Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 100th Indy 500 race

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, May 29, 2011.

1. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

nothing like celebrating before it's over... fist pumped himself right into the turn 4 wall!

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I'm hearing that the finish is under review because of the yellow flag flying...

3. URY914

URY914

To finish first, first you must finish.....

4. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Can you believe the rookie leading the race, on the last turn of the last lap hits the wall? He'll remember that for the rest of his life!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

It will never be the race it was, but I do watch it every year. Glad Danica got a top ten finish and lead a few laps. She is the only driver with any name recognition.

6. What waste of time . Should call it the infomercial race . Split screen my arz 2/3rds commercial 1/3 race is more like it. Too bad the rookie celebrated before crossing the finish line. Seem to remember Mark Martin doing something like that a few years back on a yellow flag. Gotta pay attention & concentrate. Running low on fuel with 20 laps & wishing for a yellow isn't what I call racing. Hope the sprint cup race is better.
    Just my ol gumpy $.02

7. Live on ABC!! Was a rod run there in 75 that the Wife and I went to, high light of the weekend was we all got to drive 3 laps around the track with our 50 Merc!! Was behind a pace car to keep us all in check!!! LOL Still have my decal in my tool box, still have the Merc too!!! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    __________________Didn't mention if you still got the wife too!!!!! heh heh he I hope you do

8. DrJ

DrJ

Did the yellow flag, or lights come on?
    If so the field order should have frozen and the fact that the rookie did cross the finish line 'under his own power/momentum" should win.
    What a connundrum... It all rests on IF someone hit the caution before or after Weldon passed him.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No connundrum.

Attached Files:

10. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Good to see that!

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After watching the race---It was truly a SPECTACULAR FINISH!!
    I was cheering for the rookie to win, but not seeing any caution lights, I guess Weldon is the official winner!
    Danica drove a great race to finish in the top 10!!

Back in 1963 we went to Long Beach,Ca. sports arena to watch the Indy 500 on giant TV, this was the year FORD small blocks (OHC) were dominating INDY entrants.
    As race progressed there were so many crashes with wheels flying all over the track & so many yellow cautions, then the rains came & the race was cancelled to return again the next day to finish finally.---If I remember, it was Jimmy Clark from Ireland (?) that eventually won it!

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Thanks Doc for the vidoes,looks like a great race for sure

13. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Without looking, I do beleive Calhoun won in 63 with a fella named Parnelli at the wheel.

Clark in 65 maybe. First rear engine win

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, Clark won in 65 and he was from Scotland.

15. Deuces

Deuces

I just woke up from a power nap.... Who won???

16. You better go watch the highlites, you wont believe it.

17. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I watched the entire race up until the final 20 laps when the local weather people jumped on 'cause of bad storms. Missed everything. Whatever happened to the big jump that was suppose to happen after the race?

18. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, we're under a tornado watch till probably 8 pm.. :eek: I called my mom up and told her to go hang out in the basement.. Looks like a nasty one headed our way.. :(

19. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

We didn't get anything. Which I'm glad but I still wanted to see the end of the race!

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

The guy made the Big Jump, wonder how long it took to build the tower?

21. Jeez, really??? Did you see who all ran in this race? ALL veterans but maybe five of them. Obviously, you do not follow Indycars!

22. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

What he said. Golly! There were 2 Andrettis, Several multi winners. What could you want?

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I did up untill the series got killed years ago. Name one other driver that has dome anything to promote the event.:rolleyes:

24. And i thought that's what they paid promters to do:D. It is what it is and as far as i know you can't go back in time.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the rookie that crashed out on the last lap related to the speed equipment manufacturer from years ago? Ladies and Gentlemen start your Google searches..........

26. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

I'm known for being brutally honest, so I'm not going to deny that seeing Danica Patrick with the lead with under 10 laps to go was kind of inspiring... Sort of a bummer that her final pit stop, was definitely a set-back in her final positioning, resulting in her finishing 10th-- But hey, yeah, a "Top 10" finish in the Indy 500 is still quite a major motorsport accomplishment (whether you're a man or a woman)... Overall, I enjoyed watching the spectacle that is the Indy 500... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

hey, even a drag racin' respirator mask wearin' gal like me should appreciate the Indy 500...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  27. LBCD

LBCD

Over all it was great, the side by side restarts were great!

Seeing 3 wide and 4 at one point on a 2 wide track was crazy :eek:
    I wish the rookie won it...when I saw him trying to pass the slow ass lapped car up high I told my wife he is going to hit the wall...

28. Philbilly

Philbilly

I hate I missed it! Reading all the responses on here makes it sound like it was a great race. I will have to watch the highlights on speed.

29. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

ABC doesn't come in on our TV..didn't watch the it.

Wasn't it the 100th anniversary of the track, not the race...don't think they ran the event in 1917, '18 or '42, '43, '44 and '45...due to WWI & WWII.