Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help finding a 3/4-20 pinion shaft nut.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billj, May 29, 2011.

1. billj

billj

I am changing the ring & pinion on my ford 8 inch and a professional was setting up the tolerances and shims and lost the pinion shaft nut. We are trying to find one and hope someone might have any ideas. Must this be a grade 8 or something of that nature?

Thanks for any help, Bill

2. Deuces

Deuces

Not sure if one from a newer 8.8 pinion nut might work... If so, you could get a new one from a Ford dealer parts dept....

3. oj

oj

You can't be serious! A 'professional' by definition does not lose stuff. Tell him to go to the Ford dealer (or NAPA, Carquest etal) and get one himself.
    I am a 'professional' and i know that wierd things happen, i deal with it and move on. I would never, by my lack of responsibility, put the customer in a situation that he would have to take action. If i lost that nut, i would get another and then admit to the customer that i had lost the original and that i had replaced it with new from from Ford.

4. billj

billj

I know this person well and he said he would get one but did not seem to be in a very big rush. I told him I was not happy with him dragging his feet to get another one. It was friday when i talked to him and being Memorial Day weekend, I told him I was going to try to find one cuz I know nothing is going to happen on his end this weekend. I am sure I will think twice using him again.

I am trying to find the size of an 8.8 in pinion shaft nut to see if it fits as suggested above but sometimes finding something online is not always easy.

Thanks, Bill

5. R Pope

R Pope

First try Ford dealers parts departments, then auto wreckers. Not Grade 8 or anything special, just a castellated nut. Machine shops might even have them. I recall having my local guy lathe a nut thinner for a similar application where the standard one was too thick.

6. oj

oj

Good for you, the nut is a Ratek #1502, or it is the same as the 8.8 and 9" amoung lots of others.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks oj!! :)

8. billj

billj

Thanks for the info, I'll go to Ford Dealership.

9. Makes you wonder how and if he set the pinion preload without the nut?

10. Deuces

Deuces

What is it??? 28" pounds of drag???

11. I not in the shop right now to see my chart Deuces but yes INCH POUNDS.

12. billj

billj

He didn't reassemble it yet. I thought I had a posi in the 8 inch that was put on my shoebox and when I went to change my ring & pinion, someone welded the spider gears in the carrier and made a locker. I found a rebuilt unit from Currie and while I was waiting for the shipment from Currie, he lost the nut.