Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not to mount an engine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's not a matter of whether the "system" works or not.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the "system" existing in the first place is the problem.

It's not an attitude issue but a matter of freedom.

That you live in a country that limits your freedom with such restrictive regulation, and that you accept it and defend it is what is truly sad.

2. JimSwann

JimSwann

I've been thru that type of stuff with my 35 Pickup. The x brace looked like it was chewed on by metal eating rats. Rear suspension mounts came loose with a good hammer lick. Steering linkage was scary as hell, still working on that. Truck was built in the 70s and driven alot over the years. Im suprised it wasnt wrecked due to the cobbled wad of crap that was under it.

3. Looks "old skool", has great "patina".

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have used them to weld up the advance slots in DOZENS of Mopar distributors over the years...

5. I certainly do! :eek:

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was betting thats who you were thinking of...:eek::D

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Yea I think I understand. No im not a moron. Are you??? So will you take 2 grand for it??? I mean your asking 4,500 But thats just a asking price right?

8. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

Blacktop I have to wonder if the Boy ever worked on a 1962 Unibody ( the one in my avatar ) . The motor mounts look very much like the ones in that 57 and your not that far from me :D.

Rick

9. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

For your sakes, I hope it's not the same person!!!!!!!!!!!

10. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

LOL dont worry I am about ready to take it apart to the last nut and bolt and put it back together " right ".

Rick

11. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

here ya go. mind you the frame mounts were equally well built. they fell off with a few hammer taps. & this thing only had 3 bolts in it...total.

Attached Files:

12. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

^ that should be posted under the title "Why "Rat Rod" is a dirty term....among other things"

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

My first car was a 57 Bel Aire. It had a 283 auto and I built a 302 and put a 4 speed behind it. When I was going to salvage yards to try to find a bell housing for it, most asked me why I didn't just use a later model aluminum bell. When I explained that I needed the bell for the rear engine mounts they told me to build a rear cross member for the tranny. I told them that the front mounts are too close to the center to hold the motor torque and the trans mount won't help with torque. I finally found a steel scattershield bell housing.

Even with that, I still put tie downs from the heads to the upper control arm mounts.

I had a friend put a 350 in a Vega and not build proper mounts. The motor turned over in the mounts and jammed the steering to one side. He died in the crash.

14. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Is that all diamond plate?

15. genosslk

genosslk

Good Gawd!!!!! Limited to the very essentials in design and tools I guess! I wonder what his house looks like!

16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

oh yeah!

17. Clik

Clik

Well said. Freedom first!

In fact it goes further: If it weren't for minimum wage laws and Child Labor laws in this country, more kids would be able to get experience in their chosen interests.

I used to work for a guy just to learn something and he would buy me lunch. I got no other pay. He didn't have a big enough operation or the money to pay anyone.

I learned alot and got enough experience to get a real job and had something to put on my resume.

QUOTE=Blue One;6588514]It's not a matter of whether the "system" works or not.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the "system" existing in the first place is the problem.

It's not an attitude issue but a matter of freedom.

That you live in a country that limits your freedom with such restrictive regulation, and that you accept it and defend it is what is truly sad.[/QUOTE]

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a sad topic. What's worse is there's more and more of this dangerous bullshit showing up on cars. Ever since Jesse James rolled a bike tank through an english wheel every swingin dick wannbe thinks "I can do it!" with no regard to the principles. No regard to basic metallurgy, proper welding techniques or even whether or not things can be welded. Then add to the mix that many of these posers lack basic geometry or math skills, and look at you like a deer in headlights when questioned of such things. Pay attention my HAMB bretheren, it's EVERYWHERE! I recently had to rework a Packard inner fender. The panel was aluminum. I swear to all of you, it took me less than 40min to repair it proper. The repair? Well how about masking tape, 'glass resin, and of course the gratuitous layers of duraglass and mud. It had to take hours to fuck it up like that and took so little time to simply weld in a new piece. Now we see this same ghetto approach on the OP's example where life and limb can be at risk. There was a recent post where a "pro" shop used a trans tunnel for an axle stop. While it's true we can't save em all, we can only hope that some of this field repair shit is discovered before some of us get hurt. I take some flak now and then due to my percieved "elitist" attitude towrd craftsmanship. So the fuck be it. Do it right or get the fuck away from the rest of us. My Dad and Grampa use to say "If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to it over?"

19. Clik

Clik

OK, there's the negative rant and while I don't disagree, where is the positive?

How many young guys have been run off and will never get the experience of those who know how to "do it right" simply because they asked a stupid question or used the term "R-- R--".

How many young guys, or even late bloomers, have we taken under our wings?

Maybe some of the Car Clubs could start a Critique Night or Courtesy Inspections.

I'm old enough and secure enough to ask stupid questions, but man! Some of you guys are rough on the FNGs out there on the street. Some guys are affraid to open their mouths and ask a question for fear of the wrath. That doesn't promote knowledge and quality workmanship.

20. Yes I agree that our system works very well and I was one of the doubters at first. I am a qualified Panelbeater and did my chassis work on my bucket which apart from adding nyloc nuts to three or four areas the car passed final inspection easy. I wouldn't like to see some of your cars with some of your engineering on the roads over here at the same time I using them thankyou.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll answer you and clik here. What I mean is that it takes more than "wanting" to master a skill, it takes being all in. As far as young new builders, well 2 out of 5 might make it. Too often there those from a generation or 2 behind that feel the need for instant gratification. By the look of some of the work I've seen that gratification is wanted at any and all cost. Hey, I want to drive a nitro F/C or FED. That doesn't mean I can just slap something together and pat myself on the back for "doing it".

As far as jesse James is concerned, hey guys I'm a fan. He's done a lot for trades and talent development. Still, just because some mouth breather watches TV it doesn't mean he can do what he watched because he has "desire". Anybody who does good work here knows what I'm saying. Your vibe is that you're all in. You know what's right and proceed accordingly. There's no excuse for those mounts. NONE. Maybe the boy's mama is proud of him for gettin dirty. What's that worth? Do we give an A for effort? Does he too get a trophy cuz he was on the hockey team but never hit the puck?

Next...

22. Jimm56

Jimm56

Any chance that manual is available on-line? Might be some good tips for us amateurs out here.

23. mustangsix

mustangsix

Food for thought, but statistically, there is little to no difference in the rate of accidents caused by mechanical failure between states with an inspection and those without. Anecdotally, you can always find stories about some catastrophic failure that killed many, but in the real analysis, those are very, very rare occurrences. Drinking, driving too fast for conditions, carelessness, distraction......those will kill you.

Rigorous inspections such as the German TUV, the Brit MOT, and whatever they have in Oz and NZ might make you feel better and enrich the government, but don't really make you any safer. You are more likely to be killed by a drunk or by a texting teen than a failed engine mount.

That said, I hate crappy workmanship, too, but don't see it as a huge threat.

24. I can't believe this post has run on for 8 pages. I guess I had better go out in the garage and do something, I am feeling guilty for reading it.:rolleyes:

25. Clik

Clik

Two Sky Diving operations:

Kiwi Air Jump: Supplies parachuttes packed by government inspectors.

American Air Jump: No government inspectors, pack your own chutte with instruction from experienced jumpers.

Which one would you choose?

I myself know how lazy most government inspectors are and I ain't jumpin' out of no plane with a chutte they packed!

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

lol:cool:

27. Yea mate, try Googling New Zealand hobby car technical manual. As opposed to what some of the other experts on this thread think we arn't really restricted to what we can do over here, its just done to a safe standard, For example I own a dodge bucket, 8 chrome non muffled pipes (no heat sheilds), Drag slicks on the rear and no fenders. Aussie have far stricter rules than here.

28. Nominal

Nominal

You have to buy the hard copy though. There isn't an on-line version as such.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

After some thinkin, i must admit, as much as i hate it, than i rather have guidelines to follow, of course bitchin about it, rather than being a complete outlaw as i am now.
    best option remain the us of a. i might even move there in the future.

30. Muttley

Muttley

Ol Skool Rodzzzzzz will be contacting you shortly for a cover shoot & tech feature article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.