Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod utility trailer???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, May 30, 2011.

1. fitzee

fitzee

This is something close to what i had in mind. Nice little setup. interested in know how it hinges.

2. fitzee

fitzee

This is different. the seal on the door?? did it leak?? only problem with this is finding one around here!!

3. fitzee

fitzee

That might be the smart thing to do but where`s the fun in that!!LOL I going to build something cause i have most of the parts all ready.

4. xlr8er

xlr8er

Two thoughts here.

I saw a trailer the other day that was really neat. It was being towed by a motorcycle so it wasn't too heavy. The guy took what looked like a roof top carrier and put it on a trailer and painted it to look like a mini Airstream trailer. I had to turn around to get another look. I had never seen anything like that before.

The other thought is taking a bumper car and turning it into a trailer (I have 2 of them). It would be pretty easy to make a tonneu cover for the open area where you'd normally sit inside. There is a suprising amout of storage space inside one if you remove the motor and such. The cars from the 70's are still stylish and made out of fiberglass so they're light and reasonably cheap.

Best of luck!!

5. fitzee

fitzee

Ah cool but not my cup of tea!!!

6. I am planning to build a mini shasta trailer.

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

8. oldolds

oldolds

He's driving a T-bucket. I doubt that it would have enough spring to handle 200+ lbs. on the back like that. Trailer tounge weight should be only about 10% of trailer weight.

9. fitzee

fitzee

Was playing around today and I think the stile of Sheep Dip trailer is what I`m after. I am going to play around with rounding out the corner and the hood will be different.I am going to be built this with some panels from a few 50`s and 60`s cars I have I`ll do a build on it when i get started cause it seem there is some interesting in trailers here. I have about 5 weeks to build this so I am going to have to get busy!!

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

So I guess this means you are driving the hair dryer to the Nats :D If so I want a ride I never been in a T bucket yet ! I hope Dunnie is still bringing Hamb Andys a-bone...

11. sedanbob

sedanbob

There are plans on-line for a tear-drop that start with a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer. The nice thing about starting with a HF trailer is that it comes with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, that gets you a title and license with no hassle, and includes all the basic parts - hitch, wiring, axle, hubs, wheels, tires, taillights - and pretty cheaply.

12. Nope sorry, I just found that pic while I was looking for a pic of a box like the one I saw in the local upullit yard to post in this thread. I fell in love with the darn thing but nothing I could do would get me ahead enough bread to go get it. I would love to have gotten my hands on it and made a trailer out of it till I talk a friend of mines neighbor out of a '56 F-100 with a purfect cab. Like I said, that pic makes me feel a little sick.

13. fitzee

fitzee

Ya was looking at a few cars but nothing that I could get on the road with not too much work. So Bill talked me into it. Our plan is to be ready for 4 days of rain!! I can`t seem to go for any long halls in that thing without getting wet!! But It will be a time we won`t forget!! Want to go in a run in it!!I better watch it at the nats the Police might take it on me!! Let just say it is a fun car. No room for storage,this is why I`m build a small trailer.

Went through my collection of stuff and found stub axles from a AMC,set of flush mounted tail lights,and a 4x8 trailer frame. need to dig out a set of wheels. So far I need to buy a hitch and set of fenders.

14. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Anyone ever build a trailer for a T-bucket out of another T-bucket tub? I swear I saw one when I was younger... seems like kind of a cool idea.

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...took me more than a year but success at last. ;)
    I'm all about the adventure of hauling interprovincial ass in a big block Modified...we can deal with the potential moisture.

(Or I can hitch a DRY ride home with Chris...NOT my T bucket! Hahaha :D)

16. How about a Little Guy?!

[​IMG]

17. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

Attached Files:

18. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Not too Hot Rod but different.

Here is the trailer for the local MOPAR club.

Wisconsin Mopar Muscle Club.

Attached Files:

19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks for all the nice comments about the "fridge". :)

It pulled great behind the bucket, even at high speeds. The door seal would leak a bit if we drove in heavy rain, but you could always make a vinyl cover to pull over it.
    The little door at the back (bottom) gave me enough room for a jack, tool box, and a few spare parts. It was separated from the main part of the fridge by a steel panel, which was nice.

Unfortunately, the trailer sat unused outside for 11 years after we sold the bucket and it deteriorated enough that we ended up scrapping it. :(

20. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the info, wish there were more... LOL. I stole your picture and posted it on another thread that you might dig here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306074&highlight=telephone

21. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

I didn't what to post a picture of someone else's car but this link has a few trailers.
    I have a friend that used Speedways mini T body another that had a NTBA plate mounted in a receiver and when removed he had a framework that fit in the receiver with a trunk on it (like a trunk on the rear of a model A). Me, I had my shit strapped to the bed lid and used UPS for what else didn't fit. If this is a bucket and you're going to Dayton good luck. I know, do a intro.
    http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/gallery/index.asp

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Went through my collection of stuff and found stub axles from a AMC,set of flush mounted tail lights,and a 4x8 trailer frame. need to dig out a set of wheels. So far I need to buy a hitch and set of fenders.[/QUOTE)

Are you sure you dont have the trailer body in the pile as well lol! Does this mean Bill wont have Back In Black going either? Maybe you should be making a removable roof as well :D

23. I pull this one all over the country

Attached Files:

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would work great and you could build it any size you wanted to.

Have the hubs match the car and you can carry a spare that will fit both.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

No, not gonna have it done. With all the extra rust repair that turned up and the total lack of help on the mechanical front (despite it being bargained for in advance!) I just can't pull it off.
    I fully intend to keep hammering away at it until done and I now have many of the mechanical parts in my shop to do the brakes and suspension.
    I'm hoping to at least get a run or two late this summer.

I really should have checked the car out better, but it being already patched up in many places I missed the extent of structural damage to the underbody.
    All thats pretty much fixed now...but it ate up all the time for the external bodywork repairs to do it.
    Even Nfld winters are only so long....

But we're going to the Atlantic Nationals in a big block bucket anyway...so life is good. ;):D

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

As long as you guys make it thats all that matters eh:D Chad is working like a madman on the bubble top...gonna be close though, he kicked out all the customer cars this week to go full time at it!!

27. fitzee

fitzee

He is at it agian!! that cool. hope he makes it. I like Chad. We will be there don`t know if we will be dry or not.lol.

28. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent! Chad's a cool dude alright and i'd put money on it being done!

Can't get over this tonight...the guy who was SUPPOSED to be helping me do the mechanical stuff on the Dodge showed up tonight asking ME to make him a drag link for a customer project he's doing!
    In over 12 WEEKS he managed to show up to help ME for 2 frickin' HOURS...and now he wants me to make him a drag link?

Hmmm...let me think...
    No. :rolleyes:

29. fitzee

fitzee

No !!! you got to be kidding!! You tell him you`ll do it when you front end is done??lol

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think that might be pointless with the way he's been avoiding me
    I'm screwed now anyway so I'll do it myself.

Anywho...wasn't this thread about cool trailers??? :D

Wondering....anyone running luggage trailers without suspension and if you are then how do you find them?
    I'm thinking the unsprung vs sprung weight being so close on a small trailer that it might be a waste of money to even bother!