Register now to get rid of these ads!

6400 rpm and a big bang... 700r 4 went bye bye! Wordy story!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BCR, May 30, 2011.

1. BCR

BCR

Memorial weekend 2011..

Well, I had the weekend to my self and my son. The wife and daughter went to a Taylor Swift concert.

I was going to work on the 40 Chevy (customers car) on Saturday morning as I already have the 64 Falcon Sprint done to go to Goodguys this next weekend in Loveland but I decided to work on the roadster (my car)instead.

[​IMG]

Cory, Kyle (no pics yet), and I were going to drive our cars
    (25 Dodge roadster pickup Cory's car)

[​IMG]

out to Goodguys... do a two lane deal and stop at all the small town stuff with the families in tow, so I needed to get the Roadster ready.

Change oil, check wheel bearings, check fluid levels, shake all the suspension...you know just check it out.

I started to mess around with the carbs after I cleaned the car up and decided to see if I made an improvement. I also messed with the rev limiter on the advice of the engine builder, 5500 to 6400.

Well I went north of town and wow...she was makin some horse power. Did a few launches to about 50 mph. Definatly gains some more hp between 5500 and 6400 after the cam change last year. Sounded good with the headers uncorked too.

Turned around to head back to town, I only went two miles so I wasn't that far out and slowed to a roll, floor boarded the olds, pedal to keeep it straight shifted the one two manually at 6400 and bang!!!!!!!! What the hell was that? (you all know what I mean, a million things race through your mind as to what you just screwed up and how much it will cost to fix!!) Immediately following the noise it shifted up to third so I just drove on back to town ( I did mention the wife was out of town and all my buddies were at the lake so I ain't pulling over to diagnose this problem two miles out, ha ha) Made it to Ellis under pass and started to slow down and no go forward. Oh well only a mile to hoof it to the shop.

Called Drew and told him I would be late as the car broke. He said "great now mom will really be mad at you." Ha Ha she knew the risk of leaving me unsupervised.

Well I found one of the guys who works for me at the shop and he gave me a tow back to the shop. I pulled it in and left, promised Drew we would go fishing. O/t side note caught a lot of crappie at a farm pond, lots of fun! Got both of us sunburned which made Mom a lot madder than the trans, (don't mess with a Moms kids, even when it comes to sunscreen... my bad)

Fishing again on Sunday morning 8:00 to 3:00 (36 crappie, lots of fun to catch), moms home, party over.

Went and did all the Memorial day stuff this morning. Services at two local cemeteries. Thanks to all the service men and women.

This afternoon I tore into the roadster. A little trash in the pan but not too bad. I didn 't go any further than to pull the trans and take the pan off because I am auto trans idiot. I have rebuilt a lot of manuals but never an auto. Any guess as to what broke???

I still want to make the drive out to Loveland in my car (I can take another customers car but that is more stress)Yes it was dumb to rod the piss out of it a few days before leaving, sometimes I am not as smart as I need to be.

With Monday gone and leaving on Thursday morning I need a heavy duty 700r4 tomorrow or Wednesday. Mine does not have the electronics in it. I bought the car from Wingnutz and he said Shifts did the trans. (This is not a "blame the builder post", I broke it myself. It endured a lot of abuse as this has been my daily driver (when the weather allows) and I drive it hard when the opportunity presents itself. I put 5000 miles on it last year.

My options are a little limited with the timeline so I think I will call Chance transmission it Wichita tomorrow to see if they have one on the shelf. Anyone have experience with them??

Can a converter be flushed?? The fluid had a little color to it but didn't smell burnt.

Just rambling !!! Any advise, heckling, sympathizing will be appreciated.

Mike

2. BCR

BCR

Kinda set on the overdrive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Find a stocker on Craigslist, stuff it in, drive to GoodGuys. Take it easy, when you get back home rebuild the stocker to your specs.

5. sy1356

sy1356

I would say that either the input drum, sun shell or forward clutch sprag broke. Either way it will have to come apart. Goodluck.

6. DOES IT MATTER???? Its broke.....fix it or replace it....Oh did you ask your tranny guy about the 6400 redline?? Early 700r4's had serious sun shell problems, aftermarket ones are 10X stronger......

7. Deuces

Deuces

No comment! :rolleyes:

8. gtkane

gtkane

If the sun shell broke, you would only have first and third gears. No second, fourth or reverse.
    If the forward sprag crapped out, you can get all the gears, but you have to really wind it out and shift it manually.
    I'm thinking the 2-4 band popped.

9. BCR

BCR

Well, I just got off the phone with Chance transmissions in Wichita and will have a hd replacement in the morning. Thanks for the comments. Mike