Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap engine dress up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Jun 2, 2011.

1. derbydad276

derbydad276

ok who has some cheap engine dressup ideas for me ( help!!!)

here is a pic of what I have so far what were the old time things?

Attached Files:

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

clean it paint it polish the shinys and take a pair of tinsnips to the wiring. :D

3. Berky

Berky

First thing first, I would clean up all the loose wires. It's almost free and makes everything look so much better.

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

like stated ..clean up the wiring..i like to hide as much wiring as i can...i run it down the bottom and back of the motor

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hide that ballast resistor and clean up all that wiring would be the first thing.

6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

As stated, clean up the wiring, paint it, oh and you might want to upgrade the oil filter.

7. geemann51

geemann51

I was recently stairing at my engine bay and it donnd on me that the kickdown cable looked out of place (yeah I know, it's already out of place to some I'm sure)since it had kind of a yellowish plastic end on it. Quick as a whistle, I cut a piece of shrinkl tube to fit, heated and reassembled it. It's amazing at how much just a simple little 5 minute job really makes things look quite a bit better....

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Less is more, cleaning up the loose wiring, plug wires, etc... will make a huge difference...

9. truman3

truman3
    from TEXAS

I say clean up the wiring!

Ha.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And get rid of the colorful stuff. Get some black sparkplug wires with the less modern looking right angle boots. And get a black dist. cap...or paint it. Also change the bright yellow dipstick...or paint it black or engine color. And that little yellow thing too...or paint it.

11. clean up the master cylinder, shoot some paint on it

12. spags

spags

Our engines look very similar, I chromed the side plate and it seemed to make a lot of difference.

Attached Files:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on that but mine looks about the same.
    That won't cost you much and will work wonders for getting the engine compartment to look a lot better.

Maybe some looms for the plug wires to make them neater and just clean up scabs all over the place. Which reminds me I need to spend a couple of hours on my daily that isn't supposed to be the daily this weekend and do a bit of organizing under the hood.

14. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

I paint the dipstick red so I can see it!!

15. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Every thing these guys have already said but cut off the dipstick end and weld on a "church key". Looks good, it's easy, people like it and don't look other newer stuff.

16. 60rftc

60rftc
    from LBC

All that's been said is great stuff and you might want to put a much larger air filter/cover on there as well.

17. OLLIN

OLLIN

new air filter, new spark plug wires with better ends, clean up wiring with black zip ties, or shrink tube all of it, paint the master cylinder with cast coat iron paint, paint the voltage regulator black, simple green the engine compartment, touch up the black on the firewall and fender wells. Mask it off and repaint the blue on the block, dual carbs, headers, finned valve covers maybe? oh and get a cover for the fram filter.