Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

yea and the top picture is ottis in his only car iv ever seen on the show..

2. stratocharger

stratocharger

I thought I'd put some here of my Dad, he was an athlete in his younger days as well as ran a crap game to put him self through Univ. of Alabama in the '30s. He coached the boxing team there and can be seen refilling the Rad. on the Jalopy below. He was on the Football team there with (not yet) Gov. George Wallace, Chuck Connors (of Rifleman fame) and some other quite notable folks from that era...
    He joined the Army Air Corp. Pre USAF, and was in Australia on Dec. 7th, having an inkling of the coming conflict. He served as a Medic in New Guinea, and one day while I was watching a TV show on the P-38, he stopped while walking through my room, looked at the screen and pointing to a tent off the side of Henderson Field said, "That one was ours".
    He survived the war, unlike many of his buddies, to have a near 40 Yr. Career as a Sports Journalist for the S.F. Chronicle, using the name Jack Fiske. He covered the Giants, the Seals and most notably Boxing.
    R.I.P. Dad.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

the mods have let this thread come this far and so far have been pretty generous, dare i say that many were not pre 65, i would like to see some of those pics, maybe you can post a link if you have a flickr or other place, otherwise i think most folks here would not be offended, believe me you'll know if a pic is out of place,

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2, Love Janis!!
    Doc.

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Novadude55 [​IMG]
    the mods have let this thread come this far and so far have been pretty generous, dare i say that many were not pre 65, i would like to see some of those pics, maybe you can post a link if you have a flickr or other place, otherwise i think most folks here would not be offended, believe me you'll know if a pic is out of place,

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    John's right (and I echo Doc, too!). It seems the moderators interpret the title of the thread to mean the rather distant past, as opposed to a drop-dead cut-off year.:eek: And, in that respect, it's a little different thread, covering the whole experience of society and pop culture, of which rods and customs have been a part. A thread this big does not fly under the radar; it's here because Ryan and the other editors must feel it has merit and relevance to HAMB values.:cool:

Off hand, I think we've seen a fair number of shots from the later '60s, the '70s (and, I dare say, a bit later). It seems to me that photos should be older BUT ALSO RELEVANT.;) Jimi Hendrix started in the music biz before '65, but we have a lot of pix of him later when he hit super-stardom. Likewise, Janis did some of her best stuff after fronting for Big Brother. And we couldn't have gotten by with all the popular THEN-AND-NOW combos if the newer shots didn't relate directly to shots of obvious vintage nature. Some rail-bird wet blanket pops up here every few weeks and criticizes "OT" content:mad:, but it's the moderators' opinions that matter:cool:, and they WILL advise us if we go too far astray!:eek:

So in addition to scads of car, truck pix, they have tacitly allowed everything from Charles Atlas muscle-building comic book ads of the past to tasteful cheesecake (vintage), to our Christmas pix of us and our families, '50s and '60s drive-in theater movie schlock, current celebrity obits, street and building shots from cities and towns, steel mills, steam dredges and traction engines ... whew!:p Heck, "Bullitt," "Vanishing Point" and "American Graffiti" were all released AFTER 1965. Yet they address themes relevant to vintage 'rods, muscle cars and customs:cool:, and they star folks who were in entertainment before '65. So, "technically" goes so far, and then Ryan and the moderators decide what seems HAMB-relevant.:)

Really, if you trust your own gut, you can't go too far wrong.:rolleyes: And most regulars and visitors have a good enough feel for what feels right ("vintage") on the thread that it's sort of "self-policing." If someone gets a little off the mark, regulars will steer you right without beating you up (not too bad, anyway!:D LOL). But do watch more carefully when posting car/truck pix, the farther you go after '65:rolleyes:. A former regular got into a bind for that and is no longer a HAMBer. The HAMB is a car/truck forum. If your gut says a photo or comment doesn't fit the theme of the HAMB or the thread, it probably doesn't.

Oh! And if we ever have a SLOW day on this thread, NO WORRIES! We have Chryco to BUMP it back to the top!!!:D:D:D

6. noboD

noboD

I echo everything said so far, hope there's no drama if you post pics of Janis. I was listening to her scream in the shop just yesterday, ain't no one ever had a voice like that!! You GOT to love her.

7. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Hats off and heartfelt thanks to all our veterans over all the years. We can't exactly have a parade on the HAMB, but we can look back at some oldies. Don't forget the contributions and sacrifices by the nurses as well.

8. A Salute and Thank You to all of or Veterans.

Picture of my Dad, WWII.

[​IMG]

9. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

10. <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lTd4qDaIiHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

12. Couple pix of my Dad. CPO US Navy WWII
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

14. map

map

My Dad the day before D-Day he's 86 and still with me living on the farm and enjoying life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Thanks Mctim!!!

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

A thank you to my Dad and my wife's Dad and to all who have served and sacrificed............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. I know the "Shore Patrol" wa s looking for these 2 gus before the night was over Dad, and his buddy,,,

18. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Unknown soldier somewhere in So Cal. Car is a '33 Packard (1006). With the following on this thread, someone might even recognize the man!

19. empire

empire

Great photo of the SR-71, do you have any more ?

Would love to see...:):):)

20. stratocharger

stratocharger

SR-71?.. Sure do!
    Thanks guys. I'm currently I'm editing and separating my photos into specific folders so it may take a bit..
    I love anything Kelly Johnson! Talk about an American Hero. But, i'm just finishing up my "R U Experienced" folder... so, being as today is the memorial holiday, I'll be back with some relevant to today... Stay tuned.. Moving on to Ford vs. Ferrari and Vette vs. Cobra folders now...
    Thanks again for the input... I feel a lot better about extending the time line forward a bit... say, mid '70s?..
    :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/BOTEDnQ4Fvk

21. stratocharger

stratocharger

Some more from that folder...

22. stratocharger

stratocharger

OK, back to the other side of the coin.. Not sure how serious i can or should get here, I will attempt to post pics honoring those that served without getting all political though on the subject of WAR, that's like going swimming without getting wet.

23. stratocharger

stratocharger

No doubt some will be offended, I can't help that. I think it's important to remember why we have to be ever vigilant against threats from within as well as without.
    I feel these pictures are "Holy" and I mean that in the most serious way I can impart.
    Many Thanks!

24. stratocharger

stratocharger

Trying here to stay away from the simply pedantic photos of which there are many, to focus on those which give rise feelings which need to be felt in order to appreciate the life and choices which are ours to make and so, so very hard won by those whose shoulders we stand upon, those who serve and gave of themselves.
    Some were not in any uniform.
    Too preachy?.. I hope not.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'll add, THANKS AGAIN VETS!!! AND, let's hear Janis sing a tribute to them: "Piece o' My Heart"!

Play it! You'll see what I mean.

26. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

If it wasn't for the people, places, events, items, etc depicted in the pictures in this post, our lives would have no value - These are the things that influenced our ancestors - good and bad - It is what made each of us what we are today and it influences who are children and their children will be - again good or bad.

27. Ditto.
    I hadn't heard that extended version with the trumpet solo in the middle before. Stirring stuff.

This is what hot rodders listened to back in the day. The whole rock'n roll thing came much later.

28. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Vintage California, 1959.

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This is my uncle, we think somewhere in Belgium in the spring of 1945. He was killed nine days before VE day.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.