Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats your favorite auto parts store?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d.reese, Apr 30, 2011.

1. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

When I was a teen there was a parts store me and my pop went to that was great. Outstanding knowledge & service and priced fair. I recall the sales counter had more grease on it that the underside of my car. Rebuild heads and turned drums everywhere. I loved it, it felt like my garage.
    I have a nice local parts store about 3 miles from my house, but priced even higher than NAPA....... I guess all we are left with is NAPA.

Bill

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like O Reillys the best for the national chains around here,the older people that worked at the local Napa are gone and kids behind the counter now so I doubt I will be going back too much since they could not find a filter for a old AC inline fuel filter and wanted me to come up with numbers to cross reference. O Reillys had it in stock and will have them get me more to keep in stock,we still have a couple local parts store that I shoud patronize but they dont have stores close to the house like the the national chains.

3. rustdodger

rustdodger

I use the NAPA in the nearby small town of Everson. There is a good chance that the guy behind the counter will be one of the owners. Whoever you get is willing to go the extra mile to help solve your problem.I've always had good luck when I'm away from home going to NAPA stores too.

4. choke

choke

We got a Kragens here in Ronhert Park run by a couple good looking young gals. Everytime i go in there looking for something hard to find, they really know how to get it. Their a little more expensive than the other stores, but sometimes it's worth the extra money!

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

It used to B&M Auto parts in Riverside & Colton Auto Parts.Colton Auto parts was pretty cool they had all kinds of cool bikes & motorized bikes hanging from the ceiling and some old gas pumps out front.They also had a machine shop and had places they could send your parts out to have rebuilt.Both are gone now so I guess I would have to say NAPA.

6. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Looks like NAPA is KING so far, anyone else want to knock'm off the hill?

7. Other stores are closer, but I go to NAPA. They're better on the old stuff, will find it for you even if it's halfway across the country and no shipping. They have good help and fair pricing.

8. For me Auto Zone has always been good. I used to work for pep boys so every once in a while ill get something there. But for the most part auto zone has most of the stuff im looking for.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

NAPA is great, the guys at my local Advance Auto also try hard to help and do thier best.

10. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

11. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Local junkyards first,then I guess Kragen/O'reilly's.

12. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I have recently started going to Pep Boys, Our Glen Burnie store has just recently opened a "speed shop" which stocks a lot of high performance parts, Certain staff members are very helpful.

13. flat34pu

flat34pu

i now go to winchester auto, they have a couple of guys that specializ in looking up parts on the older books and the computor, they found the replacement mallory 4001 cap for me, and everyone else do go out of there way to help you.
    iv been to (3) O Rillys in different towns, sorry but there were only young kids, always lost or on the phone ignoring you even when you stand right in front of them. the one NAPA store that i would go to closed up, they were also great service.
    rich

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  14. 1oldracer

1oldracer

My area Lee Auto Parts. They actually have real parts guys there, that don't have to know the year, 2 or 4 wheel drive and does it have A/C.

15. Tony's auto parts is number one. Good prices, good counter people, only gave me the wrong part once, and almost always have what I need. Plus they are the closest. Second is a tie between NAPA and Cost less. If i walk into napa and Jeremiah or Mike aren't there I walk out. I hate going to cost less but they do really cost less, are open until nine, and have anything in stock. But its all china crap, and I always seem to get the counter guy who "no speaka da english very good". I try to only go there when I'm in a pinch. i vowed never to go into autozone again after a guy tried to sell me a steering wheel puller when I was looking for a pin puller for a gm tilt column. Didn't seem to matter how many times i said "That's not what I'm looking for" or "I already have one". I didn't even get to finish my sentence with the guy at tony's. Knew exactly what I was looking for.

16. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

NAPA has a big distribution center about 2 miles from my shop so I go there a lot, there is a local chain that is a little closer/faster than this NAPA so I go there some too.

Autozone has the best website for looking up parts and they actually have some domestic performance items so I shop there too on occasion.

There is a speed shop pretty close to my shop, but man, they are disorganized, lots of stuff for trucks and rice, and the smell of the cat litter box kind of turns me back....

It all depends on what I need, what time of the day it is, and how I can find what I need at the moment.

17. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

The local O'Reilly guys are great, very helpful and have always had what I needed when I needed it.

18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Early Ford Store
    San Dimas, California

19. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

A&M Motor Supply in Los Gatos Ca.

20. 68 C10

68 C10
    from Athens, GA

Napa or O'reilly for me. Those two here are the only ones that I can go in and they have worthwhile folks behind the counter that also don't try to sell me a flashlight at the counter as I try to pay. I gave the Autozone and Advance a couple chances each and needless to say they failed.

21. Deuces

Deuces

The closest one I could walk too... O'Reilly's.. It used to be Murray's Auto till they switched names..

22. HEY, THESE GUYS ARE RODDERS TOO!
    My friends down to the two local NAPA stores have saved my life several times. And down on the Waterloo Road store, Tim & Lloyd are rodders too. Thanks guys for all you do......

23. NAPA, it's owned locally. I've bought from the independent (parts mart) also but don't have an account there, both are good.

24. S1B

S1B

Surprised this useless thread is still open.

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I guess out of respect for the rodders of the 40's and 50's, I choose not to buy from NAPA. Sponsoring a Japanese car brand in NASCAR is just not right.I have a local independent that carries the CarQuest line that is pretty good.

26. Mike's Auto Parts

Mike doesn't need to know the year, make, model, color and how many doors the car has, to pull a common set of valve cover gaskets off the shelf.

27. Baxter's Auto Parts , S. 43rd and also off 6th ave in Tacoma.

28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Midnight Auto Supply;)

You can't beat the prices!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  29. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

A topic near to my heart. For the best service, no matter the name on the store, start a relationship with the "commercial" or "wholesale" person in the store. They are usually the quickest, most knowledgable and aren't afraid of the paper. Most are automotive enthusiasts and really care about what they do. Of course, there are exceptions, but this holds true on most occasions. If you buy a lot of parts, ask to be set up on an account, even if you want to pay cash each visit. You'll generally get better service and pricing. As for parts quality, most nationally known stores carry pretty much the same thing, might be in their own box, but there isn't a lot of difference. For example, the remanufactured power steering pump that NAPA sells is exactly the same one that Advance, O'Reilly's, Car Quest, AutoZone sells. Same with rotating electrical, ignition, hydraulics, filters, etc...

30. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

X2! Bob at Baums is great!