Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

There were alot of WRONG pieces on that so called B/FX car and he should have sold it as that's when two stupid people met.Wasn't worth that kind of money and who ever bid on it didn't know what they were looking at.

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Steves 65 Comet and Ed's 64 Comet in the Final this last weekend. Good Job. Comets dominating the strip. Awesome Good job Steve cant wait to catch up with you guys down in Bowling Green.

[​IMG]

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

A couple of Cool Comets in this months Muscle Car Review. The Robinsons Mercury 64 A/FX Comet.

[​IMG]

And one of my favorites Th 66 Gate Job Flip Top Mercury Comet Funny Car.Good job Daryl on the restoration.

[​IMG]

Thanks Roy For letting me know, I've been so out of it lately due to everything I would've missed it.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;not a problem!!! I just thought it may help take your mind off of things for a little while!!! Great video,did Steve win,I couldn't tell! ROY.

5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Roy Ed ended up winning. I guess they had a couple rain delays and such .That final was 14 hours of waiting. From what I heard Steve was #1 qualifier running his number all day but after such a long wait had a little bit of tire spin and lost a 10th and thats all it took. There races are always that close.

6. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Kens right , got runner up. Was a great race, two Comets in the Finals. Ed was on his number all day also, Was #2 then got bumped to #5 in 2nd. round qualifying, not much hook on the line at this track. Crazy long day with rain delays, line blew on the track drier, Dan Woods 68 CJ Mustang blew a lower rad hose, spun around and crossed the line at 3/4 track just missed the wall and the Jersey Duke. Finals ended just after midnight. I put a video on YouTube of qualifying.

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

That was a GREAT video you posted!!

I got a chance today to deal with the aftermath of last weeks PSCA win, with the problematic Edelbrock water pump that threatened to keep me out of the finals. This is after a removal, clean-up, and re-gasket, and the leak seemed to have come back exactly where it was on the first time. You can actually see where the radiator stop leak started to dike up the hole, between the metal backing plate on the pump. This is between the two allen bolts that are only accessable when pump is off. Time to throw this old unit away, which has low time, and try a new unit? I also removed the thermostat, thinking the excessive rpms were inducing backpressure on the system, even with two 1/8th inch holes in the high flow Stewart unit. Any thoughts? Maybe just pull the trigger and go electric? The last two races have almost been washouts due to this nagging little problem. Can I not see the obvious? Thanks for any help for this slowly learning Blue Oval newbie.

Dale
    [​IMG]

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I hate the pumps with the backing plate!! On my 351W powered Van I used to glue the gaskets[both sides]to the plate,had good luck doing it that way.My Comet has the pump with no plate,never had any issues with it in 44 years.Don't buy the Edelbrock pump that is supposed to fit our early engines,it is wrong,has holes for bolts that do not exist in the early covers.I bought one not knowing this,sent it back after talking to them,they said it will fit,WTF!!! ROY.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;looks like a good race! Was the track cold and damp?How did the Comet run,other than spinning the tires?I'm getting nervous as the date for me to leave for the NHRR is closing in and I still don't have an engine or clutch!!!! ROY.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I can't find the You Tube qualifying videos! Got a link? ROY.

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Looking good "SNIPER"

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Roy, Track was cooling down, and got out of the grove at the 1/8 from the tire spin. Car was running real good. Hope you can still make Bowling Green, need to turn the heat up on that machine shop.LOL

Ken, Thanks for posting link, and the pics.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;one of the big hurdles is the clutch/flywheel,it has been three weeks,still no word!!! I'm crewing on an Altered this weekend so won't get back on engine assembly until Monday. Your Comet looks/runs awesome!!! ROY.

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Nothing like whooping on the Mopars. Good job Todd

[​IMG]

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

That Gremlin behind the '65 Comet looks enticing.....:D

17. Nice shot at EnglishTown.

Attached Files:

18. Can't seem to get enough cool Comet photos! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  19. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

20. [​IMG] __________________

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What's the story on this 65 B/FX Comet?

22. skywolf

skywolf

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

That guys Facebook link is just flat amazing! Those Safari Comet photographs are incredible. The cars are just beat all to hell, but still doing brodies areound turns out in the middle of nowhere... Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing that!

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Great Albums!!! Those pictures from Carlsbad Raceway in CA.,are great,that place was always known for quick passes as it was almost at sea level.It really went down hill in its later years,for good reason,why spend money when you know you are on borrowed time!! ROY.

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Our last time at Carlsbad was one to remember. A large group took our cars down , as they were slated to 'finally' close. They had kicked friend Dave Stoker off the track for running too fast without a rollbar, and friend Chuck McCain was about to make a pass, but we did not know that he switched off with his daughter in the staging lanes to allow her to drive their wicked little Nova. Not the best place for a first attempt at drag racing. She ended up putting the car into the dirt, spinning out as she tried to make the first turn out, thinking it was a return road (not, if some who have raced there know!) We all hopped the fence, as no one at the starting line saw what happened. They just continued with the next cars, and the twerp on the hill passing out timeslips was just picking his nose, or smoking the peace pipe. They saw up jump the fence, and thats what stopped them, and when they found us next to the car, trying to get her out and calmed down, they were surprised!! They were such idiots! We got asked, or told to leave after a few exchanges. It was a looong drive home.....

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;that sounds like Carlsbad alright!!! A bunch of us went down there towards the end,you were completely on your own!!! I can't imagine being a rookie there as NOBODY paid any attention to what was going on!!!That return road was a real joy with a low race car!!!! For years that was a fast track,although I can't imagine running a fuel car there,scary!!!! ROY.

27. Lets not forget...how cool & tough the '64 Comet ragtops looked at the old drag-o-ways! They sure made some nice race cars! :)

Attached Files:

28. Great lookin' black & white shots of Wally Bells "Thunderball"....:)

Attached Files: