Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road to Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Junk Ranch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Time to drop it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

I think there is enough room for 2 of these things in there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I made up some temporary motor mounts to hold the block in place, so we can take measurements and such. There will be a motor plate both in front & back of the block. the trans might just hang free for now.

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

4. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

This is the transmission we got fot it. It is a TEX T101. They use these in Nascar .Nice trans in that you can change the gears to suit your needs. I had an old Muncie M21, but the gear split is to wide. The car tends to fall on it's face between 3rd & 4th.

[​IMG]

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice ! Can't wait to see the finished product .

6. Looks good. We are on the hunt for a tranny for our lakester right now as well!

7. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

E-bay is where these came from . A friend of mine bought a pallet of parts & pieces from a Nascar team, then assembled 4 of them. 1 in a record holder Camaro :), 2 in the" Flying Pickel",broke one, dont ask. Not a record holder yet!:( The fourth in my car.

8. Looking good!

Keep us posted!

Sam

9. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Like the picture in the background, two ladies pushing a caddie

10. Cool, thanks for the tip.

11. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

The GMC fits perfectly. Lot's of room for the fuel injection, headers & the Moon fuel tank that will go in front of the motor on the crossmember.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Well, time for some updates. We are planning to run the blown alcohol motor next year, as it wont be ready for this August. So in the meantime, we bought this alcohol motor out of an old dragster. It threw a connecting rod , and was thrown in the scrap pile. We mainly just want to set the car up with it, so everything will be ready when the new motor is ready next year. Hope to get 3 or 4 runs with this motor, this year. So far , the naysayers say it will blow up the first run !
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of the motor plates we made, THANKS to BATTO FRUIT CO.

[​IMG]

This is the bottom end of the 302, actually about 320 c.i. Basically stock GMC stuff.

[​IMG]

Pistons are 14 to 1. O-ringed block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I am envious! Very cool...

14. :D:D:D:D:D WOW......have fun....

15. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

16. Greezy

Greezy

Very cool. Nothing wrong with buying a proven car.

17. Keep up the good work, love the sound of a nasty GMC running out there.

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice car Rocky. Just wondering if that is the braking system hanging from the transmission case in post 31??!!

Good luck with the car, I look forward to updates. Go FAST don't turn left!!!

19. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Well, Yes it is. Dont know if it will pass tech though ? :eek:

20. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats on a beautiful car with some great history. Love the 302 jimmy. Outstanding progress. ~sololobo~

21. das858

das858

The engine looks impressive, good luck.

22. brady1929

brady1929

23. inline 292

inline 292

That's the real stuff of Bonneville there! I just loved seeing all the variety of powerplants on display there. Congratulations on a good body/chassis find & keeping it in traditional power. I'm sure the previous owner is very pleased to see his old ride being taken care of properly.

24. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

Wow!!! that is too cool!!! That's some awesome compression. I know I shouldn't ask, but where did you get those main caps??? I bet they are pinned too!!! I should have thought of that before I bored my block. I'm only running at 314 cubes, 10:1. Should stop construction now and find another block. Dammm. I'm jealous.... btw... SUBSCRIBED!!!

25. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Here is the block in place for the first of many times in & out !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

Rocky...
    What are you going to do with the head? High lift Rockers?

27. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Our shop helper, college grad Clark, installing the head & wondering what he went to college for?

[​IMG]

28. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Like I said in an earlier post, this was a motor that came from an old dragster that someone broke a connecting rod in. They junked the motor after that, so I dont know much about it. It is just a test motor until the other GMC is ready next year. We are just throwing some parts at it to run it this year!

29. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Here's the Tilton flywheel installed. Redrilled Chevy unit by Batto Fruit Co. Some aircraft hardware, a little saftey wire & then the Tilton 3 disc clutch goes on. We put a little racing goo around the motor plate & back of the block to keep the salt out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. I ran Bonneville last year for the first time. The tech inspector told me that if I wasn't having fun, then I needed to pack up and go home. I stayed all week long. I'm still grinning when I think of it. We did not approach our record, but learned a lot, passed tech inspection and my rider got his rookie run in. Pretty much a success as far as I'm concerned. Considering the total population of the world, racing at Bonneville is a pretty rare thing indeed. God speed and be safe. Look for our Potter's Clay Ministries banner in the pits, we always have a chair and cold bevarage waiting for anyone who wants to visit.

Randy

Last edited: May 30, 2011