Register now to get rid of these ads!

1/4" Aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rmak, May 29, 2011.

1. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

Here's a quick question. I bought a dash panel from the Hot Rod Co. that's made of 1/4" aluminum. I want to make some other parts of my dashboard to match, but I can't find aluminum in 1/4". 1/8" is the thickest at the local stores, and searching on the internet just finds wholesalers of large quantities.
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me a lead on some.

2. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Where in Ohio are you?

3. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

mcmaster car

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

try a local heating and airconditioning installer, I get a lot of drops from mine cheap too.

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

aircraftspruce.com. Sheets and tubing of various aluminum. Sizes from small to large.
    Also, a good source for 4130 tubing and sheets. There are others, but I have used these guys for many, many years. Quick shipping and reasonable prices.

6. EDPACECAR

EDPACECAR

7. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Try a local metal recycler. I've had good luck with a local recycler, both with aluminum and steel. Can't beat the price either.

Mike

8. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

Northeast, Akron/Canton/Alliance region.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying two 10" X 10" pieces from anyone here if you have some laying around.:D

9. Algon

Algon

If you are near Akron try Summit Equipment and Supply. http://www.summitequipmentandsupplies.com/ The amazing thing is in the abosolute chaos the place is, Bill the main salesmen will drag you directly to what you need 9 out of 10 times.

By the way they sell in small drops and/or will cut to size and deal in mostly Aluminum and Stainless by the pound.

10. Algon

Algon

There is is also Slesnicks in Canton but it is usually well worth it to drive right by them and take the trip to Akron

11. thaugen

thaugen

"try a local heating and airconditioning installer"

What do they use 1/4" thick stock for?

12. harley man

harley man

Local fab shop should have it.

13. Try Metal Supermarket, or similar.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I have no idea, not a hvac guy LOL, but all the bigger hvac places here have it.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick and no hassle is probably the local metal yard that buys aluminum scrap from the fab shops in the area. Usually there are some in the area that take scrap bins out to different shops and pick up the metal. I've picked up pieces of aluminum and stainless at one of the yards here that way. You find what you want, they set it on the scales and shoot you a price per lb. Fab shops that build stuff out of aluminum would be the second choice but some sell small pieces and some don't.

16. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

x2 I use them, I have a local supplier but a lot of times it's cheaper and easier from them even with shipping

17. I don't buy new metal for small jobs, and it sounds like you need a small quantity of 1/4" aluminum. Perhaps the biggest users of 1/4" thick aluminum plate would be builders of truck bodies and trailers. If there's a truck body/trailer builder in your area, I'd see whether they'd sell you small pieces out of their scrap/recycling bin, or find out who picks up their scrap for recycling and buy it by the pound from the recycler.