope someone has video to post, of it's last runs down the track.

25. wow in the 9's!!! congratulations. that truck is killer

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your 9, it's a huge deal. One of the few to ever do it with a street car and a bunch of old Strombergs.

So now what?? You gonna put a weenie motor in it and drive it back and forth to work?

Nice work, -Abone.

27. Congrats Dave, I hope you took the time to let it all set in before getting back at it. That's pretty bad ass, you never gave up and you got there !

28. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Holy crap that rules! Congrats little buddy..

29. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

What i truely love about all your stuff is you build the baddest ass hot rods that you not only actually drive the piss out of but they perform as well.....great stuff & jus pure bloody hot rodding at its finest...DDR

30. Paul Y

Paul Y

Dave,

Big thumbs up, will be wearing my Littleman T shirt today with pride!

Now lets just hope someone has some video....

P.