Register now to get rid of these ads!

VW gassers, not the V8 car, but the real ones (aircooled)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S1B, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S1B

S1B

We all know they were out there "back in the day". They raced along side of the V8 brutes! As usual with something that's not the norm, they seem to be lost in history though. Share your stories, history, pics and knowledge.

2. Be surprised if this stays up long, but here ya go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

4. Don
    I don't think the occaisional V-Dub causes too much consternation here on the board. But I guess I could call someone an asshat if it would help get it closed for ya. :D

I recall seeing a beetle or two way back when that could really rip off a quick 1320. I won't admit to ever being outrun by one though.

Post script:

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of the real deal from way back when other than those already posted. And it looks like I don't have to call anyone a bad name 49 has stepped up for me. ;)

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

6. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

There isnt a problem posting VWs, its just a bunch of about 10 regulars who cause shit in every thread which means they get closed.

7. el shad

el shad

That was not very nice at all. Funny...... But not nice...

8. Hey wait a minute, it isn't every thread and they don't all get closed. Like I said the occaisional V-Dub doesn't cause too much problem. Even the Boss has said that the occaisional V-Dub isn't a problem.

Now before this thread becomes a shit storm lets put it aside and watch for cool pics n stories.

9. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

EVERY.... Unbelieveable ain't they. Sad........

10. I'd love to see some 60's VW drag cars, but I'm sure this thread will go soon because it's not about a boat anchor flathead or a boring 32 ford.

11. anteek

anteek

VW's couldn't run in gasser classes because they didn't have a 92 inch or longer wheelbase, and where rear engined. They could be built for altered classes tho.

12. Keep this going! The old VW's cool!!

13. You are correect but as long as they weren't running on alcohol they would still be a gas class car of sorts.

Sorry I just wanted to be difficult. :D

14. RichG

RichG

A few pics:

Attached Files:

15. S1B

S1B

Didn't think about that. Altered class would make more sense.

16. Rich
    I probably shouldn't say this but that bug digger is cool.

Ya gots more info on it?

17. I don't have a problem with them - just figured some of the narrow minded folks would - looks like I'm right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember the name of the car, Vunderbug or something like that, that used to race at Thunder Valley in South Dakota back in the early 70's. It handed lots of heavier V8 cars their asses, and sounded just like the fart pipes on the little four cylinder cars of today.

19. xix32

xix32

type 1, VW 1835 c.c., single 32 m.m. carburetor. 148 m.p.h. in level flight

[​IMG]

20. Of course they could - The rules were changed on wheelbase, but Bug's had a 94.5" anyway. Anglias were only 90".
    VW's held many records in H/Gas(Mouse Trap) I/Gas (Small Wonder), M/Gas (race Shop Ghia, 10.63@134) To name a few

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  21. Very Nice!!!!!

22. RichG

RichG

I don't but it's not for a lack of trying... hopefully someone else knows some more about it!

I know they're a little off the topic, but I couldn't resist posting a couple Bonneville pics here:D

Attached Files:

23. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I saw this at Cecil County last year. I think the owner told me it was powered by a highly modified air-cooled boxer engine. I didn't see it run that day but it looks pretty mean.

Attached Files:

24. Don weren't the forieghn cars when originally allowed to run in Gas Class limited in cubic inch displacement?

I would think that the only thing on a V-dub that would effect it in gas class is engine placement, at least until the well base rule change in '68 that put a lot of gas class cars into altered class because of wheel base issues. I wonder if a lot of them didn't run modified sports car.

25. Here a few more

Frenchy

Attached Files:

26. S1B

S1B

Bill Clarkson

Attached Files:

27. Not sure how far off topic the B-Ville pics would be. A lot of LSRs also drag raced in the beginnings of organized drag racing.

28. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Give www.volksrods.com a shot, not saying it because I want to be a jerk, just because I think you'll get a better response. I personally don't mind them.

29. Here a few more

Frenchy

Attached Files:

30. S1B

S1B

I don't mind the Volks rod thing, but that and the stuff being posted here are two different worlds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.