Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Studebaker questions..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, May 30, 2011.

1. Hey,

I have access to a 1950 Studebaker for my next build. I also have an '87 Crown Vic. My question is will the 302, AOD, and differential out of the '87 work in the '50? If so how much fabrication would be involved. The Studebaker has no powertrain at all. What do you guys think? Take on the project or pass?

Thanks!

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Plan on cutting the firewall waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back................

3. Thanks, do you suppose the body would fit overtop the Crown Vic.?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't plan on using the Crown Vic "chassis" under anything but another Crown Vic.
    The drivetrain is doable but the rearend may be too wide..

5. Okay, do you know what diff. would work. Camaro? G-Body?

6. 2 door or 4? Either way those cars can look great. Ever seen the one fabbed into a fenderless coupe? Great paint - looks black and very tasteful - R&C should do a feature on that car. Maybe I can find those pics.

7. Its a four door. Is there a market for parts if I were to part it out? Otherwise I will make it a custom.

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Rear end width that would work would mean you have to know your wheel/ tire offset.............................

9. All I know is I would want 6.70 Firestones and '53 Caddy caps.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well buy those first and find an 8" that will fit or cut an 8" or 9" to fit.............. as I did.............

11. Thanks!

12. How about a picture of the project?-MIKE

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That WAS a great looking car! I say "was" because, while it still exists, it has been hacked by the owner/builder into a topless car and painted a (IMO) bilious green. Damn shame........in it's original configuration in black, it was one of the most creative and well finished cars I have ever seen.

Ray

14. I didn't get it yet. I still need to find some way of transporting it, and I don't want to jinx the deal;)

15. Hi Ray,
    I'm thinking that Stude started lfe as a 4 door if I remember the comments from whatever magazine it was in. Never saw the car in person but the pics were remarkable!

And sad to hear it's been "changed". Ya got any pics of that thing? I'll search again. I've seen it here on the HAMB somewhere.....

16. Absolutely not.

The Vic is nothing more than a drive train donor for the stude. there is nothing in the world wrong with the stude chassis. It may need to be beefed a little and you will need to build motor and transmission mounts, as well as narrow the rear. That's called building a hot rod.

I don't know where nomadic is but if you are close enough to the KC metro I could probably be persuaded to show how to do that. Lots of old studes get later drivetrains it is not rocket science at all. Hell if I can do it anyone can.

17. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

1950 is a bit of a unique year for Studebaker. It will be either a Champion or Commander. The Commander used a larger 6 and has more room under the hood, longer front fenders, etc. The front suspension is OK, but again different even between Champion and Commander.
    It wasn't until 1951 that Stude brought out the V8 and the front suspension that lasted through until the end of production.