Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hydraulic Clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by htrod, May 29, 2011.

1. htrod

htrod

I am just about finished with my 31 Roadster. I went to bleed my clutch slave cylinder and found that when all is the air is gone I can hardly push in the clutch. I am using a 1961 Chevy dual master cyl and an unknown slave that fit my bell housing. Can anybody tell me what is wrong. Also I am using a set of old Ansen pedals that fit nicely.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I would venture to guess that the Dual master cylinder is not generating enough pressure easily (due to a large piston diameter). I would switch to a single chamber master cylinder design for clutches, not brakes.

Good Luck

3. First you need to verify that you can operate the clutch manually without the slave cylinder. Disconnect the slave from the arm, and try amd manually operate the pressure plate back/ clutch arm and forth.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. dbradley

dbradley

I'm trying to picture how you've hooked a brake m/c to a clutch slave..... Get a clutch m/c, they don't have internal valves, are correct volume, etc and are made for the purpose. And, you will need to know what that "unknown" slave is for.

5. htrod

htrod

I guess I need to explain that this master cyl is designed to do both Brakes and Clutch. The resivour is a common supply for the fluid, but each side works independently.

6. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the uninitiated. Regards, Ron

Attached Files:

7. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the compatible slave cylinder it'll work properly. Regards, Ron

8. htrod

htrod

Ron

The key is finding the right slave to go with this. The orig one mounts on the starter side of the block. Any Ideas.

9. Check mechanical items first:
    Can the pedal move the master fully?
    Does the fork move the throwout bearing properly?
    Does the master 'move' physically, when you press either pedal under pressure?
    If all is well, you need a larger bore slave cylinder.

Cosmo

10. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day we swapped the original slave cylinder to the Left with a fabricated bracket fastened with bell housing mounting bolts. Good luck.

11. Disconnect the slave from the transmission arm. Check each carefully to insure they operate and are not binding against each other.

Check to make sure you have replumbed it correctly with the brakes to the brake side & clutch to the clutch side.

Good luck

12. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

Use the bellhousing that came with car... why did you change it?

13. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

master was used as I said. Go to Napa and get a new one. Switch back to the bellhousing that was on the car when you got it, and all will be good.... Best wishes, Gary

14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A bunch of useless replys from people who have never used this system !
    1 Did you swap the internals of the M/c side to side?
    2 The pedal set has not been modifyed with shorter arms ?
    3 Measure the bore of the slave needs to be 1&1/16 to work properly with this M/C.
    4 If the above check out I would then check out the T/O fork for free movment with a big lever/prybar etc.
    I'm running the same setup with a H/D 10.4 cover and have a nice easy pedel .

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been using this setup out of 1961 econoline Ford since 1968--works great!
    I think your problem is in the slave cyl. match up with master cyl.bore.

Attached Files:

16. what is the bore diameter of the slave cylinder? how do you have it setup? pictures?

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I had the same setup on my Tbucket - switch guts - make sure the slave is the correct size - and be sure the fluid lines are sized right. Worked great!!

Attached Files:

18. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like has been said - assuming you've got the brake residual in the correct bore for your pedal setup - you have two options: keep the slave you have and sleeve down the master clutch bore to work with that slave, or find a slave that will work with the master bore diameter that you have.

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Just a quick question, maybe a dumb one.
    On the master cyl. the brake is labeled on the left hand bore & clutch on the right hand bore.
    When using the Ansen pedals the clutch actuates the left bore & the brake the right bore. Do you have to take the cyliders apart and swap the internals from one side to the other side?
    Thanks Duane

20. Dennis D

Dennis D

Yep.