Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Impala Disc Brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JxCentralCal, Jun 1, 2011.

1. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

2. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

Anybody do something similar to this?
    or can speak on the quality of aftermarket brake disc kits for these years impalas?
    Thanks again

3. LDGn63

LDGn63

sorry i cant help ya as i used McGaughy's drop spindles on my '63 AND i run 15" but i would like to know what you find out 'cause i just might use this kit on my '55.

one thing i can tell you about the McGaughy kit is DO NOT USE their power booster bracket (unless they have improved it)! It totally hoses your pedal ratio... i ended up reusing my stock power bracket (the style that has a pedal ratio "amplifier") and now it works like a charm! I think you can buy repro brackets.

4. I bought the setup on my 62SS from http://www.autocityclassic.com/
    They don't list the brakes on there site anymore but I have seen them with them at shows. I have 14" Rallyes over mine and they fit well.

5. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

Aside from the bracket any other problems with the setup? And would you say it improved the brakes enough to warrant the upgrade?

With the spindles your running does it kick either of the tires out like alot of these kits currently available do?

Thanks again,
    J

6. There are a number of disc brake kits available for this application and you can find some that work with 14" disc brake ralley wheels. Lategreatchevy.com even has 14" steel wheels for use with disc brakes, but they're not cheap at about $150.00 a piece. Your problem lies with wanting to run them reversed. You might wanna check with one of the wheel makers, such as Rallye America, to see what can be done, if anything.

7. Andy

Andy

I like the looks and attitude of these folks.

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=12

I had the whole McGaughys kit and sent it back. Quality was poor and the turning radius would have been much bigger. The uprights are cast iron and the requird thickness moves the steering arms so it would not have steered the same.

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I just redid the brakes my 62 Impala use all the stock parts new wheel cylinders archt the shoes to the drums new master cylinder ther good brakes if you take care of them

9. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

I used a kit on my 65 Chevelle from a co. called "the right stuff" everything worked great!

10. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

Holy Sh*t.
    That looks like exactly what I need. Thanks Bud.

11. LDGn63

LDGn63

I wanted the DROP and DISKS... it works, but i wouldnt use them again.
    it stops great now but the turning IS affected.

good luck!

12. ryno

ryno

classic performance products. they have everything you need. call them and tell them what you want.