Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olive Drab, Flat Black, or Dull/Semi Gloss Old Ford Blue.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47Ford - 1.5Ton, Jun 1, 2011.

1. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

STARTING to think of final paint colors..... everything only has a single coat that has been painted so far...... kind of thinking of going a little 'original' or retro and darkening it up a bit.....

1947 Ford 'HEAVY' trucks (they didn't have the F series yet) werent flashy, didn't offer chrome, and only had 2 colors (main and accent) max (most were singles)

Kind of thinking of going retro with just powder coated black rims........

Olive Drab w/ a bit more green hue....with single color accent.....(This is how my 1947 came)
    [​IMG]

Olive single color... (black and white sorry only one I could find)
    [​IMG]

flat black and single accent w/ black rims
    [​IMG]

mild gloss or flat blue with single white accent w/ white rims (as scheduled)
    [​IMG]

or thinking of going the same route as above but with black rims....

I guess I'm more open to this then most suspect...... paint isn't all that big of a deal to me as the color or appearance isn't so important TO ME as the actual engineering, physics, and mechanical operation and practicality......

Everything 'isnt' original by any and all means but.... I'd like to keep its outward appearance to at least keep people guessing.......

2. cide1

cide1

If the top pick is your truck, I think I would clear over it, and powder coat the wheels black. I think that looks awesome as is.

3. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

x2 save the patina! try washing it with CLR to get rid of the surface rust, I think there are a few threads on here about "restoring" a weathered finish and then protecting it.

4. No offense but I really liked the forest green that they came in.

But of your other color choices I would probably go with the black.

5. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I think ive seen the build on this truck with the cummins. I would do the mild gloss blue with the white accent. It looks realy nice.

6. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Its already stripped as I had to do some rust repair so most (80%) of the original patina is gone and sitting in primer..... :(

7. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

Wash it with purple scotch brite pads, soap and water. Then shoot it with flat clearcoat. just my .02.

8. badshifter

badshifter

I'm with Beaner, dark green can't go wrong. Those big ole trucks look good in old colors like a deep dark barn red, dark brown, olive, black, navy blue. The bright colors to me are too over the top and make it look like a fad truck or toy.

9. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Really digging the black/dark navy blue and white/cream accent with black rims.....

Only problem now is what color for the saddle tanks etc...... really would not want to paint those black against black frame rails and hide one of the cooler features of the truck but.......

More ideas welcome..... I like the green but.... just cant fully get my hand around it.....

10. If you paint the saddles black they will still show. Anyone looking at a heavy truck that is in the least bit interested in heavy trucks will notice.

11. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Maybe just do the 2 tank straps in the accent color? (powdercoat white)

12. Excellent now you're thinking.

13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Polished Aluminum with contrast paint (main color) on straps

14. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Tanks are steel..... cant find nor willing to take on the ta$k of making such smaller saddles out of aluminum (below 100 gallons)

15. If that top photo is yours, the truck looks great as is!
    If it were mine I would probably loose those goofy mirrors and just give a fresh black paint job on the wheels and clean up the tires. My other choice would be pic #3 - and the red stake sides really set it off....
    Keep us posted.

16. two tone green or blue. medium shade on body, a little darker on trim.

17. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Nope mine is in clean metal/primer as its undergoing/underwent some rust and dent repair........

I'm leaning toward the black/white

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not flat black please. Gloss or really, really dark Olive green with cream accents.

Brian

19. i never have cared for the white painted trim on the old trucks

i aggree they look better in darker colors

i would go with a DARK forest green and a lighter shade of green (i dont mean something like lime) i mean one or two shades lighter then the primary color just enough to give it some contrast i do the wheels in white though then run some classy "factory style" pinstripes (think early 30's sedan) in cream or white possibly red

20. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Just an FYI......

This paintjob will be a Summit system (bc/cc) or simply a rattle can (much like you see in the light blue/white picture above - which is how it stands now) the first go around as the body will be on and off so many times working the kinks out that I'm not spending the money in paint.......... that being said...... I only want to do paint matching once....

3 or 4 years from now once I work out the chassis is when the body will go in for a full pro paint job.......