Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects father+son 62 falcon project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Navigator 23, May 29, 2011.

1. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

my dad and i had been looking for cars for me for awhile. originally i was looking for a t-bucket, but i recently struck up an interest for 50's-60's customs.

we looked for 63 ford falcon wagons for a couple months and researched them for awhile. but eventually i started looking more for 2-door falcons. then it became apparent that rust free falcon deals that were what i was looking for were hard to find. one day we found a 62 falcon four-door in irving, texas that was virtually rust free and looking fairly stock. we looked into it and i finally decided it was what i wanted.

so we contacted the guy and with in a couple of weeks the car was sitting in our yard courtesy of Ben DeLozier.

for now the goal is to get the car running well and safe enough to drive daily. although an additional goal has been set, see how efficient we can make it.

the long term goal is to create a cool mild-custom falcon that i can drive while im still in high school. i want the color to stay pretty close to the stock red. but i would also like to add some sort of scallop and lace top possibly. still undecided. i will also lower the front by about a coil and a half. wheels are going to stay the same except the caps are going to be baby moons with skinny white walls. ill shave some trim including the FORD letters and the gun sights. havent decided on the grill but it will probably be customized with some cabnet knobs. interior will be white with red inserts (pretty stock)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

some more pics:

hey photoshoppers im up for ideas on the paint scheme

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's my boy!

This should be fun. Looking forward to it.

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

That looks a lot like my '62 Tudor when I got it, especially the gas tank. 'Cept mine was worse. The guys at Bel-Kirk Mustangs in Bellevue Wa. told me about swapping out my 16 gallon tank for a '67 Mustang 22 gallon one, with the sending unit. They sell both reproduction. It was a bolt-in with the only mods being rerouting the filler hose. It was a little tricky but turned out great. I cut a coil out of the front springs, and put in 2" lowering blocks and it sits pretty good, (Check my photo album) You can also do a "Shelby Drop" up front by drilling new upper A-arm mount holes 1" lower, and 1/4" rearward. should drop it down about 2".

5. Willy301

Willy301

I have a 63 2dr ht... great little cars, should be a fun build!

6. Good on ya, great little cars and a lot of fun, Ive been right into early falcons since I was about your age,dad and me did my first one up together as well. All the best with your build;)

7. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

8. Congrats on your buy.
    Its great to see kids interested in old vehicles,also it's great to see HS kids that can spell and write a sentence that make sense.
    I hope you have a great experience building your car with your pops.
    My hats off to you for not wanting a honda and wearing pants under your butt.
    Have fun.

9. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

good luck and enjoy.tell your dad how lucky he is.my son's idea of helping is telling me what he wants done then picking it up when im finished.im getting ready to start on the 63 futura i was helping my dad with years ago when he passed away.

10. Deadbird

Deadbird

Thanks for the kind words guys. Jesse's a great kid. He has his head screwed on straight, works hard, gets good grades, has a great sense of humor and makes his dad proud. Plus he's plays a mean guitar and is a pretty darn good rookie pinstriper! Am I bragging? Maybe a little. ;)

Boeing Bomber - Are you thinking that someone swapped the gas tank on this Falcon? We were wondering when we pulled out that old carpet. It looks newer than the rest of the trunk. How can we tell the difference?

As you can see from his pics, Jesse spent the better part of Sunday cleaning out the nasty interior. Had to get that out before the car goes in the garage. Need to keep the critters out. Anyone see Irving?

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Good stuff! That kid is a ok in my book

12. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Cool Jesse! Just don't let the old man start slacking off on building his bike.

13. Perfect first car. Sounds like a good plan. Going to watch this thread for sure. Hope to see it in person before too long. Is the A/C staying? The compressor is almost as big as that six in there.

14. customs by jason

customs by jason

great start. cant wait to see this car come together

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Great start guys!I love the round falcons.I had a 62 myself that I miss to this day.Be very careful of the hood where the hinge bolts to it.I have found that if they sit this area will rust.If you pull up to hard it will break off(ask me how I know).SDBcivic on here has a 4 door parts car that he is selling stuff off of if you need anything PM him.Good luck.

16. Falcons, great cars to learn with, simple well built, have a lot going for em.
    My first car was a 60 sedan, had heaps of fun with it, and have been consistently driving Falcons for the last 10 years.
    Good luck with it.
    Kyle

17. Congrats, Jesse!!! Thanks for starting a build thread so we can all "supervise". You've already gotten some great advice and that's only the tip of the iceberg - just wait.

Lee, you're a cool Dad. Oh, is Irving the rattlesnake skull? Is that gonna be an avatar, too?

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I will back Dad up 100%. Jesse is a very nice young man, and pulls some pretty nice lines as well. We are very proud to have been able to help out with his first project.

19. Deadbird

Deadbird

Possum. I think Jesse's found a co-pilot. :eek: Might keep the girls away for awhile.

20. you got a great start there! Looks like you'll be stylin in high school!

21. My first car was a 62 Falcon too! I swapped the grille for a 63 though. I thought the horizontal lines looked better than the 62 grille. Here's a couple of pics. Good luck on your project. And remember, have fun! [​IMG][​IMG]

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Congrats bud! I'm really looking forward to watching the build process.:cool:

23. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

thank you everyone for your comments.

blacktopbuddah: no we are going to try and sell the ac. it seems like a cool feature to have on these. the compressor turns freely, and the only thing wrong with it is the plastic vent covers are pretty dried up. it should work great though.

i hope to get more pics up as we go along. just got to keep steady work on it. its shaping up to be a great car to mess around in.

24. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Hey everyone I realize I haven't been on in awhile because of the summer schedule but I have been working on the car consistently for the past couple weeks now. When we got car, only the drivers side door latch worked properly so to start with, I pulled out the passenger side latch and saw that one of the stock springs was rusted away. This allowed the latch mechanism to spin freely. So we decided that instead of buying a new door latch (since this one looked practically brand new) we would create a better way using a simple spring from the hardware store. I put it back in and it is working great.

Attached Files:

25. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

A couple nights ago we came across quite the surprise. We tested some rubbing compound on the paint just to see what would happen. The results were better than anyone would have guessed. Turns out the paint shines up nicely once all the dirt and oxidation are out of it. Our friend Jay loaned me a buffer and polishing stuff and i went to town on it. Unfortunately, the top of the right front fender has no more paint but other than that I'm pretty pleased with the results. Not bad for a couple days work.

Attached Files:

26. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Some more of the shine.

Attached Files:

27. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

The falcon needs some new seals for the hood because it was rubbing up against the back of the jam and every time I open the hood there was a loud bang. Originally we thought the hood just needed adjustment, but today we discovered a metal piece that screws into the jam was missing on the side that was making the noise. So I made an identical piece with a hack saw, a drill press, and some files (one of the many reasons old fords are better than new fords-you need a degree to make a part for a new ford :D) There's the original piece in two pictures and the new piece in one.

Attached Files:

28. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Dude, this is great. Congrats on the Falcon. It is sweet. I'm so glad that your working on this machine.

I have a 1962 Ranchero. It was a rust bucket when I bought it. But it was a runner and I've had the luxury of getting to drive it while I work on it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254755

This is my post on the Ranch, check it out.

Keep this thread alive, I love watching cars go from "Forgotten under the apple tree" to "Proud to drive the custom I did the work on."

Good Job.

29. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

WOOOO, wait up. Whats the story with the dried out old chimp skull you have on your fresh air vent?? Planning on hanging that from your mirror?

30. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Thanks. the ranchero looks awesome! It's actually a possum skull. It has kind of turned into the mascot of the project. I think I will bleach it and hang it from the mirror