Register now to get rid of these ads!

8ba

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stan Lee, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

I've got the chance to pick up the drivetrain from a 50 shoebox for 400 bucks. The motor is supposedly locked up its complete aside from a crank pulley. I've read as many thread I could about what to look for as for as a good builder but I'm wondering if I should take the chance and buy it?
    thoughts and opinions welcome,
    Thanks Stan Lee

2. $400 sounds high to me for a motor you know is locked up

3. if it was me i wouldnt spend 400 on a locked up engine unless you could pull it apart before the cash exchanges hands to inspect whats actually wrong with it

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What is the trans?

5. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

Its said to be locked up the guy who has it never tried to see if it was or not just pulled it in favor of a sbc swap

I planned on checking it out the best I could before exchanging money

3 speed

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I wouldnt pay much more than scrap price for any unknown motor/trans that way if its junk (likely) youre not out much and if not you got a good deal.

7. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I got my whole 1952 ford with 8BA and 3 speed for $400. All it needed was a radiator and fuel pump besides the standard old car stuff (brakes, tires, battery, tuneup). So from my point of view $400 for just the motor/trans when it is possibly locked seems a bit high. ;)

8. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I got my "unknown state" 8BA off of C's List for $250. I didn't get the tranny,
    which I didn't need anyways. I figured even if it is toast, at least it was cheap
    enough not to hurt that bad, and I might recover the cost in the other parts off
    of the motor. Even if the parts become wall art for my shop, it won't put that big
    of a dent in my pocket.

9. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

That's what I thinking that if anything I could part it out because it's a complete motor and trans

10. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

Btt for the afternooners

11. Bought my locked up flatty for $50. But it wasn't a 8BA.
    It was local, so I jumped right on it...
    They question is, how much do you think you can get out of it, if it is junk.
    Then ask yourself if you can live with that!

The least I would do is take the heads off and look for obvious cracks before you buy it, if you can.

12. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

Planning to take the heads off and the oil pan to look for cracks and see if in fact that it's locked up or not and what should I look for with the trans to make sure it's worth my time

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

400 is a bit steep. I paid 400 for the 8BA I bought last year and it runs and the cooling system was full of antifreeze before I pulled it out of the rig it was in.

I bought an early 40's flathead with what appears to be a cracked block but it is complete with all the stuff on it and the starter, generator and flywheel ought to be worth more than I paid for it if the block is no good. I paid 100 for that one off craigslist.

14. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

I agree it's a lil high but they don't come up often in my area my buddy in Az can find them all day long for 250 but shipping would kill me

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There was a complete 4 door early 50's Ford here you could have driven home for $600. I almost bought it, but I don't need more junk.

16. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

I can get em off the west coast all day long but shipping would kill me and I've got a 390 FE but looking for something smaller

17. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

where?

stan lee
    thats pretty high i picked up 1 almost complete minus the carb and gen for 250, just wait for the right one to fall in your lap. just my 2 cents

18. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

I'm on the gulf coast it's hard to come across anything like a flatty

19. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

Aside from the obvious about the motor how much is the transmission worth?

20. Sounds a little steep. I picked up a running (barely) flathead from a '49 truck. Got the radiator, center cross member/pedals and transmission (a useless truck 4 speed) for about $350.
    Yeah, pull the heads for a look-see.
    Good luck!

21. StrickV8

StrickV8

keep looking....

22. Stan Lee

Stan Lee

I might just pass on the flatty I found a 55 Imperial with a 331 for 600 that turns freely