Register now to get rid of these ads!

carter quadrajet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, May 29, 2011.

1. Found one on ebay. its near me, but whats the deal with Carter quadrajets? I found on the internet that carter did that for Rochester when they couldn't make the demand for the carbs. where can I find a rebuild kit? will a regular Rochester rebuild kit work? what have I got here?

2. are you sure its not a thermoquad? ive never heard of a carter quadrajet

3. yeah defiantly not a thermoquad, I also read on the internet a minute ago that the carter versions take the same internal parts as the Rochester, it looks like carter may have just assembled the carb using Rochester parts, but the outside of the case looks different too, so I still could use some advice on this carb. hey squirrel, ya got any info?

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Carter made Q-Jets under license for GM back in the 70's after there was a fire at the Rochester plant. They were made with Rochester tooling and are identical to the Rochesters except they say Carter on them.

5. hmmm learn something new everyday

6. any idea's as to which cars they came on? which rochester they were? i need to get a rebuild kit

7. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

I had one on my 85' Dodge 4x4 pickup .....stone stock.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can find a kit with the model number on the carb easily enough. You might also find out what it fit by just doing a Google search of that number.

They could have fit anything that ran a Qjet in that time period.

9. gusonthebus

gusonthebus

I purchased a 1967 Chevelle Super Sport 396/325 that came from the factory with
    a Carter quadrajet. You could definitely tell when the back two came in.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  10. Joe H

Joe H

Whats the number on the drivers side rear, # xxxxxxx ? Get that and I might be able tell you what it came off of. I have a bunch of Rochester papers with all kinds of numbers and cross reference information.

Joe

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

The kits are the same for either carb. I have the master rochester books and can I.D. it for you if you like. P.M. me.

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

My brand new 1970 1/2 Camaro SS 350 had one.

Ago

13. inlinr6

inlinr6

Love Quadrajets!

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------
    Ditto on that. You beat me to it, is all:):)
    Mart3406
    =====================

15. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Cliff Ruggles talks about them in his q jet book. Same as Rochester.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Q-jet carbs are very good carbs ! I think people gave them a bad rap because they didn't take the time to learn how to rebuild them . I used them in my Chev years all the time and loved them ! Beat the Holley's anytime back then ! The ones on the BBC were the best ones to use . I think they were around 750 to 850 cfms ! The primaries were easy on gas but when you opened up those huge secondaries you knew it ! the Thermo-quad was a POS ! Had one on my 69 Super Bee and hated it . Changed it and never had a problem and rarely lost a race too !

Jim

bobkatrods likes this.
  17. carbking

carbking

Carter made millions of Quadrajets under license from GM. These were used as production. As Carter charged GM based on the number of units, after 1967 these were not seen on performance models (ie RA III and RA IV Pontiac). They carried the same numbers as the Rochester Q-Jet, and were virtually identical by identification number. The O.E. units carried the standard Rochester 7 digit (later units 8 digit) identification numbers.

Carter also produced aftermarket Q-Jets. These were sold as replacement units (never original equipment) and carried the standard Carter identification number (4 digits followed by the letter "S").

The Carter thermoquad or TQ was developed as a race carburetor in 1969. It was extremely successful, and was later detuned for street use. The TQ addresses the major performance deficiency of the Q-Jet (small bowl) with two bowls, each larger than the single bowl of the quadrajet.

Both carburetors are excellent street performers as well as excellent straight line racing performers. Both can be made to race around corners, but this does require some work.

As one poster mentioned earlier, the quadrajet got a bad rep because few tried to understand it. The same is true with the TQ, which is my personal favorite. And to the gentleman who "hated TQ's"; there are five distinct generations of the TQ. Generations 1 and 3 can be made to run very well or terrible depending on the experience (or lack thereof) of the mechanic. Generation 5 (smog) requires some mods to perform well.

The biggest disadvantage of both the Qjet and the TQ today is the lack of local availability of performance parts. Performance parts for both ARE readily available mail order.

Jon.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  18. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

had one on my 1972 gto

19. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I've also heard they are very sensitive about screw torque. The castings can warp if the assembly is over-torqued, or carb to manifold bolts overtightened, causing fuel and vacuum leaks. The castings can be permanently warped, so that carb may never work quite right again, even with a rebuild.

20. carbking

carbking

The QJets WOULD warp if the mounting bolts are overtightened; however, if one will look at the area where the warpage occurs, one will find that the Rochester engineers KNEW this would be an issue and designed the carburetor accordingly. Sometime look at the top of the bowl with the airhorn removed. You will see the mounting bolts go through "crush panels" where there is no fuel. Even the edge to bite into the gasket to aid in sealing is INSIDE the crush panels. I have seen some that looked pretty bad, but still functioned normally. The warpage does not cause either a fuel or vacuum leak.

I have worked on thousands of TQ's, and have yet to see a warped bowl. I have seen several that were split due to Dr. Goodpliers trying to pry the castings apart before removing all TEN body screws.

Jon.

21. customs by jason

customs by jason

dont mean to hijack this but can anyone tell me about the motorcraft four barrel carb i got one and it dont have the id tag on it i know there are two or three different four barrels by motorcraft i was gonna rebuild it and sell it or sell as is but dont really know what it came off or what model it is to order a rebuild kit. i got pictures if anyone thinks they can help thanks

22. customs by jason

customs by jason

this site has alot of different rebuild kits comes with everything you need and can help with any missing parts as well
    http://www.carbkitsource.com/

23. cool thanks everyone. I have yet to pick it up but we are going to pick it up next weekend. so everyone knows, its for my 55 bread truck, now with a 305, so its not for straight line performance, nor corner carving, its just gonna be a hard working bone stock (well sorta i tend to get what ever parts will work for the cheapest) low compression 305, and as long as it moves under its own power relatively well i am happy. I will be sending a PM for help with identification as soon as i have it in my grubby paws....

24. Deuces

Deuces

Quadrajets were also factory installed on the '71 429 powered Mustang Mach1's.. :rolleyes:

25. well guess i gotta just run the numbers when i get it, i love quadrajets, ya cant beat that sound when the secondaries open up... also CFM on demand is friggen cool too.. are any vacuum secondaries like that? or is it just qj's that do that?

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The best QJ I ever had came off a 68 Buick skylark GS that had a 350 with ram air,put it on a 350 sbc I had in a 67 C20 and wish I put another carb on the truck when I sold it

27. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

If you want more info on qjets, Cliffs high performance has a carb forum through his web site. Just like this forum, you can search and post topics, and you get first hand answers from Cliff. He offers "recipes" for how to set up your carb based on your engine. Good info there.

28. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

There were to locations in ST. Louis one on Grand and Olivette.
    My mom worked there 20 years at Carter. I remember her talking about both the QJets and all the others. She still goes to the reunions of the old Carters crew.
    I still see a lot of the her friends and hear the stories. I will try to find some old pics of the line and the workers.

29. yeah that would be cool i wanna see those pictures

30. bjarnklo

bjarnklo

Hey guys, hopefully your still around.
    I just got this Carter. its code is 47648.
    given the rochester codes it seems to be
    4- 60's
    7- 67
    6- verijet 2 brl.. this is incorrect
    4- Buick probably, got it from a buick guy
    8- Automatic
    but its surely a carter quadrajet as you can see from the pics.

Attached Files: