Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dr. John

Dr. John

Dave was one of Lancaster Speedway's top Late Model drivers in the early 1970s. In 1971 alone, he won seven features at Lancaster (N.Y.) Speedway and finished third in the final point standings. He graduated to the Modified ranks in 1972. -- John Bisci

http://lockportjournal.com/obituaries/x832130577/David-C-VanValkenburg-Sr
    David C. VanValkenburg, Sr.

Thu May 19, 2011, 07:06 PM EDT

LOCKPORT — David C. VanValkenburg, Sr., passed away on May 18, 2011, under the care of Niagara Hospice. Born on Nov. 28, 1945 in Buffalo, N.Y., he was the son of Clare and Viola (King) VanValkenburg.
    David was a plumber and steamfitter for Local 22, formerly known as Local 129, retiring in 1993. He also was a stock car driver at Lancaster, Ransomville and Holland Speedways (in Western N.Y.) in the 1970s, which he enjoyed.
    David is survived by his children, Kaylynne (Calvin) Bohm, David (Kim) VanValkenburg, Jr. and Courtney (Shawn George) VanValkenburg; grandfather of Kylie VanValkenburg Madison George and soon, Peyton George.
    A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Monday, May 23 at 10 a.m. in All Saints Parish at St. Patrick's Church, 76 Church St., Lockport. Donations to Niagara Hospice, 4675 Sunset Dr., Lockport, NY 14094 would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. arcarace

arcarace

Maybe someone can help me here. I while back there was a site that showed a complete frame up retorarion for a well known 1970 Chevelle. Can anyone lead me to where i can find that article? Thanks for the help.

Rick (aracarace)

3. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Pictures grabbed from the Southern Ground Pounders race

May 20, 2011
    Wake Co. Speedway
    Raleigh, NC

If you ever get to see this touring division at your local track, make the trip!

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Indybigjohn. Got to tell you about the last few days around here. Joyce and I went to Holman/Moody in Charlotte and toured the shop. We met Lee Holman,took pics,got the t-shirt,got the jacket and a license plate. AWSOME! Then tonight Darel Dierenger jr came over and we looked at old pics and scrap books all evening. He has so much memorbilia that it would take a solid day to take it all in. Lots of 50's and 60's pics,cards,trophies,pins and you just name it! Might be sitting on some big money if he ever decides to sell it all. If I ever figure out how to post oics on here you will freak out. Hope all is well,Tom.

5. 35racer

35racer

QUOTE=arcarace;6582904]Maybe someone can help me here. I while back there was a site that showed a complete frame up retorarion for a well known 1970 Chevelle. Can anyone lead me to where i can find that article? Thanks for the help.

Rick (aracarace)[/QUOTE]
    I believe the article you are looking for is on the website for the late model hall of fame. www.nationaldirtlatemodelhof.com
    It's a very interesting read for sure. Enjoy

6. 35racer

35racer

Maybe somebody can help me here also. I grew up in Columbus, Indiana and went to Brownstown Speedway regularly. My parents owned a propane gas business and we delivered to all the great heros including, Russ and Gene Petro, John Warner, and Paul Crockett. So I am lookiing for photos of Brownstown late models from late 60's to mid 70's. Particularly Gene and Russ had cars that were blue on one side and white on the other that I loved and in 1966 Gene ran the qualifying race for the Daytona 500 in car number 06 which I believe was a Ford and I would love to find a picture of that also. I have been racing here in Arizona for 31 years now and these guys are still my heroes. Thanks and God I love this thread. It took me 3 days to go through all the pics and read it all.

7. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

I'd love to freak out and see more pictures too!!!!

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat> Attachments and Images</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>How do I attach a file to a post?
    To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
    On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
    To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
    Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
    In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?
    If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
    To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [​IMG] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Tommy. Love your avatar.

Is DD Jr. still driving in that series up there?

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That series is just about done. I think they have three races confirmed. Darel just sold his truck to a guy in Texas and is getting out. I'm trying to convince him to build a replica galaxie or merc for the street.

10. PHFJR62

PHFJR62

Here is what I have found........PHFJR62

11. skull

skull

the 04 is dads 1966 chevelle on the old elma, washington 1/2 mile dirt in 1978.

Later:cool:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  12. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Another picture from the Southern Ground Pounders race.

Winner!

13. Falconred

Falconred

A couple from GA International.

14. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Ron Zarpentine still has his '65 Galaxte Late Model, from the late '60's. Took this pic this past week,in his driveway. Ron raced at Spencer Speedway(NY)

15. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

I missed GI GI 101 and 102 by 2 years or less. They where bought from a guy in Wisconsin Rapids and was said they both went to ILL. The cars where of coupes 30's 40's models chevys. My uncle owned 101 for a wail. Anyone seen or know where they are? The cars raced in the 50's and 60's.

16. 2nd Back Car

2nd Back Car

I would like to know who had the pictures of a 1967 mustang #6 in the woods in Medford Wisconsin, a former Jim Back car.

17. GranTorino72

GranTorino72
    from Montreal

18. jrose7004

jrose7004

19. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Grew up in Brownstown/Vallonia. My father sold programs at the track for the exchange club when I was a boy. I went on to race bombers,street stocks and modifieds for quite a few years... I remember the old days well. Petros had mopars,Mull, Claud Kern,Crockett,Isley,Curry,Godsey Crockett and his imfamous chevelle.. the list goes on. I am not sure I have any pics from back then but I do know someone who might... If come up with them I will post.

Shoe

20. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Haven't posted here in awhile......

Here's an oldie - Bernie Coppock in his # 98jr. It's a 1960 Ford at Kil-Kare Speedway in Xenia Ohio - photo taken 1966.

Enjoy,

the Oldtimer......

[​IMG]

21. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Leroy Saalinger heading out onto the track at Heidelberg Pa for a feature race in May 1964. He stepped into the car after the original driver was dis-qualified because he did not have PRA certification. The 56 Ford was owned by Jack Englehart and featured a 427 side oiler.

22. jmh

jmh

Any more H-berg??!! John

23. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Not sure if LeRoy has any more pictures of Heidelberg. If he has them, I'll post them. I do have pictures from various dirt tracks in the area where he ran modifieds. As soon as I get the details, I will post these in the 60's - 70's vintage oval track modified thread.

24. Falconred

Falconred

OK, Just forget about the cars in the background, the nut in the forefront is vintage HAMB, 1949 model.

This is early in my photographic career at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, GA. That shirt with Bud Lunsford on it was made from one of my photos.

Whoops, I was going to show the Lunsford photo until I realized it was too new for this forum.

25. Falconred

Falconred

I figured I had better post something to see if my ugly mug had broken the topic.

Larry Hess signing autographs at Atlanta in 1965

# 34 a Local limited car 1970's owned by Jackie Jones and driven by "Beanflipper" Barnett

# 97 This was what we considered a "Late Model" when I first got involved with racing. Frank Painter owned and driven by Russel Burnett

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

Falconred,
    I'd love to see a bunch of those early NDRA style LM cars from Woodstock and around the South. Love those cars before they started getting too aero and distorted.
    Joel

[email protected]
    www.JFNStudios.net

27. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

ASA , Milwaukee. Check out the guy in the flag stand.

28. mercury jeff

mercury jeff
    from brownsburg

Do you have more photos . I wood like to see them . My dad race Asa in the late 70's . Thanks for showing the photos .

29. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

easy now. don't get anything to new. supposed to be around '65 or so and older. i love your pictures but i don't want the thread to get shut down. thanks

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Looks like you got my best side in that photo, sm66p. BTW, go to trackforum.com, and check the Danny B's area. We've got a stock car thread going there for up through the years. I haven't been able to post lately, but we welcome all comers.