Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sport Coupe Project for the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Apr 10, 2010.

1. slobroy

slobroy

That's one fine looking ride. Makes me want to modify my stock 30 sport coupe.

2. Hot damn Jerry, that is one awesome car. I am jealous... of your wife :D

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Can't wait for Latimore...that's my dead line

thanks guys

Another late night in the shop after work...got some more odds and ends done tonight...mounted my ground straps...starting running the battery cables and put extended throttle shafts in two of the carbs that needed em.

Seat should be done from the upholstery guy soon

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Lots of progress today. I installed the passenger side carb linkage..got everything adjusted and working smoothly. Cut my return springs and fab'd up some tabs that mount to the carb bases for the springs to hook to. All 6 carbs are moving just like they should.

I also plumbed the whole lower fuel system tonight and the tank is now ready for gas.

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Wiring !!!

[​IMG]

Added a 45 degree piece of aluminum stock to the bottom of my gas cap. It was going to be a pain in the butt getting a hose clamp around the bottom with the quarter panel brace right next to it. This worked out great and is a straight shot for my filler neck hose that I'm going to clamp on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Another 3 or 4 weeks and I'll have the wiring wrapped up for ya , Jerry ... ;)

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Spent the past week doing more of the little stuff that takes time. Altered the measurements of my battery box, installed battery, and battery cables. Picked up some fittings I needed to install the temp and oil press senders, picked up a speedo cable, installed turn signal/high beam indicators, made a wood bow for the inside of the top and a bunch of other stuff.

Buddy Palumbo has been coming over and helping out with the wiring while I thrash on the other stuff needed to get this thing on the road. He's the man. Still waiting on my seat from the upholster...so much for "you'll have it in a week"..ha! Oh well...the guy does good work..so I won't bitch too much.

I put a box in blocking off the gas tank from the engine compartment. Just some 18 guage bent on a brake, notched out for my fuel tank tubing, and bolted in.

[​IMG]

Here's the scene before I left tonight. I have it up on jack stands....almost done.....almost...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. wow... impressive work! lookin' forward to seeing it next weekend at the showdown.

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

More little stuff done...another day of thrashing with Buddy Palumbo.....cotter pinned and greased all the tie rods, put the rear shocks back in, installed speedo cable.

Lit up the front and rear lights, turn signals and high beam indicators for the first time and fired the motor for the first time since assembly.

We should have the wiring completely done and wrapped by tomorrow....then on to exhaust....

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Go Jerry go.Looking forward seeing your car at the jalopy showdown...........

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Took it for a drive last night around the block...finally

12. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see it. Gonna get it muddy?

13. cant wait to see it at the Showdown!!

14. Great progress Jerry!

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I didn't take the car to the showdown..wasn't quite ready ...

Some more progress from the past couple days...

Hung the trunk lid but still need to adjust the bearclaw latch.

Also got the seat back from the upholstery guy..he did a killer job. The car goes to him in a couple weeks for door panels and the rest of the interior done. Looks red in the pic..but it's maroon like the rest of the stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jerry,
    Been re-reading this for the inspiration to start my coupster. A lot of your pics are going to help me with getting the new subrails set up. Don't beieve that I'll get done as quick or as "pretty" as yours, but you've set the bar for the product. Sorry it wasn't done for the Showdown, but then I would've been one in the crowd. Keep it coming.
    RB

17. Retd1SG

Retd1SG
    from Wisconsin

Just found and read your post.
    What a great play-by-play post!!
    Your workmanship is excellant.
    This thing just screams for an 2-port Riley converted Banger though.

18. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

So you driving this thing yet or what?

19. skoh73

skoh73

Wow, that interior looks gorgeous!

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

too busy terrorizing the road ...hahaha...updates and a video soon. The rest of the interior goes in two weeks from now.

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Darn good deal in my mind...
    Good luck on it.
    Cheers............

22. 29cabby

29cabby

man that things is looking good since i saw it a few months ago

23. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

Tell me about that 6x2 set up. Was it hard to tune? how about response? are you dumping 6 at once or running off the middle two? It looks bad ass!

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

getting the bugs worked out..put a different radiator in, different coil, different set of rear gears....she's running pretty good right now. Nice to finally be able to hit the road

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  25. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Like Jerry Lee Lewis said---BREATHLESS!!!!!!!!:D

26. really cool build....we need to start a model a sportcoupe owners club...

27. Followed the link over here but -- man, I wish there were pics and not big Red Xs..
    I like the current pics but it'd been cool to see the transformation

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps @HomemadeHardtop57 can reintroduce the pics which is a huge job...it has suffered the fate of many other inspirational builds and activity over the years here. All I can say is save your pics to your hard drive not to online storage sites and post to your threads from there. They will remain on thread then even if you delete them after you post the thread. Without the pics there the thread has lost something bigtime.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    fourspeedwagon likes this.
  29. Stogy- I'm glad you post pics of it how it is now--- it's a peach.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Fourspeed...I will find some of the pics when Jerry completed it and post them here. If you or anyone else need any detail shots or measurements for whatever reason let me know. I'm having alot of fun with it.

fourspeedwagon likes this.